Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

AMCAS question for you seasoned SDNers

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by derf, Apr 18, 2004.

1. derf

derf Ohio Land
    7+ Year Member

Will AMCAS allow me to check the aug 2004 MCAT box (that I plan to take the summer test) after I submit in early June indicating I WILL NOT take the august test. That is, I plan to submit in early June indicating that i do not plan to take the August test, but may change my mind if I'm unhappy with the April scores.

Or is this something you can't modify in AMCAS.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

You will have your scores before you submit your AMCAS. I have no idea how you could submit your AMCAS without first knowing your MCAT score, as you wouldn't know whether you were competive at certain schools.

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yep, you will get your scores back before the June AMCAS date. So you will know if you are taking the August MCAT. I hope you won't have to though. :D

5. Wahooali

Wahooali The Real Sydney Bristow
    7+ Year Member

We will? I didn't think we would get our scores until the middle of June. Which shouldn't hurt too much since it is only a couple weeks later, but I would like to get my AMCAS in as soon as humanly possible. So, I am having the same dilemma...as a long-shot applicant (below avg GPA, probably not stellar, but hopefully decent MCAT scores) it depends a lot on my MCAT and when I submit my application. So I'm wondering about all this timing and everything too.

6. TRUE

7+ Year Member

Let's get a few things straight. No matter when you submit your AMCAS, the earliest they are transmitted to the schools is July 15th. It is still recommended that you turn it in as soon as possible, but that includes "reasonably possible". In other words, it's not rational to turn in your application before getting your MCAT scores. There is no way you know what schools to send your application to.

Have your AMCAS ready, wait until you get your MCAT scores, and then decide what schools to apply to (you should have a good list already, but after the MCAT scores, you should tweak as necessary). Then you can submit it.

For reference, I sent my AMCAS the 2nd week of July and still interviewed at Albert Einstein the first possible interview day. Don't get super-anxious about sending in the AMCAS.

7. derf

derf Ohio Land
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the responses thus far, but I don't believe there was an answer for my question. sorry about the confusion :)

I'm planning to submit early June (around June 1) and MCAT's don't come out until around June 25. Would it be possible if I can go back after I "certify and submit" to indicate that I will be taking the Aug test afterall?

8. TRUE

7+ Year Member

No. Once you submit, you're done. As I've said already, it would be foolish to submit before you know your scores anyway, but I guess that's up to you.

9. derf

derf Ohio Land
    7+ Year Member

O.K. thanks Facted...I guess I'll just wait until the scores come out in late June.
    :)

10. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Unless this is a difference in procedure, AMCAS won't let you send your application into them that early anyway. If I recall, it doesn't open for processing until mid June and even then you will have to take the time to fill out your entire application and personal essay and schools and EC's section. So you see, you wouldn't be able to send it June 1st anyway. You can send in transcripts early but not the application itself until it is up on the web which is mid June.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFO: Once you submit your application you can NOT go back and change. The only thing you can do is add another school you want to apply to and I think you can change your address. BUT THAT IS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So please, make sure everything is correct, you have included everything and you have proofread everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

I had also heard on SDN that the AMCAS opens up for people to fill out in May, but they can't turn in the AMCAS until June 1st. Also, the congestion on the AMCAS site is supposed to be really bad so maybe turning it in on June 1st would be ok if you have your scores back.

12. TRUE

7+ Year Member

I'm not really sure what you might be referring to, but there is a little bit of a lag between when your AMCAS is received and when it is transmitted. During this period, there is a time called "transcript verification". Still, though, as I've said, no matter what the application isn't sent to the schools until July 15th.

13. tugbug

tugbug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I sent my AMCAS in before the scores were released last year. My AMCAS is actually where I first saw my score. For me, and Im guessing for others, my range of schools to apply to was unlikely to change much based on my scores. At the very most, the change would have been to add more schools. I would actually recommend transmitting that app on the first day possible unless you have a situation like this. Mine was verified in ?2 days?... not weeks.

To second the answer to the OPs question though, you cannot change your answer to the August question... so, if you transmit early, either go on and check yes (risking schools waiting for your August scores to check you out) or risk having to contact each school with that info.

Good luck. I'd wait the extra few weeks if I was concerned.

14. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

July 15? OMG I thought it was June 15th.

15. Treg

Treg Surgeon in training
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why not submit as early as possible, with only one school, and then add schools once you get your score? That is what I was thinking of doing, since I am sitting on a few waitlists.

Cheers,

Treg

16. TexasRose

TexasRose Gotta run
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it's perfectly fine to submit your app before you get your scores, esp if you feel that you did okay. (and had enough practice exams to base that feeling on)

It takes so long to get the transrcripts received and verified. If you blew away the test, you can always add more schools later on. besides, your MCAT score alone shouldn't define where you apply.

17. TRUE

7+ Year Member

I'm about 99% sure it's July 15th. That's why I find it a little crazy when people insist you send it in the first week of June. Your application might not be the 1st one sent out if you aren't the first one to turn it in, but the lag time isn't so bad either. A friend of mine sent his in first week of June and his application was transmitted about a week before mine, even though I sent mine in the 2nd week of July.

It also depends on how long it takes to verify your transcript. If you have a hugely convulted transcript and you attended 8 different schools and so forth, that could take a while. I suggest you request those transcripts nice and super early (especially for any abroad programs you did).

18. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

Well, not 8 schools, but yes, its around there. My transcripts are a mess, with classes all over the place. Anyways, I want to get it out of the way so I can go on vacation while not thinking about it.

19. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

As far as I know, applications could have been submitted by June 3rd, but schools could not see/have the transmitted application until July 1st. I am almost positive about this. However, historically, some schools do not look at apps until a later date either mid-or late July. :)

20. TRUE

7+ Year Member

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=74605&highlight=AMCAS+2004+dates

For those of you who want a timeline of how it went last year, check out that thread. The early postings in that thread were on July 13th and note that everyone said that their application had not been transmitted yet. The first transmit date was July 14th.

21. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Regardless of *when* they are transmitted to schools FIRST amcas has to get your transcripts this can take weeks so send in transcripts as soon as amcas allows you to print off the transcript request form sometime in early May as you begin to fill out the application. Once amcas has received your transcripts then they have to verify your grades which can take up to six weeks, then and only then is your application ready to be sent to medical schools. Do NOT wait until July to start the ball rolling...Here is some details from the amcas 2004 help menu.

Application Processing
    AMCAS processing normally takes approximately four to six weeks, and begins once all materials (including all official transcripts in support of your application) are received.

Once your application has been submitted to AMCAS, AMCAS performs an initial review to determine if there are any missing or incorrectly completed items that may prevent processing. If omissions or errors cannot be resolved, your application will be returned. You may not submit a corrected or changed application unless specifically requested to do so by AMCAS.

Once your application has passed this initial review:

Acknowledgment of its receipt will be sent to you via e-mail provided you have included a valid internet address. You may also verify receipt through the Voice Response System or on by returning to your application's Welcome page. Such acknowledgment does not indicate that your materials are complete or that deadline requirements have been satisfied.

AMCAS will then determine if all official transcripts have arrived. If not, your application will be held until they are all present. You will receive an e-mail notification every ten working days until missing transcripts arrive or until all deadlines have passed.

When your application and all transcripts are on file, AMCAS verifies your Academic Record against your official transcripts.

AMCAS is not responsible for materials that take longer to process.

AMCAS will stop verifying your materials and an e-mail notification will be sent if any missing or incomplete transcripts are discovered during verification.

AMCAS may return your application to you and you may miss deadlines if major errors or omissions in course listings are found during verification.

22. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Also I had zero problems filling this out last year the website was fine so do not worry. I think amcas finally worked out the major glitches of the previous year...