AMCAS Post-Secondary Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freakazoid

Guy Friend Extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would one consider being a waiter an important experience among ten other experiences, since it's definitely not an easy job and something that I think most people should go through to understand, or has it no contribution to the medical world whatsoever?

Additionally, how perfect should be the descriptions? Is it necessary to revise them, and interpret my experience in addition to describing what I did?

Would it be okay if I put it in resume format, with action verb first, or does it need to be in proper grammatical format?

Just a couple of questions I had. :)

Members don't see this ad.

freak...

i waited tables on a cruise ship for a few months, but i didn't put it down. it wasn't a big enough deal for me to defend it to an imaginary ad com asking, "so why did you put this in your application?" if on the otherhand, perhaps in your case, i needed to work to support myself through school, and i were working 30+ hours a week, etc etc, and it somehow affected my or brought a needed dimension to my application, then maybe i would write it. what's it worth to you?

about the format. i've read on SDN most everybody has recommended resume style. i wrote mine in normal sentences because i felt that i couldn't say what i wanted to say resume style. they didn't say on the application how to write it, so i added a personal touch. i revised it and made it sound good. in my mind, it's just more space for you to distinguish yourself. why waste it with bland generic sentences? it's up to you.

could someone give me an example of their secondary experience explination?
i don't know why this is bothering me, but i'm having trouble.
also, is it ok to metion that you served 2 terms or 2 positions in the "position" part of it?
ex--president 1999-2000, secretary 1998-1999
or does that go in the details part?
ahhh, why is this so frustrating?????
I NEED A DRINK!!!!!
help please,
streetdoc