1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

AMCAS Verification

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by persistant, Aug 3, 2006.

1. persistant

persistant New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone!!! I like to find out if something is wrong with my app....i submitted/paid/transcripts received on 7/12. But my application is not verified yet. Is anybody out there in the same boatttt????? It would really releive me if that is the case. Thanxxxxxx!!!!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dwigt

dwigt Assistant^RegionalManager
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  4. persistant

persistant New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  5. AnthonyNY

AnthonyNY "Ant, you're 'that guy'."
    2+ Year Member

i wouldnt think so...considering that people have not yet even taken the august mcat. they wont be getting their results from that test for months, then finally they can submit their amcas...which still then must be verified. we're early.

no worries man.

6. SalseraDoctora

SalseraDoctora Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I totally hate AMCAS. It took them 2.5 weeks to mark my last transcript as received (18 days actually), and now I am sitting waiting to be reviewed. I think they have 2 employees total working part time and they both hate me.

7. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    not as much as they hate me

8. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How's this, I submitted my AMCAS way back in June, they verified it, and then claimed that I was missing a transcript, (for a equivelency exam I took in High School), I had to contact the university and obtain a letter stating that I never attended that University and that it was just an exam I took (IN HIGH SCHOOL) for credit. So I go down to this University and I get them to produce this official letter stating that I never enrolled (4 weeks ago), and it was just recieved yesterday by AMCAS, now I'm back in line for review. Sucks to be me, Hopefully I'll be verified by September. Hence, AMCAS sucks, you have to be on their backs about everything, they lose things, and there is only one nice fuker in the entire place. I forgot his name, but he cracks jokes, and seems like hes sick of all the "analness" that prevades that AMCAS office in DC.

Ive been under review now 3 times, verified once, unverified, had a University added to my AMCAS app that I never attended and am now "waiting in line to be reviewed" thats a summary of this ****ty process so far. Hope this makes you all feel better.

9. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    They received my transcript on 7/28. I sent a letter for requent to my school by mail on the 7/18, school sent it out 7/25. E-mail from AAMC yesterday saying they got it 7/28. Not sure if they'll review over it now or when I submit my application. Hopefully I don't have to sent in a transcript from the community college courses I took in high school because it's already on my college transcript.

10. dwigt

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Doesn't matter, you still have to submit ALL of your transcripts.

11. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Even for AP credit? That's taking it a bit too far imo. When I put down the CC under schools with courses taken, I marked down transcript not required. Something about it already appearing on my current schools transcript. We'll see what AAMC will say to me since the status box still has "not required" for the CC and "received" for my university. Will they start to review my transcript now or just when I submit everything?

12. Requip

Requip Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This sounds horrible. So did they unlock your application so you can change things? Or how do they allow you to fix it? Do you get put at the end of the line or just in an aside pile?

13. Go Time

Go Time Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was verified yesterday after almost a month of sitting at "ready for review". Maybe there is an unlucky slow stack!

14. GWmdwannabe

GWmdwannabe Member
    5+ Year Member

I believe that the status box is based on the information that you provided, not necessarily that AMCAS will agree that the transcript isn't required.

15. dwigt

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here, but make sure you realize that AP credit /= community college credit, even if it's taken during high school.

Directly from AMCAS:

"Many high school students take other types of college-level courses either independently or through special programs offered by their high school. Courses may be physically taken at the high school or at a college, depending on the program, but should be listed on the application under the name of the college.

You must contact the college involved to determine transcript availability prior to submitting the application. If a transcript from the college is available, it must be forwarded to AMCAS and courses must be listed on the Academic Record. If letter grades and credit hours are listed on the college transcript, these courses will be included in AMCAS GPA calculations even if they have not been transferred to the primary undergraduate school or used towards a degree. These courses do not require any special Course Type, unless otherwise appropriate. The Academic Status for such courses is High School."

16. TIGIBedHead

TIGIBedHead Fever to Tell
    5+ Year Member

That's a crappy situation, but I really admire your ability to find humor in it. Your optimism will get you further than an early verification. If there's anything I learned so far in this process, it's that worrying and freaking out needlessly doesn't help the situation. Of course, we all still worry. But then we take a deep breath, regroup, and think about what we can do with the situation we're given. That's all we can do. And as long as you accept that much and take it all in stride, you're gonna be a great doctor someday, whether you're verified now or in September. I'll cross my fingers for you that it's closer to now, but I know that you'll be just fine even if it happens later. :luck:

17. TIGIBedHead

5+ Year Member

Unfortunately for all of us with transcripts that weren't available earlier in the process, we go in line to be verified based on when we get that e-mail from AMCAS saying they got the transcript. Hopefully you can find most of the secondary prompts you need on SDN, so you'll be ready to send everything out ASAP once you're verified.

18. TIGIBedHead

5+ Year Member

Just saw this. At this point, verification happens about 3 weeks after you submit your application. There's a thread called "April MCATers Submit AMCAS Already?" that lists when people submitted and when they were verified.

19. NCF145

NCF145 Not Politically Correct
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I submitted on 7/3 and was verified today. I also received no notice that my application was "under review".

20. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Same thing happened to me. I took courses in High school and got credit for them (bull **** equivalency exam) and they want a trasncript from the univeristy. After explaining my situation to the anal AMCAS person, they said I needed and official letter from the univeristy stating that I never attended, then it takes them 3-4 weeks to recieve it and process it, and then ur ass is back in line. has anyone ever wondered why you cant talk to a manager, or a supervisor at AMCAS, its always some dumb ass giving you wrong info, and you call the next day and they make something else up? WTF

21. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow - very similar to the BS they are pulling on me this year.
    I hate AMCAS in every way possible at this point. They are holding up my verification for a letter from a school that says, "We don't make transcripts for auditors" - yes, auditors. A class that has ZERO bearing on my GPA or credit hours. A letter that has already been sent to them now 4 times. For a class that means zip.

If they don't verify my application soon I'm going to seek legal action b/c their delays are possibly costing me thousands of dollars in application fees and possibly another year of my life!

22. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

23. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

I am now beginning to see why so many people say AMCAS sucks. I sent out an e-mail to them to see if they could tell me if I need another transcript or not without having to be verified (I'm not submitting the application til Sept).

Luckily the AMCAS application didn't ask for AP high school transcripts...unless I'm mistaken. This crap is going to suck if I have to get a transcript from the dual enrollment community college. I got a name change between the coursework completed and now so I'll have to verify my identity with them for this **** to work. I'm already getting pissed.

24. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

25. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

26. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Actually I have talked to 4 people I think. I'm nearly positive I've heard 4 different voices. There's one girl that is so quiet you can't tell you've been taken off hold. There's one guy that was pretty nice - he said his name is Dave, Sanchez, I think.. But he still didn't help me, he was just nicer and more intelligent that the other three.

27. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yea dave is the nice guy, and I keep on getting the same girl in the mornings, or maybe its two different girls but they equally suck. I love women, and I respect them, its just that these two ladies cant tell their ass from the heads.

28. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    !!! Agreed. 2 months is ridiculous for you to be tortured, though. I sent my transcripts and the first of those transcript exception letters in June, too. But they only told me this week that they didn't have that letter. Even though I emailed them a month ago about it. So the girl on the phone said to me, "Well, you're going to have to have them send it again." and I just said, "Why? So you guys can lose it again?!" and she didn't say anything...
    I try to be nice on the phone to people, but I have really lost it with these guys at this point!!

I'm really nervous now, too, because I overnighted the latest letter to their PO Box, and made it so they had to sign for it. Why do I get the feeling no one is going to sign for it??!! :(

29. applyingsucks

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

send it again to this address:

AMCAS Attn Transcripts
    2450 N St., NW
    Washington, DC 20037

The PO Box is a mailroom in the building, it takes 3-5 days to sort shhit from the mailroom, I quote the stupid AMCAS lady "Do you know how many transcripts we recieve a day?.... over a thousand" I wanted to say fuk off, so go down there and pick through everyone and see if mine is there.

The above address bypasses the mailroom and goes right to the transcript verification office, at least thats what Dave sanchez said, if thats the right guy.

I've sent the same letter 3 times, he advised to to send it as many times until they got it, I was thinking of sleepign at the post office and sending two off a day, then maybe even with the rate they lost **** at they would get a few.

I'm not a pessimistic guy, its just that Hold music has fuked with my head.

30. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's a good idea. But I don't think I can get the school to keep creating a bunch of new letters for me. They are already ready to kill me. It isn't a standard thing for them and my letter is kind of a 'one of a kind' for the Registrar. You know what it is like trying to get a resistrar's office to think outside of the box?? Let alone keep pestering them for the same thing again & again?!! LOL!! I've faxed the letter to Dave, and he says they won't accept a fax, it has to be sealed from the Registrar's office, and he didn't call me back when I left a VM last time either.

Wait - the PO Box is a mailroom in the building???!!!! Then why the bleep does it take 5 days to sort through??

If I had great stats, this would just be a pain, but wouldn't worry me. I need to be early if I have a prayer of getting in... I HATE AMCAS!!!!

31. totalcommand

totalcommand Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

don't worry. i got my transcripts in back in june, submitted on 7/3, and i'm still not verified. i called in, and nothing is wrong according to AMCAS.

32. XildUpNawth

XildUpNawth Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There's a woman named Naomi who could "use a bit more training," and a man named Tyler who's quite competent. These are the only two I've ever talked to. Naomi likes to play fast and loose with transcript requirements, but Tyler seems to have the ability to solidify things. Yay, Tyler.

33. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Whadda ya mean by play fast & loose w/transcript requirements?!

34. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

I know it's only been a day since I e-mailed them, but I think I'd be better off just going out of my way to get it mailed in. Hopefully having different names on my transcripts won't f anything up. I put down my old name on the section asking for it.

35. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yah - mail everything like, 4 times, and maybe show up in person, too. :laugh: Like me - with a gun...

36. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

I would show up in person. Unfortunately, I live in Orlando. I might move up to Columbia, MD if I get this job in DC. I would go there in anger.

37. XildUpNawth

XildUpNawth Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    PM me if you really want to know. ;)

38. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Alright, I just got off the phone with AMCAS (20 min wait). The guy didn't seem like he knew much. I asked him if I needed a transcript sent from my community college even though I took the classes in high school and they appear on my university transcript. At first he said yes, since it's not AP, and since I attended the college that I needed it sent. Then he asked for my ID#. He saw that I marked down "don't need transcript sent it" and then he said because it said that, I don't need it. HAH! I had to tell him that that's what I marked down because I wasn't sure. It took a few more minutes and then he said I should just send it in. I told him about my legal name change and he put a note on my application that the names will be different. Hopefully when I send the transcript in, everything will be fine.

39. kelvin81

kelvin81 Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The nicest guy at AMCAS is Corey. He was very nice and helpful every time I talked to him. AMCAS needs more people like him.

40. dsh

dsh
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I submitted 10 July and was verified 4 August (last Friday). If they work sequentially, your turn should be coming up soon.

41. whyadoctor

whyadoctor Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i submitted my app on july 13th, and got verified this morning....i've heard that it usually takes approximately 3 weeks if all your documents are complete.
    and btw, AMCAS does suck big time! you would think that for the amount of money we pay, we would get a decent and efficient service :(

42. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow I hate them!
    I submitted 7/7 and am still waiting.

43. TIGIBedHead

5+ Year Member

Orthodoc, were your transcripts in before you submitted?

44. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, they were in by the end of June.

45. totalcommand

totalcommand Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What I recommend is to keep asking them questions on the phone. Eventually, they'll hand it over to their manager, who might be able to answer them. If not, then ask directly for the manager. Ask the manager then for exactly what you want (it should be something reasonable...). If he says he can't do that, ask him who can. Just keep talking until (reasonably) until you get where you want...don't call multiple times. But call with several concrete goals in mind.

46. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Seems reasonable!
    All I can do is try, because they sure don't seem to be!
    And every day more & more people are getting verified that submitted well later than I did. Talk about frustrating.

47. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Alright, thought I'd post a little update. A day after my last post I went to my community college and put in a transcript request. At first, they said I had a hold...and get this...because I never gave them my HS transcript to see if I graduated from HS! HAHA!!! Funny thing is, I actually did back then and that's how I got them to transfer credits to UF. The lady spoke to her boss and he said it was okay for this one time to do it. I called them up today since nothing is posted on my AMCAS app and it turns out they mailed my transcript on Friday!

Does anyone know if I can submit my application now and not be booted to the back of the line when my transcript gets in? Should I wait til they get my transcript to submit? Thanks.

48. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, they booted me to the end of the line - and that wasn't even for a transcript. It was for a transcript exception letter. I tried to speak to them about it but they were like, "Well, if you were Joe, who submitted after you, would you think it was fair that you got to jump to the front of the line?" I was like, "Heck yah. If I was Joe who submitted 6 weeks AFTER me and you guys have been keeping me waiting for an AUDITED CLASS!! I shouldn't have even bothered to list it on there after all of this!"

49. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Went into line 7/27. Still in line. I wouldn't be surprised if tehy're about to verify me and their whole system goes offline and they only let the people who were already verified continue through the cycle.

50. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sounds about right... 7/28 here

51. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sux man, cuz you're right behind me and with my luck the system will crash right before verifying me. Guess we will be applying together next year!