AMCAS Verification & MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttt92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been researching this through threads/the AAMC website, but wanted an answer targeted to my situation. So I took the MCAT last week (May 22nd) and should get the scores by June 24th. My question is: Should I submit the primary application early (first day it opens)? I already have the application all done. Or should I wait until I receive my MCAT score? I think it went fine (no big mishaps), but I wasn't scoring extremely high on the practice exams to feel safe enough in case I do score on the low end. My advisor said I have these two options to choose between. And would I be considered a reapplicant? I am just trying to figure out the best strategy to get things going with the right timing, etc. My advisor said applying 3 weeks later won't be too much of a difference, but if my MCAT is on the lower end, I do want that buffer of applying early.

Also, my committee letter at my school is known for getting to med schools super late -- so I've heard from people that applying early is only advantageous in the sense that I get verified earlier as my LORs won't get to medical schools until August/September. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Schools will evaluate your application when they receive your verified primary application and your MCAT score. Therefore, if you want to submit as early as possible, you want to make sure you are verified by the date that you receive your MCAT score. I think it takes about a month to get your score, so you'll probably want to submit your primary during the first week to be complete the fastest possible. Secondaries don't start coming until July anyway though I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
In a bad scenario, if I get a bad MCAT score when it's released on June 24th and withdraw my application, will I be considered a reapplicant? That's the only thing I'm nervous about. I felt good about the MCAT, but I can't be sure (plus I was scoring in the low 30s on the practices).

In a bad scenario, if I get a bad MCAT score when it's released on June 24th and withdraw my application, will I be considered a reapplicant? That's the only thing I'm nervous about. I felt good about the MCAT, but I can't be sure (plus I was scoring in the low 30s on the practices).
"Am I a reapplicant if I withdrew my previous AMCAS application?
No. You are not considered a reapplicant if you formally withdrew your application through AMCAS.

Your application may only be withdrawn prior to the verification process when your application is in one of the following statues: "Submitted to AMCAS - Ready for Review," "Submitted to AMCAS - Waiting for Transcripts," or "Returned". See the application withdrawal FAQ for more information."

However, it's hard to know how long the verification process will take.

Submit AMCAS with ONE school so that you can enter the verification queue. Then when you get your score, add on the rest of your schools to AMCAS.

Just want to clarify the reapplicant thing. If you withdraw pre-verification, you will not be considered a reapplicant. If you withdraw after verification, you will only be considered a reapplicant at the school(s) you listed on AMCAS. This is why it is advantageous to only list one school when you initially submit AMCAS, so in the hypothetical event you don't do well on the MCAT and your AMCAS has already been verified, if you withdraw, you will only be a reapplicant at one school.