amcas verified, august mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeatherPen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already submitted my amcas, but I take the medcat late August. My advisor asserts that taking the test no later than August is OK.

The SDN community seems to claim that having your app complete after July = auto-rejection.

Adcoms are PhDs and MDs conducting research all summer. It is not like undergrad where people are designated to review applications all day. Offers of acceptance (RD) are not given until October 15, I think. If this is true, being complete by the end of September will allow for a solid window of time for consideration. No?

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine. I had everything verified and in order when I took an August MCAT and was accepted at a very good school. My line of thinking is that taking an August MCAT and doing well verses taking a late June MCAT and doing just average is certainly the better way to go.

You'll be fine. Keep in mind that SDN represents the top quartile or so of applicants. This is a select sample of applicants that do everything they can to get in, including reading SDN religiously. ;)

Also, even after verification, you'll have secondaries to do. Personally, it took me as much as 2 days per secondary to get them to a point where I was comfortable, and if you're also taking classes this Fall, you can't do secondaries back to back.

THEN, after secondaries, you'll have to wait between a few weeks to a few months to begin to start hearing about interviews. Since SOME school fill their interview slots by Dec (notably VCU), you may be in danger of not being able to schedule an interview.

On average, having your secondaries in and being complete at each school by late Sept should be fine. ("fine" being "average" for the national application pool, meaning that you will now need above average stats, EC, etc. to be competitive).

GL:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took an August MCAT back when it took two months to get the results back, thus I applied very late. My interviews were January through June. I still got accepted. Applying late is not a death knell to your hopes, but your statistical likelihood of getting an interview will be smaller for the reason given above. If you have a good application, you still have a chance. Worse case scenario: you apply a second time. Just be sure you continue to make improvements in your application for the next year, lest this happens to you.

I have a question. I took the MCAT in June and I wont know the score until july 21. I am studying again now and thinking I might want to take it again in August. But if I do well on the one I took in JUne, I wont take it again. The problem is that I am not sure i will take it again or not. BUt I want to submit the AMCAS application now and I need to tell them the date that i am taking. What if I dont mention that ill be taking in august and then take the test and august and submit the score. or what if I mention that i am taking it in august and then not taking it b/c my score from June was good.

Basically, my question is whether I should mention I would take MCAT in august or not since I am not sure I will be taking it.

Can someone give me opinion, pls??

Can someone give me opinion, pls??

have you already registered for this second MCAT? if so, i think you're ethically bound to put it on your AMCAS.

if you haven't yet registered, you can submit without this future MCAT notation. med schools will start filtering (the ones that do) with your first mcat if you don't disclose a second (if you do disclose, they will first wait for your second score).

AMCAS-participating med schools (eg. all schools but Texas ones) will automatically get your second score (if you take the second exam) either way. there's no way of hiding it and/or inadvertently loosing the score. For the texas schools, you'll have to re-submit your new score once it comes out.

You are fine, I personally know a friend of mine who did not send his application in until VERY VERY late (i mean like pushing it late) and he still managed to get 4 interviews and got into 2 schools.

As long as you're aware and not forgetful like my friend, you are well in the safe zone IMHO

Hi, I didn't register yet for August. Even if I register and then decided not to take it, then I should contact AMCAS right? otherwise, they would wait for the score.

have you already registered for this second MCAT? if so, i think you're ethically bound to put it on your AMCAS.

if you haven't yet registered, you can submit without this future MCAT notation. med schools will start filtering (the ones that do) with your first mcat if you don't disclose a second (if you do disclose, they will first wait for your second score).

AMCAS-participating med schools (eg. all schools but Texas ones) will automatically get your second score (if you take the second exam) either way. there's no way of hiding it and/or inadvertently loosing the score. For the texas schools, you'll have to re-submit your new score once it comes out.

Also the other way around. If I didn't mention on AMCAS, then decided to take it in August, can I contact AMCAS and tell them to wait for AUGUST AMCAS score? Is that ok??

Hi, I didn't register yet for August. Even if I register and then decided not to take it, then I should contact AMCAS right? otherwise, they would wait for the score.

I don't think you're required to disclose your retake schedule on the AMCAS (they'll get the score either way). This AMCAS section is intended more for the applicants that want the schools to hold off on screening your primary.

If you're uncertain that you'll be retaking, then you may not want to disclose your retake registration on your AMCAS so you can get your primaries in faster through the initial screening.

Also the other way around. If I didn't mention on AMCAS, then decided to take it in August, can I contact AMCAS and tell them to wait for AUGUST AMCAS score? Is that ok??
I think you can go back and change your expected future scores in AMCAS after submitting. So, yes, i think you could do this, but I have no direct experience with changing anything other than contact info after submission. Someone else may want to chime in.