AMCAS vs. TRANSCRIPT GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My AMCAS and transcipt GPAs differ significantly (0.25 GPa points). It is all because I had to retake two classes after my freshman year :(. I got two "D's" and I got two "A's" the second time. AMCAS would count D's and A's together which makes it a lot worse. I was just wondering what would AdCom look at, AMCAS GPA or the one on my transcipt?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, since they won't see your transcript and only what AMCAS verifies is correct based on your transcript, my bet is that it'll be the AMCAS gpa they're looking at. However, you can always bring that up in an interview, and they'll surely see it later when you send the school your final transcripts.

Do the first two D's show up on your official transcript? If not, I would not even indicate on your AMCAS transcript that you even took the class the first time. If so, there are ways on the AMCAS to indicate that you took a class but did not receive a grade for it. This way it will calculate your correct GPA and if the ask why there was no grade, you can just explain it.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by KKay999:
• If so, there are ways on the AMCAS to indicate that you took a class but did not receive a grade for it. •••••Unfortunately, that would be lying since Spiderman did receive a grade for it. If you are caught trying to sneak one over on AMCAS, your application will most certainly be unilaterally withdrawn.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mpp:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by KKay999:
• If so, there are ways on the AMCAS to indicate that you took a class but did not receive a grade for it. •••••Unfortunately, that would be lying since Spiderman did receive a grade for it. If you are caught trying to sneak one over on AMCAS, your application will most certainly be unilaterally withdrawn.•••••I didn't mean to imply that he should sneak, but I thought that AMCAS did give you an option to indicate this particular situation. Besides, if he took the class a second time the A's actually replace the D's which is why it's not calculated into his GPA.

From several med school reps I've talked to, many schools look at trends. If you've had a general increase in grades, they take that into account. You could explain the discrepancy to the admissions board.

On the amcas applications you *have* to report every grade received for any class taken regardless if your school gives you the highest grade received.

The D's show up in my transcript that's why I have to put the grades in. If AMCAS finds out that I put something, they will do an investigation.

thats got to be the biggest bunch of bull**** this side of the universe. I friggin pay lots of money to retake 4 classes that i got D's in and now i have A's in and AMCAS gets to tell me i cant count them that way, when im friggin paying them money so that I can apply to medical schools where I want to pay even more money.

Wheres the guy thats F**king me from behind, so I can shake his hand and say " Job Well Done" :mad:

I have the same problem. I have a D and an F on my transcript (which I subsequently retook and made A's in both). Instead of a 3.70 gpa which is what is on my transcript, I have a 3.52. Talk about sucking.

I guess the only good thing is that everyone is going to be in the same boat (except those who never retook clasess). I would expect that avg. acceptance GPA will drop this year. But it still stinks. AntGod, what's your transcipt GPA now?
I guess the only thing we can do is to have previous grades deleted from college computer system. The only way out is to burn the registrar's office. Where are matches and kerosine?

Don't think I haven't already considered that course of action :)

•••quote:••• Do the first two D's show up on your official transcript? If not, I would not even indicate on your AMCAS transcript that you even took the class the first time.
••••First of all, AMCAS rules indicate that all grades, absolved or not, have to be reported.

•••quote:••• I friggin pay lots of money to retake 4 classes that i got D's in and now i have A's in and AMCAS gets to tell me i cant count them that way, when im friggin paying them money so that I can apply to medical schools where I want to pay even more money.

Wheres the guy thats F**king me from behind, so I can shake his hand and say " Job Well Done"
••••I'm not so sure it would be any fairer if the original grades were not counted in the AMCAS gpa. Not to be rude, but what about those who get an A in a class the first time around? And many things in this process are independent of how much money one is willing to spend; otherwise, school name would play a stronger role in the process, for example.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by AntGod22:
•thats got to be the biggest bunch of bull**** this side of the universe. I friggin pay lots of money to retake 4 classes that i got D's in and now i have A's in and AMCAS gets to tell me i cant count them that way, when im friggin paying them money so that I can apply to medical schools where I want to pay even more money.

Wheres the guy thats F**king me from behind, so I can shake his hand and say " Job Well Done" :mad: •••••Suck it up. Mistakes happen. AMCAS counts everythign regardless if your school doesn't. Some people have this notion that if you retake somethign the previous grade disappears. At my school if you retake somethign the higher grade doesn't replace the lower grade. So for those of you who don't have this policy you are lucky. I also suffer at a school with no plus or minus system. So a 3.5 is actually pretty darn ahrd to acheive comepared to those of you who get B+'s to pad the GPA.

AMCAS has to try and find a fair way to even out everything. Unfortunatley it screws some people over and helps others. Grades aren't everythign in the med school process, and I'm proof of that.

My GPA is a 3.32 right now. Listen up dicks i got sick with mono my freshmen year and i missed more then a month of school. I had to then take the finals and I just couldnt do it. I felt to sick and it made me pay. So i got 3 D's, I decided to retake them and do good this time.

I think all schools should be unified in there policies. That way there are no discrepancies. By the way i ended up paying for 4 , four credit classes at 525 dollars a credit. I dont care what AMCAS does, but if they want to screw me like that this summer i think i should get my money back from them.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by AntGod22:
•My GPA is a 3.32 right now. Listen up dicks i got sick with mono my freshmen year and i missed more then a month of school. I had to then take the finals and I just couldnt do it. I felt to sick and it made me pay. So i got 3 D's, I decided to retake them and do good this time.

I think all schools should be unified in there policies. That way there are no discrepancies. By the way i ended up paying for 4 , four credit classes at 525 dollars a credit. I dont care what AMCAS does, but if they want to screw me like that this summer i think i should get my money back from them.•••••dude, you really need to calm down. No one is saying that you deserved to get those grades. But the fact of the matter is that you did EARN those grades. Just b/c you had mono shouldn't merit you any special privileage. why didn't you withdrawal from the class or get an incomplete? Those options are there for a reason you know. If you feel that the way AMCAS calculates your grades is going to harm your application, why don't you address it in your personal statement? Some schools ask on their secondary applications if there is anything else you want to share with them, so you can also address your grades then if you want to.

I am with about the same grade so we are in the same boat. The thing is that because of all screening they maight not even get to the explanations. Plus I am an international student which makes it worse.