AMCAS: Poster/ publication, most meaningful activity, hobbies question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imposter_syndrome

Reaction score
Hi, I have 3 separate questions.

I have a poster for a research project and the professor said that they wrote an abstract. I also have a publication (different paper). Can I just put the poster in the publication section? and if I do what do I need to say to inform them that it hasn't yet been published?
Also when I bullet point the publication/poster do I elaborate on the research in any way like going through my experience or go into some of the nitty gritty of the research or is it just bullet points. ( I talk about my research experience in a separate "research/lab" entry).

Is there a big issue with putting research as a most meaningful activity. I'm not doing an MD/PhD and I've heard that research heavy kids (I have tons of research) are looked at like "oh well why don't you do an PhD or do our MD/PhD program if your so interested". If it's better to put a hobby down then I'll do that, I have hobbies that are very meaningful to me.

I want to put 3 hobbies and I have a lot to say about each of them. Exercise, mindfulness, and cooking. Is this too much or it's not a problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have 3 separate questions.

1) I have a poster for a research project and the professor said that they wrote an abstract. I also have a publication (different paper). Can I just put the poster in the publication section? and if I do what do I need to say to inform them that it hasn't yet been published?
Also when I bullet point the publication/poster do I elaborate on the research in any way like going through my experience or go into some of the nitty gritty of the research or is it just bullet points. ( I talk about my research experience in a separate "research/lab" entry).

2) Is there a big issue with putting research as a most meaningful activity. I'm not doing an MD/PhD and I've heard that research heavy kids (I have tons of research) are looked at like "oh well why don't you do an PhD or do our MD/PhD program if your so interested". If it's better to put a hobby down then I'll do that, I have hobbies that are very meaningful to me.

3) I want to put 3 hobbies and I have a lot to say about each of them. Exercise, mindfulness, and cooking. Is this too much or it's not a problem?
1) An accepted manuscript goes under the Publications tab. An unrelated poster for which you are listed author and which has been accepted after a peer review process for a regional or national conference goes under a Posters/Presentations tab. If a related abstract is in a conference booklet, it is not a "publication" for our purposes (though it would be if it's in a national journal and has a PubMed ID#). If you want to save room, an option is to mention the poster in the same space as the affiliated research. If the poster is from the same project as the publication, then it can be mentioned in the same space as the publication.

A publication space generally includes only the citation, Any discussion of the related research goes in the Research space.

2) It's best to choose those activities that are truly most meaningful for the MM essay, though some use it for activities that need more description. Trying to second guess what adcomms want to see will be wrong half the time, so it's best to be genuine.

3) I would consider three to be too many. Try to group two of them or use an MM space.

Reactions: 3 users
1) An accepted manuscript goes under the Publications tab. An unrelated poster for which you are listed author and which has been accepted after a peer review process for a regional or national conference goes under a Posters/Presentations tab. If a related abstract is in a conference booklet, it is not a "publication" for our purposes (though it would be if it's in a national journal and has a PubMed ID#). If you want to save room, an option is to mention the poster in the same space as the affiliated research. If the poster is from the same project as the publication, then it can be mentioned in the same space as the publication.

A publication space generally includes only the citation, Any discussion of the related research goes in the Research space.

2) It's best to choose those activities that are truly most meaningful for the MM essay, though some use it for activities that need more description. Trying to second guess what adcomms want to see will be wrong half the time, so it's best to be genuine.

3) I would consider three to be too many. Try to group two of them or use an MM space.
Thanks. If it's an abstract in a conference booklet (and I don't want to take up space in my research section) my only option is to put it in the poster section ?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no citation either by the way, so I wanted to ask what I do about that too.
I'd list that as a presentation....

As for the hobbies, mindfulness may be useful to you and something we encourage in our med students but, frankly, as a hobby on the application, I'd find it a snore. Exercise and cooking can be solitary activities and those could be rejuvinating but you should keep in mind that you want to have someone read the "work & activities" section and look forward to meeting you and learning more about your activites because they find you interesting and want to get to know you. "What's your specialty? How did you learn to make it? What do you do with the food you cook? What have you not made that you'd like to try?"

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks. If it's an abstract in a conference booklet (and I don't want to take up space in my research section) my only option is to put it in the poster section ?
If you already cited the poster, the related abstract need not be cited as well. If you feel compelled to mention it anyway, enter it in the same space as the poster.

Reactions: 1 users
By the way the abstract is unrelated to the poster.
Sorry I misunderstood.
I have a poster for a research project and the professor said that they wrote an abstract.
It seemed like they were related.
If it's an abstract in a conference booklet (and I don't want to take up space in my research section) my only option is to put it in the poster section ?
Why was the abstract in a conference booklet? Did your PI (or a co-author) give a podium presentation? Are you an author listed on the abstract? More of an explanation will help us to give you the best advice.

Sorry I misunderstood.

It seemed like they were related.
Ah sh** I mispoke sorry for the confusion. They are related. I have a few different research stuff and got them mixed up. Ok here's the breakdown

1. I have a poster and there is a related full draft of a paper written based on that poster. Kinda like a full published paper except it's not published yet ( the PI will probably submit for publication if he hasn't already-I can't find it on pubmed so I assume he didn't submit it yet)

2. I also have just an abstract that was presented by my PI at a conference. Why was the abstract in a conference booklet? I guess because I finished the research. and yes I am an author on this abstract.

I also wanted to ask how I know if I'm first, second, or third author on the paper.

Ah sh** I mispoke sorry for the confusion. They are related. I have a few different research stuff and got them mixed up. Ok here's the breakdown

1. I have a poster and there is a related full draft of a paper written based on that poster. Kinda like a full published paper except it's not published yet ( the PI will probably submit for publication if he hasn't already-I can't find it on pubmed so I assume he didn't submit it yet)

2. I also have just an abstract that was presented by my PI at a conference. Why was the abstract in a conference booklet? I guess because I finished the research. and yes I am an author on this abstract.

I also wanted to ask how I know if I'm first, second, or third author on the paper.

Smith M, Jones R, Lee S. Smith is the first author, Jones is the second author and Lee is the third author. The final name on the list is the "senior author" which is a place of honor, usually the role reserved for the PI or the head of the lab.

1) A manuscript in progress, or submitted, or under review, is not yet a "publication." Save this for an update after it's accepted for publication (being sure you're listed as an author). The related poster can be cited in a Presentations/Posters space.

2) The podium presentation given by your PI had your name on the authorship list of the abstract, so this can be included as another item in the same Presentations/Posters space, but be sure to give credit to the actual presenter.

1) A manuscript in progress, or submitted, or under review, is not yet a "publication." Save this for an update after it's accepted for publication (being sure you're listed as an author). The related poster can be cited in a Presentations/Posters space.

2) The podium presentation given by your PI had your name on the authorship list of the abstract, so this can be included as another item in the same Presentations/Posters space, but be sure to give credit to the actual presenter.

@LizzyM @gonnif @Moko
@Catalystik

1.) When we have a slot for a publication, in addition to including the citation, do you prefer that we use the entire space to explain the publication in detail and our thought process or should we talk more about what working on the manuscript meant for us?

For ex. I think the basic format for a research description is:

1st sentence: What did you research?
2nd sentence: What did you find?

2.) Do you want us to use the space after these two sentences, to justify how we found what we did? or is it better to just start talking about why working on the manuscript was important to us and what we learned?

3.) What is you opinion on just starting the description bluntly stating what we discovered, without including a sentence before on "what we researched." That way we have more dedicated space, to talk about why the manuscript was important to us.

What is your preference?

Last edited:
1.) When we have a slot for a publication, in addition to including the citation, do you prefer that we use the entire space to explain the publication in detail and our thought process or should we talk more about what working on the manuscript meant for us?
For ex. I think the basic format for a research description is:
1st sentence: What did you research?
2nd sentence: What did you find?

2.) Do you want us to use the space after these two sentences, to justify how we found what we did? or is it better to just start talking about why working on the manuscript was important to us and what we learned?

3.) What is you opinion on just starting the description bluntly stating what we discovered, without including a sentence before on "what we researched." That way we have more dedicated space, to talk about why the manuscript was important to us.

What is your preference?
The primary application alone often includes 30-35+ pages of information. As an applicant, you should include whatever is needed for us to fairly assess your application. However, you should only "use the entire space" if you have meaningful information to share. The more you write, the more diluted the important stuff becomes.

For the 'Publication' description:
- It is usually pretty obvious from the title what was being researched and what was found. So explicitly restating "what did I research" and "what did I find" seems like a waste of space, unless you have something else to add.
- Similarly, I would avoid feeling the need to defend and "to justify how we found what we did". If your interviewer was interested in this minutiae, they can ask during the interview.
- I think that it is very appropriate (and expected) for applicants to reflect on the insights and lessons learned from the research/publication process, though these can be included as part of the 'Publication' or 'Research' descriptions.
- It is not uncommon for applicants to simply list their publications' citation, especially if they have multiple publications to report.
- Some applicants get creative to save characters, e.g. '1st author in "Cat ownership associated with increased risk of lacerations and bartonella infections" (Doggo J, 2019; PMID: 12345678)'. Not proper citation format, but I haven't seen it brought up negatively at my school's deliberations.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please have mercy on us. We have about 30 minutes to read an entire AMCAS application and secondary plus the letters. Just the citation of a publication will suffice in that slot. You may go on about the work in the slot devoted to the research that led to the publication.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Please have mercy on us. We have about 30 minutes to read an entire AMCAS application and secondary plus the letters. Just the citation of a publication will suffice in that slot. You may go on about the work in the slot devoted to the research that led to the publication.

Thanks for your response @LizzyM! I do have a question regarding grouping publications and posters/presentations into a single category.

I currently have one publication from a research endeavor and a few presentations/posters from an entirely separate research project. Would it be okay if I cite them all together under one slot on AMCAS (say under the publications header)?

1.)I feel that this allows more space to talk about the impact of those projects on us, within the large research spaces, rather than using it up on mentioning these accomplishments.

2.) I also feel that creating a section on its own for all of the above, might even make them more noticeable for adcoms reading our app, who otherwise might overlook them when stated within the individual research portion. Do you think so too?

Publications and presentations are different tags. Having one of each would be better, I think, than stuffing things that aren't publications under the publication tag.

Research activity 1
Publication
Research activity 2
Posters & presentations

That leaves 11 more slots for volunteering, paid employment, shadowing, other clinical activity, hobbies (or artistic endeavors or athletics), leadership (over-rated), teaching/tutoring and the rest.

Publications and presentations are different tags. Having one of each would be better, I think, than stuffing things that aren't publications under the publication tag.

Research activity 1
Publication
Research activity 2
Posters & presentations

That leaves 11 more slots for volunteering, paid employment, shadowing, other clinical activity, hobbies (or artistic endeavors or athletics), leadership (over-rated), teaching/tutoring and the rest.
Unfortunately, I'm really crunched for space. If I create a separate space for Posters & presentations, then I'll have to remove another activity.

My options are either...

1.) Mention the presentation and poster within the same space as Research activity 2.
OR
2.) Group them with the publication, pertaining to Research activity 1, under one Publication section (with the title: Publications, Presentations, Posters).

What would you recommend? I just worry that if I choose option #1, then adcoms who are quickly skimming, may overlook the mention of the poster & presentation due to the larger paragraph; However, I may be able to bullet point it after the research description.

Research activity 1
Publication
Research activity 2
Posters & presentations

Fold presentation into research activity that resulted in the presentation.

I'l follow your advice @LizzyM and @Moko @Catalystik ! I do have one other question, which may open up an extra slot for me on AMCAS. I have a section dedicated to Honors and awards, specifically they are indicating only the following:

-Magna Cum Laude (GPA at the 4 year institution: Blah blah)
-Departmental Honors (Upper Division GPA at the 4 year institution: Blah blah)
-College Honors program.

I am a community college transfer student and so my hope is that by listing the above, adcoms will be able to see my cumulative performance ALONE at the 4 year institution, irrespective of the first two years at the community college.

I know that GPAs are broken down year by year, and there is the cumulative gpa but unless you look at my 4 year transcript, you won't be able to tell what gpa I earned at the 4 year institution alone (excluding the gpa from the first two years at community college). Do you think this is good to include, or is it kind of wasteful?

Last edited:
If you have a 4.0 there is absolutely no added value in pointing out that you received an award for that GPA. If the school had so much grade deflation that a 3.6 garnered magna cum laude, that would be a different situation.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have a 4.0 there is absolutely no added value in pointing out that you received an award for that GPA. If the school had so much grade deflation that a 3.6 garnered magna cum laude, that would be a different situation.

@Catalystik @Moko @LizzyM @Doctor-S

My grade breakdown is as follows (cumulative gpa):

Freshman 3.87
Sophomore 3.76
Junior 3.57
Senior 4.00

Total Cum GPA: 3.83

At my 4 year institution (my final two years), I obtained a cumulative gpa of 3.84, which is Magna Cum Laude. The only reason I see a need to include a section for Honors and awards, is to specifically showcase my performance in my final two years at the 4 year institution. Now looking at the breakdown above, adcoms won't know exactly what gpa I earned at the 4-year institution alone... bc its combined with my cc gpa (unless you look at each transcript)?

That's why I thought for someone in my situation who went to a cc, it might be advantageous to include a section with the following:

Graduated Magna Cum Laude (Cumulative GPA at Northwestern University: 3.84)
Graduated Chemistry Departmental Honors (Upper Division Science GPA at Northwestern University: 3.74)

Q.) Do you see this the same way? I hope what I said makes sense. If you feel that this won't do anything to help me, then I'll remove it.

Last edited:
Sorry, I misunderstood the 4 in your earlier post. Your GPA is shown in a grid by year in school with columns for sciences (BCPM), all other, and total. The academic honors are not at all useful in the work and activities section. They are occupying valuable real estate on the application that is better used to tell me what you have done outside of academics.

Sorry, I misunderstood the 4 in your earlier post. Your GPA is shown in a grid by year in school with columns for sciences (BCPM), all other, and total. The academic honors are not at all useful in the work and activities section. They are occupying valuable real estate on the application that is better used to tell me what you have done outside of academics.

Hi @Moko and @LizzyM,

I received Catalystik’s response on this, but I was also curious to know your take on it.

Would it be appropriate (because I’m crunched for space) to combine Research Presentations and Distinctions (not research related/ academic Honors) into a single category?

The only reason I ask is because my dream school indicated to me that they give extra points when they see honors on a primary application. Unfortunately, I can’t afford to give honors/ awards it’s own space and can only add it onto my presentations’ citations. But if you both feel strongly one way or the other then I’m ready to omit the honors entirely, because I don’t want to alienate all my other schools, if it will give of a bad impression.

Here is how I was thinking of doing it:

Ex./

Category: Presentations & Posters
Title: First Author Presentations and Distinctions

Presentations:

* Research Citation*
- Oral Presented at _____ Conference

* Research Citation*
- Poster Presented at _____ Conference

Distinctions:
- Indicating my academic honors

Would it be appropriate (because I’m crunched for space) to combine Research Presentations and Distinctions (not research related/ academic Honors) into a single category?

The only reason I ask is because my dream school indicated to me that they give extra points when they see honors on a primary application. Unfortunately, I can’t afford to give honors/ awards it’s own space and can only add it onto my presentations’ citations. But if you both feel strongly one way or the other then I’m ready to omit the honors entirely, because I don’t want to alienate all my other schools, if it will give of a bad impression.

Here is how I was thinking of doing it:

Ex./

Title: First Author Presentations and Distinctions

Presentations:

* Research Citation*

* Research Citation*

Distinctions:
- Indicating my academic honors
This would be very strange. I would not force two unrelated activities together. It would be different if your distinctions were research-related. Keep in mind that academic honors are also frequently brought up in the committee letter and/or individual letters of recommendation. So adcoms can get this information from your primary application without your using a valuable activities slot.

Alternatively, are you certain that there is no way to combine two similar low-hours/low-impact activities together? Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
This would be very strange. I would not force two unrelated activities together. It would be different if your distinctions were research-related. Keep in mind that academic honors are also frequently brought up in the committee letter and/or individual letters of recommendation. So adcoms can get this information from your primary application without your using a valuable activities slot.

Alternatively, are you certain that there is no way to combine two similar low-hours/low-impact activities together? Just my thoughts.

Hi @Moko

Unfortunately the school I went to doesn’t have a committee letter, and none of my individual letter writers will likely know of or indicate my academic honors :/ I really would hate to use up a whole activity slot on Academic Honors (I would have to remove an experience), so I am just caught in a very tricky situation.

1.) I tried to combine everything as much as I could, and my remaining experiences are all very valuable to me. It looks like I should either omit the honors entirely, or basically fit it into my research citations section.

2.) Do you think that adcoms will look at it in a negative light potentially or just find it weird? Nevertheless, I want to do what's in my best interest for all schools out there, not just one! So whatever you say, I'll just stick with that.

Once again, here is the format I was thinking of following....

Ex./

Experience Name: First Author Presentations and Academic Distinctions

Description: -------------------------------------------------------

Presentations:

* Research Citation*

* Research Citation*

Distinctions:
- Cum Laude
- Honors Program

Better you should add the presentations and posters to the entry(entries) describing your research and give Honors its own slot if you know that a specific adcom is looking to bump you if you have Honors.