AMCAS Strikes Again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesperatelySeekingMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was at Case for an interview this weekend, the interviewer asked me if my scores the second time that I took the MCAT improved solely because I took it untimed. I told him that I have never taken any test untimed. He then told me that AMCAS had indicated that I took the test under "non-standardized" conditions. And that I should definitely call all the other schools that I applied to and try to straighten this thing out. What is strange is that this is my 5th interview and no one has mentioned this to me before. I am on hold with AMCAS now and we will see if they will do anything. I don't hold out much hope.

I have been away from the board for a little while so I don't know if anyone has complained of this exact error, but I really want to find out. And I could use any advise that I could get.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there asteriks next to your scores when you print them out from the app?

No, that is why the whole thing is so strange. I called MCAT people and they said that they had me as taking them under standard conditions...and AMCAS of course says they will call me back with an answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very disgusted by the CWRU question (not you DesperatelySeekingMD). One of my best friends since we were 4 has had an LD that was diagnosed when she was little. Long story short, she took the exam at 1.5 time. However, going on US policy, it is against the law to ask why there is an "asterisk" next to one's name. While the most common reason is 1.5 or twice time, an asterisk appears when one takes the exam on Sunday for religious reasons, as well. When I told her what I just read, she felt distraught and that this condition would come back to haunt her once she finally got an interview. Sorry to rant, but this just seems wrong.

I too think that it is totally wrong to discriminate against anyone because of a learning disability. But, I wouldn't blame Case for the question. Maybe a phrased it poorly since I am so upset with AMCAS. I trully think that he was interested in finding out more about me and just wanted to explore any inconsistencies in my file. Like why there was not any other mention anywhere else, besides my MCAT. He was also truly interested in talking about any LD or anything else in my application. I was happy that he brought it to my attention so that I can sort this whole thing out. And please let it be know...that this is nothing against people who need to take the test untimed so that their score will fairly represent them. I just wnat my application to be a fair representation of what I personally have done in my life- the good, the bad and sometimes the ugly (ie first MCAT score).

I too was diagnosed with an LD when I was really young. I didn't take the extra time because I thought it would hurt me. I thought having an * next to my name would be kinda embarrassing at interviews. Now I'm really glad didn't take the extra time... if medical schools feel free to ask those questions.

csgirl- I am sorry that you felt like you couldn't take the extra time. And I am really sorry that I one the one to make you feel justified in your decision. Again to reitterate, I really think he was asking because he was interested in knowing all about my life and as much about me as possible. Also remember that if this mistake was sent to all of my schools (which it probably was)...then the majority (4) never even mentioned it. Good Luck.