AMCAS submission timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanamit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it is worth delaying submission of AMCAS from June 1 to June 20, if my GPA goes up from XXX to XXX.

Also, do med schools see your community college GPA added into your overall GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it is worth delaying submission of AMCAS from June 1 to June 20, if my GPA goes up from 3.827 to 3.855?
No.

Also, do med schools see your community college GPA added into your overall GPA?
They see your GPAs factored year by year as well as BCPM vs. non-BCPM vs. overall. Thus, if you only spent one year at a CC, they'll see that overall GPA. If you spent 2 years at a CC, they'll see it year by year. If you took a few scattered courses at a CC, they'll be averaged in with any other college courses you took that year.

Do you think it is worth delaying submission of AMCAS from June 1 to June 20, if my GPA goes up from 3.827 to 3.855?

No and Yes.

GPA: You have a fantastic GPA already.

CC grades: Yes, remember that you're to send in all transcripts from every college you've ever attended to AMCAS. On your AMCAS application, your courses and their associated grades will be separated by academic status (SO,FR,JR,SR), so if you attended 2 years of CC, each year will have an associated GPA that the med schools will see. Also, a cumulative GPA will be indicated for all 4/5 years of college.

Members don't see this ad :)

Im disagreeing with the other posters and saying yes, and yes.

Just get all your classes in there. Not so much for the minute increase in GPA, but just so they see the additional classes you took and how you did. Gives more evidence that you're a good student (especially if you're a junior and only have 5 semesters on your transcript right now)

Submitting June 20th will make NO difference in when you get secondaries and interviews. You will be right there with everyone else who submitted June 1st. I submitted around that time last year and it took less than 24 hours to go from "submitted" to "being verified" or whatever the terminology is. Then it would have come out and been done shortly thereafter if I hadn't been missing a transcript (long story -AMCAS lied to me). Even when I submitted early July it only took 5 working days to get verified and I still got early interviews, and an acceptance on 10/16.

Schools don't even get the applicants info until late June/early August, they won't send secondaries until July/August and they won't interview until September/October. Submitted June 20th will put you in the first pile and its nothing to worry about.

I second the above post.

However, I was getting secondaries at the beginning of July, not August. But, June 20th will still get you in the first batch.

Im disagreeing with the other posters and saying yes, and yes.

Just get all your classes in there. Not so much for the minute increase in GPA, but just so they see the additional classes you took and how you did. Gives more evidence that you're a good student (especially if you're a junior and only have 5 semesters on your transcript right now)

Submitting June 20th will make NO difference in when you get secondaries and interviews. You will be right there with everyone else who submitted June 1st. I submitted around that time last year and it took less than 24 hours to go from "submitted" to "being verified" or whatever the terminology is. Then it would have come out and been done shortly thereafter if I hadn't been missing a transcript (long story -AMCAS lied to me). Even when I submitted early July it only took 5 working days to get verified and I still got early interviews, and an acceptance on 10/16.

Schools don't even get the applicants info until late June/early August, they won't send secondaries until July/August and they won't interview until September/October. Submitted June 20th will put you in the first pile and its nothing to worry about.

I agree with Angel that submitting June 1st or June 20th makes no difference.

However, a 0.03 increase in GPA above a 3.8 is also no big deal.

As Angel said, you won't get secondaries until July anyway, so submiting early will give you about a month to relax, possibly take a vacation.

I don't know how many schools you're applying to, but if you're applying to 30+, filling out 20-30 secondaries is akin to a full-time job. So it's nice to have the additional time between primary and secondary applications.

Please be advised that AMCAS will be available for submission on June 5, 2007. For official deadlines, always consult the organization of concern.

I would submit on June 5th, then amend it after you get your grades. Send a new transcript once it comes out.

Thanks guys for your advice! This is very helpful.

Won't you have to wait all over again to be re-verified?
Yes.

Submitting twice is a really bad idea. It could take longer because of confusion on what was resubmitted. And I'm not even sure you can change grades once you're verified. Anyone know?

But why bother - just submit once.

Yes.

Submitting twice is a really bad idea. It could take longer because of confusion on what was resubmitted. And I'm not even sure you can change grades once you're verified. Anyone know?

But why bother - just submit once.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was told that once you've submitted and been verified the only thing you can do is add new schools to your list, i.e. you can't change your essays or grades. All updates must be done with individual schools.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was told that once you've submitted and been verified the only thing you can do is add new schools to your list, i.e. you can't change your essays or grades. All updates must be done with individual schools.

You are correct on this point. The ONLY thing you can do as far as AMCAS is concerned is change your contact information andadd additional schools to your application list. Any new transcripts (or anything else for that matter) need to be forwarded to the schools to which you're applying.

Yeah thats what I started thinking at the end of writing that paragraph - I think once you submit you're done. But I'm not positive - never tried it.

In either case there's no point there is ABSOLUTELY zero diff between submitting 6/1 and 6/22 so why make things difficult.

Does HS GPA (from community college classes taken during High school) count toward total Undergrad GPA?

Yes, mine did.

Hooray!

Alwaysaangel, are you a fellow Berkeley student? If so, when requesting your Cal transcripts, how did you include the AMCAS transcript request form? Because as far as I know, you can't do that on bearfacts.

Hooray!

Alwaysaangel, are you a fellow Berkeley student? If so, when requesting your Cal transcripts, how did you include the AMCAS transcript request form? Because as far as I know, you can't do that on bearfacts.

Go into the registrar's office - there's a form to fill out that has an "included supplemental form" option. It costs like 3 bucks extra but its way better than them losing your transcript.

Go into the registrar's office - there's a form to fill out that has an "included supplemental form" option. It costs like 3 bucks extra but its way better than them losing your transcript.

Here use this form:

http://sis251.berkeley.edu/tranreq/tranreq_form.html

You will check "special processing" because you want an additional attachment. Take that form and the AMCAS form to the admissions office with the payment. If you want spring grades you have to wait until about June 10th, they won't tkae it and hold it.