1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AMCAS Verified

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mtthwscott1, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mtthwscott1

mtthwscott1 mtthwscott1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sent AMCAS my stuff four weeks ago... still no verification. Anyone in the same boat? Why so long, Eh?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TheCybermen

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Submitted 20 days ago.
    I'm afraid that I've little patience for this sort of thing ("up to 6 weeks"), if not little patience toward bureaucracy in general. In James Q. Wilson's timeless "textbook" of the same name (BUREAUCRACY), the author points out that the "appearance of success" in any bureaucratic system is infinitely more important and given far greater weight in decision-making than actualy "achievement of success."

AMCAS, with all due respect, is no deviant from this archetype.

4. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dont think its so much bureaucracy as it is being understaffed with an overabundance of med school apps and transcripts. Theyre the stereotypical DMV of med school

5. TheCybermen

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    And just like the DMV, no one seeks to rectify an absurd situation because time and time again, the system "works." Yes, it takes forever, yes, the office is understaffed and overworked, but since the figures evaluated are those that come in "at the end of the day" rather than other metric variables(waiting time, frustration, errors in processing, delays, etc.)...well, you get the idea.

6. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Go add yourselves to the list in "April MCAT'ers submit AMCAS yet?"

There is a huge list of people..when they submitted, were verified, who is still waiting.
    Remember that your submission date is not as important as the date when AMCAS acknowledged that they had all of your transcripts. :luck:

7. TheCybermen

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Done

Like many ppl, my transcripts were received in May...

To be sure:

I am not suggesting that the work of the data managers at AMCAS is insufficient, nor am I saying that anyone, low or high on the rungs, is being negligent. This isn't a problem with individuals as much as it is with a particular system in place. And while R. Buckminster Fuller himself suggested that one should keep his mouth shut if he can't offer an alternative, I feel there's a healthy need to vent at times.

Best.

8. mychelle774

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Why is that?

9. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you go look in our thread "April MCAT'ers submit AMCAS?"
    You'll see that people who called to ask were told that.
    You can't be verified until your transcripts are in. You don't get in line by submission exactly. It has to do with how many transcripts you have and if they have them all when you submit.