AMCAS - Practice Vision Essay, HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Wyldstyle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, what's the deal here? What did you all guys write? Let's talk about this cause this sure wasn't here on AMCAS last year!

wyldstyle2000

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, its another brainchild by those geniuses at the AAMC.

I'd rather not write about something like this because it feels like I'm limiting myself. I'd rather keep all my options for practicing medicine open at this point rather than pin it down to one specific option out of a host of possibilities.

I honestly think that this question is not going to help the adcomms evaluate anybody. Its my guess people would start writing about how they want to treat URMs and live in rural areas just to look good to the committee. And dont tell me that the adcomm can see right through it, either. In another thread, I think we clearly established that its somewhat easy for some people to BS their way through interviews. And its even easier to do in an essay.

I do have a general idea of where I want to be in 10 years, just not a hammered-down, detail intensive checklist. Nontrad students may benefit from this question so I'm thinking this question might have been added wtih them in mind.

So your not going to fill it out?

Also, off-topic: By your quote, is that Islamic? Do you know where can I learn more about the Islamic religion. I've found it to be fascinating.

Thanks,
wyldstyle2000

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor,
I think you are exactly right about it being easy to look good on that essay. however, I'm a non-trad and I still have only a vague idea of what I am going to say. One of the things I want to do in 10 years is volunteer for Doctors Without Borders, but if I put that in the essay, it will sound too cliche'. So, this presents a new problem. How do you keep from sounding like you're sucking up when you really do want to work in human rights groups?

Jalopycat, if that's what you honestly want to do, I would encourage you to put that down, I really don't think that a lot of other people will be putting that down as I would hope that most people would be honest and most people would not think of doing that (because financial (debt) considerations, and family and other things). I'm already a med student but I don't understand why this question that I keep hearing about is giving you guys so much trouble. It's not like they are making you sign a contract saying that you have to do this because you indicated you wanted to do this on your application, just put down whatever fantasy practice you have in your mind, no one will get mad if you change your mind, everyone changes your mind. When I applied for medical school, I said that I wanted to be in academic medicine because I wanted to teach as well as practice medicine, I had to answer that question in my secondaries though, but I thought that it was important to my application. Just be honest, if you want to be the head neurosurgeon of the country, say that's what you want to be, or if you want to go out into rural USA and practice in a farm or if you would rather own your own private practice, just be honest. I really don't think that anyone is going to look you up in 4 years and see if you are doing what you said that you wanted to do, we all change our minds. It tells them something about your personality though.

wildstyle,

Yes I'm going to fill it out. It will just take me some time to focus on writing something that wont sound to generalized or wishy-washy, given that I'm not exactly sure how I want to end up in 10 years. I guess I'm going to pick one scenario that I have thought about before and go with that, instead of trying to put in generalized info about multiple situations that I would be happy in.

As far as the quote, its from one of the great leaders of the modern Islamic movement. I'm Christian, so although I dont prescribe to the religious principles of Islam, I do like some of its philosophical tenets.

The quote itself is religiously neutral, and says something about the power of an individual, so thats why I picked it. There are scores of resources on Islam. Just check out your college library and theres everything you would need.

Thanks, I will do same w/the prac. vision essay. I'm also Christian, but Islam has some very strong points. My best friend in high school was Muslim and taught me alot. Thanks.

Originally posted by baylor21:
•As far as the quote, its from one of the great leaders of the modern Islamic movement.•
Actually, Elijah Mohamed is NOT Muslim. He is from the Nation of Islam which has NOTHING to do with true Islam. If you remember, Malcom X joined this organization first, then later converted to the TRUE Islam. The Nation of Islam was notorious in the 1950s for being a proponent of segregation and allows only black people to join their movement while the true Islam is very opposed to this notion. Elijah Mohamed was a farse and is largely disliked in Muslim communities.

The other Islam (the real one) is one that has about 2 billion followers worldwide, of every nationality you can imagine (Black, white, Malaysian, Chinese, Bosnian, Middle Eastern, etc.) The two organizations did not get along very well because the Muslims feel they have been misrepresented by this small faction, that in reality, has no relation to their Islam.

I find the study of all religions fascinating as well, especially Islam.

For more info on Islam's tenets, see this site:
Basic Info on Islam

I just reread this and it sounds antagonistic. It's not meant to be. It's only meant to clarify a common misconception. Sorry if I sound rude today. :)

AAhhh....that's right. I forgot. Heh heh, I read the Malcom X's biography when I was 13, its been awhile. Thanks.

wyldstyle

Well-done 'Praying4MD', for that much needed response.

My concern with the new essays ( I also have to fill out the one about academic suspension from my first attempt at college, ten years ago) is how carefully are the ADCOMS going to examine them? If they read these as closely as the personel statement, that is great, because it means you have more room to express yourself; however, if they are not going to be well read, you risk leaving important material out of your statement. Any thoughts?

My mistake, praying4MD. Obviously I have not spent any significant amount of time learning about either the Nation of Islam or true Islam, for that matter.

I chose the quote because I think it says something powerful about the potential for an individual to make change, not because I'm a particular admirer of Elijah Mohammed.

I like Islam for its dedication to the principle of obeying God and submitting to him. I read the Koran a few years back and it emphasizes this idea to a greater extent than even the Bible. One thing I dont necessarily enjoy about the Koran is that it seems to be at its core, a list of rules and regulations. Thats necessary of course, but one reason I like the Bible is because of the rich narrative of stories interspersed throughout, which is lacking in the Koran.

Originally posted by baylor21:
•...I have not spent any significant amount of time learning about either the Nation of Islam or true Islam, for that matter.

I like Islam for its dedication to the principle of obeying God and submitting to him. I read the Koran a few years back and it emphasizes this idea to a greater extent than even the Bible. One thing I dont necessarily enjoy about the Koran is that it seems to be at its core, a list of rules and regulations. Thats necessary of course, but one reason I like the Bible is because of the rich narrative of stories interspersed throughout, which is lacking in the Koran.•
Don't underestimate your knowledge on the subject! :) Reading the Quran is quite an undertaking & I am already impressed. Very true assessment. Many people characterize the Bible as being mainly narrative with theology interwomen throughout while the Quran is mainly theology with narratives interlaced. I agree, and it is actually this aspect of it that appeals to me. Different strokes for different folks I suppose! :)

Linda: Thanks for that excellent advice. I, too, am having this problem of sounding, for lack of a better word, "mushy," very "packaged" and practiced because of the "save the world" element. Your advice was good and helped to clarify the direction I need to be heading.

My plan was to actually put into the practice vision part what I thought health care would be like in ten years. I'm fairly well versed in MCOs and the like and was thinking if I showed some of my knowledge on the subject it might look good. Besides having the possibility of sounding bleak does anybody see anything wrong with that idea or has something better. I really appreciate Linda's remarks.