AMCAS school list for TX resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noahconstrictor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats first:

3.4 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA. Grad. in '05 with a 3.2, and recently finished 46 hours post-bacc for my prerequisites getting a 3.9 (retaking a D in calculus explains the sGPA hit).

35 MCAT (14 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS -- wish i'd taken a physiology class, a bank of kidney questions killed me)

6 months full time research (still ongoing) and 2.5 years as a social worker at a psychiatric clinic (so, able to work closely with doctors but not necessarily "medical"). Some other small volunteering stuff.

Sorta non-trad. Here's my school list right now:

Baylor
Drexel, Temple, Jefferson in Phil.
GWU & Gtown in DC.
Tulane
Miami

Am I applying broadly enough? It's mostly a financial decision, combined with me thinking I'd literally die in the wrong climate and preferring urban areas. I'm also applying through TMDSAS. Any recommendations on schools that I really should be applying to but have omitted? Are any of the above going to not consider my app based on scores or residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Stats first:

3.4 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA. Grad. in '05 with a 3.2, and recently finished 46 hours post-bacc for my prerequisites getting a 3.9 (retaking a D in calculus explains the sGPA hit).

35 MCAT (14 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS -- wish i'd taken a physiology class, a bank of kidney questions killed me)

6 months full time research (still ongoing) and 2.5 years as a social worker at a psychiatric clinic (so, able to work closely with doctors but not necessarily "medical"). Some other small volunteering stuff.

Sorta non-trad. Here's my school list right now:

Baylor
Drexel, Temple, Jefferson in Phil.
GWU & Gtown in DC.
Tulane
Miami

Am I applying broadly enough? It's mostly a financial decision, combined with me thinking I'd literally die in the wrong climate and preferring urban areas. I'm also applying through TMDSAS. Any recommendations on schools that I really should be applying to but have omitted? Are any of the above going to not consider my app based on scores or residency?

I think you have a good shot at all of the schools (including TMDSAS schools, assuming you are a TX resident) except Baylor. But still, apply, cuz they do have a quota for TX residents.

Your GPA is sorta on the lower end, bur your MCAT makes up for it at all the schools (again, except Baylor).

I think 14-15 schools is a good number for you, and you seem to be right around there.

I think your list is good. Maybe add Wake Forest, with the hope that your GPA is overshadowed by that MCAT score. But, there's nothing wrong with your current list, IMO.

Yeah, Baylor is a long shot. I'm only applying because I already work there (my research EC -- it may actually may be a detriment, who knows) and it's in-state.

Thanks!