AMCAS Post-Secondary Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Res-J

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tutored several students in biology courses and I want to state that on my AMCAS application, but I'm unsure as to who I cite as my contact. The students I've tutored? What is that for anyway, for verification? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Was it within an official program sponsored by the dept. or university? If so, just put down whoever is aware of the program and who participates in it. If your tutoring was not done in an official capacity, however, I really don't think you should list this. It would look like you are stretching just to include some things.....

If it was through a dept or school then they are the contact. If it was independent tutoring then you could put the students name if they agree to be a contact. Otherwise I would still include it as teaching and mentoring expreience is well regarded in med admissions. If it puts your mind at ease any for some experiences I did not put any contact info - I could have verified any of it (which is the purpose of the contact info) but not all of my contacts were willing to have their phone numbers just stuck on. I don't think it's any more of a stretch to include it if it was private tutoring for which you were renumerated than if it were through a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
boy wonder, what do you mean not all of your contacts wanted to have their phone # stuck on? Im doing the amcas app now and I don't see anywhere we can list contact phone #?

well, it may have just changed - but I'm pretty sure last year it had contact info name and # on the AMCAS...but maybe I'm misremembering and it was just name??? I do know some schools contacted some of the contact people I put down and verified volunteer work

Hey I also have a question about very different experiences completed under the umbrella of one organization. at my school, there is a huge community service organization, and then that breaks off into different kinds of volunteer groupings. through this organization i was both a campus tour guide liason type person and also volunteered at a Ronald McDonald House. Obviously the two experiences are different, so should I list them as separate ones? I don't want to look like I'm padding my activities, but I do want adcoms to know that these were discrete time-devoted activities I participated in, not really part of this mishmosh of random stuff I did under one organization... does that make sense?

Also, I was an author on an abstract which I believe is pending submission, but has been presented at various pediatric research conferences. However, I did not attend any of these conferences since they were during the school year. Since it has not been published yet, how should I list this abstract... under poster/presenation (which is ok even if i wasn't the one presenting?)?

thanks

1. if they were both significant time committments then listing them separately is probably appropriate. If you just went to the R McD house a couple of times then really I would list it as one activity under the umbrella organization. I'm not sure how much of a committment each was so am not sure which to suggest.

2. Most "real" conferences have abstract volumes where the abstract will have been printed. This will have a citeable reference you can use. If not just list it as a presentation as "presented at XYZ meeting". It doesn't matter that you didn't present it.