mtthwscott1

mtthwscott1
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
50
0
Status
Medical Student
Sent AMCAS my stuff four weeks ago... still no verification. Anyone in the same boat? Why so long, Eh?
 

TheCybermen

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
107
0
Status
Medical Student
mtthwscott1 said:
Sent AMCAS my stuff four weeks ago... still no verification. Anyone in the same boat? Why so long, Eh?
Submitted 20 days ago.
I'm afraid that I've little patience for this sort of thing ("up to 6 weeks"), if not little patience toward bureaucracy in general. In James Q. Wilson's timeless "textbook" of the same name (BUREAUCRACY), the author points out that the "appearance of success" in any bureaucratic system is infinitely more important and given far greater weight in decision-making than actualy "achievement of success."

AMCAS, with all due respect, is no deviant from this archetype.
 

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
11,826
57
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
TheCybermen said:
Submitted 20 days ago.
I'm afraid that I've little patience for this sort of thing ("up to 6 weeks"), if not little patience toward bureaucracy in general. In James Q. Wilson's timeless "textbook" of the same name (BUREAUCRACY), the author points out that the "appearance of success" in any bureaucratic system is infinitely more important and given far greater weight in decision-making than actualy "achievement of success."

AMCAS, with all due respect, is no deviant from this archetype.
I dont think its so much bureaucracy as it is being understaffed with an overabundance of med school apps and transcripts. Theyre the stereotypical DMV of med school
 
About the Ads

TheCybermen

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
107
0
Status
Medical Student
braluk said:
I dont think its so much bureaucracy as it is being understaffed with an overabundance of med school apps and transcripts. Theyre the stereotypical DMV of med school
And just like the DMV, no one seeks to rectify an absurd situation because time and time again, the system "works." Yes, it takes forever, yes, the office is understaffed and overworked, but since the figures evaluated are those that come in "at the end of the day" rather than other metric variables(waiting time, frustration, errors in processing, delays, etc.)...well, you get the idea.
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Go add yourselves to the list in "April MCAT'ers submit AMCAS yet?"

There is a huge list of people..when they submitted, were verified, who is still waiting.
Remember that your submission date is not as important as the date when AMCAS acknowledged that they had all of your transcripts. :luck:
 

TheCybermen

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
107
0
Status
Medical Student
jackieMD2007 said:
Go add yourselves to the list in "April MCAT'ers submit AMCAS yet?"

There is a huge list of people..when they submitted, were verified, who is still waiting.
Remember that your submission date is not as important as the date when AMCAS acknowledged that they had all of your transcripts. :luck:
Done

Like many ppl, my transcripts were received in May...

To be sure:

I am not suggesting that the work of the data managers at AMCAS is insufficient, nor am I saying that anyone, low or high on the rungs, is being negligent. This isn't a problem with individuals as much as it is with a particular system in place. And while R. Buckminster Fuller himself suggested that one should keep his mouth shut if he can't offer an alternative, I feel there's a healthy need to vent at times.

Best.
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you go look in our thread "April MCAT'ers submit AMCAS?"
You'll see that people who called to ask were told that.
You can't be verified until your transcripts are in. You don't get in line by submission exactly. It has to do with how many transcripts you have and if they have them all when you submit.
 
About the Ads