AMCAS "right" way and reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHrdMedOftn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am reappyling this year - and was wondering two questions:

1) Should I rewrite my Extracurricular Activities on my AMCAS app? (re-word/revise the explanation of what I did at the activity)

2) If so, is there a link or a book I can buy that can describe to me how I should correctly write these explanations on AMCAS?

ie: One of my EC (job shadowing) explanations looked like this:

"As a pre-medicine student, I have had the pleasure of shadowing in a variety of settings, allowing me to gain invaluable experience in different areas of medicine. This cross-sectional view of medicine made me more aware of the differences among specialties. While shadowing in the gastroenterology office, I had the opportunity to observe endoscopic procedures, as well as a few colonoscopies, and watch how the physician biopsied tissue for analysis. I learned that skill in technique is crucial. Also, being in an Emergency Room offered me a view of a multitude of professions in the healthcare field such as ER physicians, orthopedic physicians, anesthesiology, radiology, and an array of ancillary staff."

spacer.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am reappyling this year - and was wondering two questions:

1) Should I rewrite my Extracurricular Activities on my AMCAS app? (re-word/revise the explanation of what I did at the activity)

2) If so, is there a link or a book I can buy that can describe to me how I should correctly write these explanations on AMCAS?

ie: One of my EC (job shadowing) explanations looked like this:

"As a pre-medicine student, I have had the pleasure of shadowing in a variety of settings, allowing me to gain invaluable experience in different areas of medicine. This cross-sectional view of medicine made me more aware of the differences among specialties. While shadowing in the gastroenterology office, I had the opportunity to observe endoscopic procedures, as well as a few colonoscopies, and watch how the physician biopsied tissue for analysis. I learned that skill in technique is crucial. Also, being in an Emergency Room offered me a view of a multitude of professions in the healthcare field such as ER physicians, orthopedic physicians, anesthesiology, radiology, and an array of ancillary staff."

spacer.gif

A lot of that is filler, e.g. you don't have to mention that you are a "pre-medicine student." There are also some grammar issues, as well as a frequent (mis)use of the passive voice. And then there is the content: why was this experience "invaluable" to you? Are the "differences" between specialities the main thing you want to highlight/got out of shadowing? If so, what differences did you notice? Don't make the reader read between the lines.

Skill in technique? :confused: You're making me work too hard to find an answer.