AMCAS verification..I'm really confused about that process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XsmallX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I looked for this on this website, but I am real problems understanding what the AMCAS verification is for. All the help will be appreciated! :D

I am planning on taking my MCAT the summer after my sophomore year and so I should have my scores and MCAT grades ready to be sent for the "AMCAS Verification" (I'm putting it in quotes because I do not really know what it verifies). So is this verification where you send your grades and MCAT scores to AMCAS through their website so they can check it?

Or is this verification for your grades, MCAT and for your extracurricular activities? If it is the latter, does that mean that anything I do for my summer after my junior year will not count because AMCAS won't be able to verify it? (since I'll be applying to med school during that time). I was planning on doing a very nice thing for my summer after my junior year...but now I'm worried whether or not AMCAS will verify it or not..

I'm really confused actually, as you can see X__X

Thanks very much in advance!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

verification is for your grades only.

you enter your own grades on the website.

Bio 101 A
Bio 102 C
Chem 101 B
Chem 102 A

Then you send in a transcript to AMCAS, and they compare your transcript to the grades you entered. That is verification.

Your MCAT registration ID number is the same as your AAMC number - it is one big happy family.

And the prior poster is correct - the only thing verified is your input grades vs the transcript you have forwarded to AMCAS. AMCAS doesn't verify or certify anything else in your app, except of course your MCAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh really?! o_O so then who checks your ecs?! o_O

so it takes 6 weeks for them to verify that?

Thank you very much for that info! It really helped!

oh really?! o_O so then who checks your ecs?! o_O

so it takes 6 weeks for them to verify that?

Thank you very much for that info! It really helped!

It is up to med schools to check you out.

If you apply in early June, you can be verified in a day or two. The system really gets jammed up later in June...verification can then take weeks. There is a thread that will show this - search for it.

I submitted the day AMCAS opened, and was verified the next day or so...

Oh okay, I thought that I could send my transcript and everything by January of my junior year >_< but I guess that's really really ridiculous >_< (it won't even be in the right application cycle I don't think!)

So basically you want to send all of your grades from freshman, sophomore and junior years? I know that AMCAS usually opens in mid-may and I should have all my grades by May 20th or so...(just guesstimating here), so I guess I should send it then.

Oh okay, I thought that I could send my transcript and everything by January of my junior year >_< but I guess that's really really ridiculous >_< (it won't even be in the right application cycle I don't think!)

So basically you want to send all of your grades from freshman, sophomore and junior years? I know that AMCAS usually opens in mid-may and I should have all my grades by May 20th or so...(just guesstimating here), so I guess I should send it then.

Yep, January is wayyy early to send your transcript. Plus, your transcript should include your spring semester grades of junior year so that won't be until ~mid-May.

Yes, AMCAS opens in May so you can start filling stuff out like name, parent information, activities, grades you already know from previous semesters (freshmen, soph, and fall junior year), etc. You can submit your AMCAS in early June (I think it was something like June 6). I submitted a couple of days after it opened and it was verified within a week. Submit as soon as you can.

From what I have heard, aim to submit AMCAS at by the end of June. It usually takes about 2 weeks (mid-July) to get the application verified and still be ahead of the pack.

If on a quarter system and I plan on submitting in early June (I will not have my spring quarter grades by mid June), should I send in my transcript after winter quarter grades are posted ~ End of March?

Send in your transcript when you get Spring semester grades. You need to fill out your AMCAS and get a transcript request form from the app.

V4 - I have no idea what you should do, my school does semesters.

Submit your AMCAS as soon as you can (beginning of June). If you do it then, verification will take from 1-2 days and you will save yourself a week or two of worrying.

Can you send in your transcripts before submitting the application? Or is it normally done afterwards?

Can you send in your transcripts before submitting the application? Or is it normally done afterwards?

Yes, you can send your transcript (rather, request your school to send it) before submitting. Once I found out my final spring semester grades, I took care of it immediately.

It is actually advised to send in your transcipt a while before you submit. AMCAS starts receiving transcripts in early May, so send it then.

You can send your spring grades later on afterward (late June, right?), you'll already be verified by then probably.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys..just curious...what about the MCAT? for example..I will be taking the MCAT by May 22nd, and theoretically..I won't have my grade until Mid-June. Can I still submit my application on early June even though I don't have my MCAT score yet? WIll all schools get my application? What do you guys recommend..
Thanks...

Hey guys..just curious...what about the MCAT? for example..I will be taking the MCAT by May 22nd, and theoretically..I won't have my grade until Mid-June. Can I still submit my application on early June even though I don't have my MCAT score yet? WIll all schools get my application? What do you guys recommend..
Thanks...

Im in the same boat..... i'll be glad to know if we can submit before mcat is back

Thanks...

Yes, you can submit your AMCAS application in Early June and they'll verify your grades (assuming they've received your transcripts). After you submit your AMCAS, you can't change anything on your application except for which schools you're applying to (so you need to have your personal statement and activities all entered in).

If you're waiting for your MCAT score from the May test, I think the recommended thing to do is submit your AMCAS application as early as possible (without sacrificing the quality of your personal statement, though) and select one school that you know that you will definitely be applying to (usually a state school). Then, when you get your MCAT score back, you can select all the schools you want to apply to and then these schools will get your primary app.

If you wait until your MCAT scores get back to turn in your AMCAS application, you have more time to work on your personal statement, but it will likely take AMCAS longer to verify your grades (it takes a few hours to a few days in Early June, and it can take nearly a month if you submit in Early July).

Hopefully this all made sense, but let me know if something didn't!

I feel I should point out something to the OP that might've been missed. Everyone is correct in saying that verification is the week to month long process during which AMCAS checks your inputted grades to your transcript.

HOWEVER, verification occurs only after you submit your primary application which includes everything such as your personal statement. LOR's, and your EC's. It is not merely submitting your grades and MCAT score. You have to have everything ready to turn in as one thing. Therefore, it cannot be done earlier than June and you should work on it on advance.

Great answers! thanks so much that really cleared up the ambiguity.

You need to submit your LOR to amcas too? whaat?

You need to submit your LOR to amcas too? whaat?

umm, yes, for all but about a half dozen schools, you have to use the AMCAS letter forwarding service...

Hi, I realize this thread is a bit old but I was hoping someone could clarify the comment made by bravofleet.

verification occurs only after you submit your primary application which includes everything such as your personal statement. LOR's, and your EC's. It is not merely submitting your grades and MCAT score. You have to have everything ready to turn in as one thing. Therefore, it cannot be done earlier than June and you should work on it on advance.

Does he mean to say that my application can't be verified unless AMCAS has also received my LOR's?

According to the amcas website:
12. Do I have to enter my letter information before I submit my AMCAS application?
No, you can submit letter information at any time within your AMCAS application. Please note that you need to comply with the deadline that the medical school sets for letters.

14. When should my letters be assigned to the medical schools?
You may assign your letters either before or after the application is submitted. Assigning letters is not required at the time you submit your application; however, you have the option to do so if you choose. Please refer to http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm for individual medical school letters requirements."

Does the above mean that I need to send in LOR's to be verified, but I can choose which letters I send to which schools afterwards? Does this contradict or support bravo's comments?

Any advice on exactly what I need to be verified would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I realize this thread is a bit old but I was hoping someone could clarify the comment made by bravofleet.

Does he mean to say that my application can't be verified unless AMCAS has also received my LOR's?

According to the amcas website:
12. Do I have to enter my letter information before I submit my AMCAS application?
No, you can submit letter information at any time within your AMCAS application. Please note that you need to comply with the deadline that the medical school sets for letters.

14. When should my letters be assigned to the medical schools?
You may assign your letters either before or after the application is submitted. Assigning letters is not required at the time you submit your application; however, you have the option to do so if you choose. Please refer to http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcasletters.htm for individual medical school letters requirements."

Does the above mean that I need to send in LOR's to be verified, but I can choose which letters I send to which schools afterwards? Does this contradict or support bravo's comments?

Any advice on exactly what I need to be verified would be greatly appreciated.

You do not need to submit letters to get verified.

Verification is for grades / transcripts. You also have to submit the completed AMCAS, including all sections, the PS, ECs, etc., to be verified.

You can choose which letters to send to which schools as your cycle unfolds - many schools tell you to not send letters until they are requested. I designated letters to schools as I completed secondaries - many secondaries require you to indicate exactly which letters you will be sending, so it is not very smart to submit letters until you understand exactly what they want and when they want it.

thank you flip, that cleared it up perfectly.

Hey guys I want to submit my AMCAS app on June 1 or a few days after. However I won't be getting my rec letters submitted until probably end of June/Early July. I've been reading that if you submit June 1 your whole application could get verified by the next day or two? Now I've been hearing that secondaries are due within 1 month after you get your secondary. So could I be screwed if I submit early b/c I won't have my rec letters done until end of June/Early July. For example. Submit June 1, Verified June 5. Get secondaries that are due by July 6th? how does this work out? Thanks everyone.

Hey guys I want to submit my AMCAS app on June 1 or a few days after. However I won't be getting my rec letters submitted until probably end of June/Early July. I've been reading that if you submit June 1 your whole application could get verified by the next day or two? Now I've been hearing that secondaries are due within 1 month after you get your secondary. So could I be screwed if I submit early b/c I won't have my rec letters done until end of June/Early July. For example. Submit June 1, Verified June 5. Get secondaries that are due by July 6th? how does this work out? Thanks everyone.

Secondaries don't start coming out until July - there may be one or two exceptions - I may have gotten a few before July 1 - but the first wave of secondaries will hit in the first week or so of July, and some won't come until August.

So you have no worries...

thank you flip, that cleared it up perfectly.

Glad to help. It is a stressful process that could be explained better by all parties, especially AMCAS.

Would it be okay to send in my transcript before the spring semester's grades shows up? (which is going to be around mid to end of June). I am planning to submit my application in early to mid June and I wonder if I should wait for my grades or just send in the transcripts. I have talked to a couple students who are in the current cycle and they sent in their transcripts without their spring grades. They did get into schools w/o problems but I just wonder if by doing this it will hurt my application or something. On the side note, I currently have a 3.88 (as a junior) and even if I get 4.0 this semester my GPA will only be up 0.01.... thanks!

Secondaries don't start coming out until July - there may be one or two exceptions - I may have gotten a few before July 1 - but the first wave of secondaries will hit in the first week or so of July, and some won't come until August.

So you have no worries...

Thanks Flip. Sorry by any chance do you remember those 1 or 2 secondaries that did come out early? So normally even if you apply/get verified early, secondaries don't come eout till July? Also is it true your app can get verified in a day or two?
Thanks again.

Just to clarify
Should I wait to submit LORS (either to AMCAS or the school) until I get a request from the schools specifically or from those that want secondaries from me? I don't see the point in submitting LORS before if its just numbers game to begin with and i'll be rejected from a school from the get go. Thanks!

Thanks Flip. Sorry by any chance do you remember those 1 or 2 secondaries that did come out early? So normally even if you apply/get verified early, secondaries don't come eout till July? Also is it true your app can get verified in a day or two?
Thanks again.

Not really sure which ones, if any, came in June. I didn't start filling them out until around July 10, by which time I had gotten 10 or so secondaries.

I always thought they came out in June as soon as you got verified, but learned differently last year. Honestly, I was glad to have the break between the big rush to get AMCAS done and the first secondary release - I was burned out - and I was grateful that I didn't have to start secondaries until mid July.

Another factor: it is my understanding that even though you might get verified in early June, AMCAS doesn't send out the first batch of verified apps to schools until around June 20. Never did nail this down, but I think it is true.

Just to clarify
Should I wait to submit LORS (either to AMCAS or the school) until I get a request from the schools specifically or from those that want secondaries from me? I don't see the point in submitting LORS before if its just numbers game to begin with and i'll be rejected from a school from the get go. Thanks!

Many schools will tell you when and which letters they want, so I say just wait and submit them from AMCAS on a school by school basis as you complete the secondary.

However, you should get the LORs to AMCAS as soon as possible, sometime in June if possible - there can be time delays, delivery problems, etc., and you don't want to have the situation where your letters are missing when you need them sent out.

You do not need to submit letters to get verified.

Verification is for grades / transcripts. You also have to submit the completed AMCAS, including all sections, the PS, ECs, etc., to be verified.

You can choose which letters to send to which schools as your cycle unfolds - many schools tell you to not send letters until they are requested. I designated letters to schools as I completed secondaries - many secondaries require you to indicate exactly which letters you will be sending, so it is not very smart to submit letters until you understand exactly what they want and when they want it.

Thank you, Flip! I've been wondering the same question, and I'm glad it's finally answered. I was worried I wouldn't be able to submit early without my LORs.

AMCAS doesn't send out verified primaries until June 20th or so. Only a handful (mostly those that are already available online) are sent out in June. Also, technically, for most schools you don't have to submit your secondary until the deadline (though don't do that). The notable exception is MCW, which puts how fast you turn in your secondary into your decision for interview.

Would it be okay to send in my transcript before the spring semester's grades shows up? (which is going to be around mid to end of June). I am planning to submit my application in early to mid June and I wonder if I should wait for my grades or just send in the transcripts. I have talked to a couple students who are in the current cycle and they sent in their transcripts without their spring grades. They did get into schools w/o problems but I just wonder if by doing this it will hurt my application or something. On the side note, I currently have a 3.88 (as a junior) and even if I get 4.0 this semester my GPA will only be up 0.01.... thanks!

If you have completed your pre-reqs and your grades from spring semester won't affect your GPA that much, then it's probably better to submit early and update schools down the line.

AMCAS doesn't send out verified primaries until June 20th or so. Only a handful (mostly those that are already available online) are sent out in June. Also, technically, for most schools you don't have to submit your secondary until the deadline (though don't do that). The notable exception is MCW, which puts how fast you turn in your secondary into your decision for interview.

What's the deadline for a secondary usually? And sorry what's MCW?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I have a ton of questions. Could we go back to the MCAT at AMCAS submission discussion?

I just took my MCAT on May 27 and the score will come out late June. I know I did poorly. I wasn't prepared for it and was scoring in the 27-29 range on practice tests. But I know I can improve my score a lot in the next month with nothing to do with myself but study. I just haven't had the time to study. So, I plan on retaking on July 8.

Ok, so I have lots of questions about how good my MCAT plan is, but relative to this thread my question is, can I submit my AMCAS without my MCAT score? My PS, ECs, and everything were written back in April so I can be ready to submit in the next week. But I think I have to wait until my MCAT score comes in late June. Is that true? Or can I have them verify my grades while we wait for my MCAT score to come back? So I would have everything in late June and hit submit then. But I'm definitely going to say that I'm taking them again. Can my AMCAS be verified before I do my second one? Will my verification be in late August when my second score comes in or in late June when my first score comes in?

Thanks so much.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I have a ton of questions. Could we go back to the MCAT at AMCAS submission discussion?

I just took my MCAT on May 27 and the score will come out late June. I know I did poorly. I wasn't prepared for it and was scoring in the 27-29 range on practice tests. But I know I can improve my score a lot in the next month with nothing to do with myself but study. I just haven't had the time to study. So, I plan on retaking on July 8.

Ok, so I have lots of questions about how good my MCAT plan is, but relative to this thread my question is, can I submit my AMCAS without my MCAT score? My PS, ECs, and everything were written back in April so I can be ready to submit in the next week. But I think I have to wait until my MCAT score comes in late June. Is that true? Or can I have them verify my grades while we wait for my MCAT score to come back? So I would have everything in late June and hit submit then. But I'm definitely going to say that I'm taking them again. Can my AMCAS be verified before I do my second one? Will my verification be in late August when my second score comes in or in late June when my first score comes in?

Thanks so much.

You can submit without your MCAT score. You will get verified and everything and schools will just wait on your MCAT score to send secondaries (or make you complete if they have automatic secondaries).