AMCAS Switching from MD to MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDMD243.0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started an independent research project last May with a professor to see if I liked research enough to go for an MD/PhD. Because I had just started, I sent in my AMCAS applying to schools MD only. I've enjoyed the work so far and my professor is encouraging me to go for the MD/PhD. So I have a some questions:

1) It seems that you can switch/add from MD to MD/PhD on AMCAS but didn't know if anyone else has done this or if this is something I need to contact the schools about individually?

2) Since most schools let you apply for MD/PhD after you have started med school should I just hold off for now and wait to see how my first year of med school goes?

3) Many schools have separate tracks for MD and MD/PhD admissions. If my MD application gets rejected in the next couple of weeks at school X, can I then send in an MD/PhD application? If so, do I need to say anything to school X about my MD application already being rejected?

Thanks!

JD

Members don't see this ad.

Started an independent research project last May with a professor to see if I liked research enough to go for an MD/PhD. Because I had just started, I sent in my AMCAS applying to schools MD only. I've enjoyed the work so far and my professor is encouraging me to go for the MD/PhD. So I have a some questions:

1) It seems that you can switch/add from MD to MD/PhD on AMCAS but didn't know if anyone else has done this or if this is something I need to contact the schools about individually?

2) Since most schools let you apply for MD/PhD after you have started med school should I just hold off for now and wait to see how my first year of med school goes?

3) Many schools have separate tracks for MD and MD/PhD admissions. If my MD application gets rejected in the next couple of weeks at school X, can I then send in an MD/PhD application? If so, do I need to say anything to school X about my MD application already being rejected?

Thanks!

JD

To be honest, you have an EXTREMELY small chance of gaining acceptance to an MD/PhD program with only a few months of research experience, even if you have otherwise exceptional accomplishments. I would recommend either applying to the MSTP once you have been admitted MD, or taking a year off (maybe two) and then applying MD/PhD.

If you are outright rejected by the MD program, the MD/PhD program will not admit you (at least, I have never heard of this happening). Often the MD committee will waffle about a candidate, but the MD/PhD committee will push the candidate over the edge. At other schools only the MD/PhD committee makes a decision on your application. But if you are outright rejected by the medical school, you cannot pursue an MD/PhD. You can't be a medical student if you aren't admitted to the medical school.

Also, check out the MD/PhD forum--it's very helpful.

Yeah that's the standard word I've heard from friends in med school. However, I've posed these questions to a couple of schools which have separate admissions tracks for MD and MD/PhD and gotten some different responses. Nothing concrete just sort of hemming and hawing without saying 'yes, you can do this', or 'no that cannot be done'.

Additionally, since most MD/PhD programs at state schools do not discriminate against out-of-state applicants I'm sort of thinking, why not give it a shot...unless there is some definite reason not to.

p.s. where is the MD/PhD forum?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that's the standard word I've heard from friends in med school. However, I've posed these questions to a couple of schools which have separate admissions tracks for MD and MD/PhD and gotten some different responses. Nothing concrete just sort of hemming and hawing without saying 'yes, you can do this', or 'no that cannot be done'.

Additionally, since most MD/PhD programs at state schools do not discriminate against out-of-state applicants I'm sort of thinking, why not give it a shot...unless there is some definite reason not to.

p.s. where is the MD/PhD forum?

There are definite reasons not to if you're sure that you won't get accepted. Many schools will tell you that they examine your applicants individually, but often it is the case that actually the MSTP committee is the first one to decide your fate, and sometimes the only one at some schools. Often if you are rejected MSTP, the MD committee does not accept you or makes it more difficult to get accepted. There are many exceptions, of course, of individuals receiving MD acceptance despite rejection from the MSTP.

If you really want to give it a shot, go for it. Just realize that it will be extremely difficult with the paucity of research on your record, even if the rest of your application is stellar.

Oh yeah, go to "Student Doctor Network Forums" and then scroll down to "Physician Scientist [MD, MD/PhD, MD/MS, DO/PhD, DDS/PhD]". This is the best forum for MD/PhD-specific questions.