Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

AMCAS Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rxfudd, May 1, 2001.

1. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    For the Post-Secondary Experiences section, how is everyone filling this out (for those of you who have started, that is)? I am not sure that I want to include all of the non-required information, so I am filling out the required things and then explaining the activity in a bit more detail in the text box at the bottom. Do you think this is wise? And would it look funny to only give contact info for some activities and not for others?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

I have no choice but to leave out some contact information. For instance, the likelihood of anyone who was in my unit while I was in the Army still being stationed at the same place, and the likelihood of my remembering the contact information are both the zero.

I don't know how it will look, but if you can't help it, what can you do?

4. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

They can't expect you to enter in all contacts for every single activity you've ever done.

They should emphasize that its not required info. I seriously doubt there is a single person at the college, graduate or professional level who could provide up to date contacts for every single activity they've done the last 4 or so years.

Just fill out what you can and move on.

5. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, my question is whether or not I should even put contacts at all? Do you think I would be penalized for having no contact info? After all, it is optional. I sort of wish they had either made it mandatory or left it off altogether. There's something about "optional" that I don't trust...

6. Mikado

Mikado Senior Member

Don't sweat it. I personally doubt that anyone is ever going to actually check that stuff. They just don't have the time.

That said, if you leave it blank it does look a bit sus.

If the number is old, whats the worst that can happen? They just get one of those recordings saying that its a non working number.

7. ppanthr

ppanthr Junior Member

Hi there!

I have another question regarding the post-secondary experiences.. in the end where it asks for a brief description of the experience.. if its a past job you have have had.. do you list the job duties/responsibilities? I mean I assume this is what you do but I just want to be sure. Since this is kind of an important application I don't want to screw it up on something this simple..
    thanks!

Becky

8. Col_4:14

Col_4:14 Senior Member

Hey guys, I think I am either very forgetful or I didn't read the instructions more clearly :D
    But I don't remember listing any contacts and it was not a problem for me to get in (as far as THAT goes :D ). I too was in the military so it would have been useless to mention them.
    But again, I don't know.

Ididn't either!!! Baylor21 corrects my information in a later post... read on!!

9. Col_4:14

Ppanther, I was told by an adcom that any time they ask for list-type questions it is best to write them in list form chronologically. For example:

1999-2001 Shriners Hospital Volunteer Physical rehab, assisting Physical therapists with patients, helping children with daily needs.
    1998-2000 Cancer Hospital volunteer, assisted in palliative care (art, singing, comfort).

I was told that experience written in this way is easier to read quickly. Hope this helps. I am sure there are other ideas out there.

10. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

Col,

I believe this is the first year they started asking for contact information for "postsecondary experiences" on the application.

11. Col_4:14

OHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh OK thanks :D !! Wow then I really don't know the answer to the original question.

12. coop

coop Senior Member

yeah, this is the first year they ask for contact info for each "experience". They also give you about a quarter page to write about this "experience". It's intended to strike some fear in the hearts of those who do things like list themselves as president of a club they made up which has only one member :) or from just outright lying altogether. There's like a page of stuff to fill out for each of these such "experiences". This includes everything from sports teams, honor societis, clubs, volunteer, etc etc. Ugh, I feel like I gotta get started, how about after finals. on that note I'm supposed to be writing a paper. goodnite.

13. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

Yeah you would think most people would be honest on the app since they want to be future doctors but AMCAS must have a really big problem with falsified apps.

They have a whole section on their website devoted to the investigations they run.

14. cjkalmat

cjkalmat Member

Just a sugestion from someone who went thru this process last year....

Dont Forget to use the Bold and Underline functions on AMCAS

Make good and proper use of this key tool...many applicants seem to forget about these.

For example when you are listing your Work Experiences, give your self a title (in bold and underlined) then brief description of your job.

Good Luck to everyone, it's a greuling process and AMCAS is only the begining of your journey (Secondaries are so much more work).

CJ

15. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Actually, cj, those aren't available, since it's not a paper application, and they don't have a BOLD key. They have individual slots for the information you're talking about, though.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. cjkalmat

cjkalmat Member

Actually, I wasn't refering to the Paper application. Last year I used AMCAS-E (the one that you can download or get on disk). This format had a Bold and Underline function. That's too bad if they removed it this year. Well, good luck anyways.

And remember to get working on those Transcripts...sometimes schools take a while to get them out. You should get your transcripts mailed before you submit your application. I think AMCAS starts accepting transcripts on May 15th.

18. coop

coop Senior Member

this year it's not the AMCAS-E, its a totally new thing that's completely online (AMCAS-E was downloading then uploading). and so far I'd have to say it's been a complete failure, but it does look kinda nice.

19. EMDrMoe

EMDrMoe Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    AMCAS started accepting transcripts on March 15th. That's good, considering the fact that they may not have a completed application to look at! Has anyone gotten on the web app in the last 4 days?

20. 12R34Y

Attending Physician
    I seem to be able to get on without a problem, but it is soooo slow (2-3 minutes per page) that I usually get frustrated after entering very little info and log back off, which also takes forever!

I don't know when I'm going to have time to sit down and do this whole thing. At this rate it'll take 2 full weeks of 8 hour days.

later