AMCAS-Work Activities...Is this bad/okay/good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a quick rundown of some work activities for my AMCAS and get some feedback on whether it needs a lot of work, or average, good etc.

Also to give you a scope of who I am...3.70cgpa, 3.65 BCPM gpa (these can go up/down depending on spring grades), (MCAT will be taken in March, praying to Almighty God for a 30+), and my #1 school is Rutgers medical school

---Work Activities
(each number will take up 1 "slot")

1. Volunteer at University Hospital, Newark, NJ ~200 hours
2. Volunteer at a private practice/office (Jersey City, NJ)~70 hours
3. Shadowing~25 hours
4. Church Youth Leader (the past few years--working a lot with middle school/high school aged kids
5. Youtube Channel w/drawing tutorials (in June will have around 100,000 views)--placed under "Artistic Endeavors" (I've been drawing all my life and my personal statement is centered around an "art theme"
6. Awards---basically Dean's list (all though college), Honors College, National Society of Collegiate Scholars (I had an invitation to join but never went through with it...not sure if NSCS is kind of BS (95$ fee) or legit?

--I also play piano at my church (not sure if I would include something as "trivial" as that)

So, I realize its not fantastic or anything---but as long as it doesn't bring me down...
What you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

3. Still sparse, so beef it up.
6. Don't bother with NSCS. Dean's List is already evident from your grades.

-- Yes, include piano. Use Artistic Endeavor since you share your talent with the world.

?Anything for the Research/Lab category?
---for the shadowing would more like 40 hours be acceptable? or are you suggesting like 80?

---Unfortunately I don't have anything for Research/Lab...I did do something my senior year of high school (2011) with the Waksman Students Scholars Program (http://wssp.rutgers.edu/PrevResearchProjects.html)
where we isolated and sequenced the genes of Duckweed--although I was in the program, only the "best" sequences from the class were published to NCBI but mine wasn't. Since I personally wasn't published + it was senior year high school...I'm not sure if including something like this would be "allowed" or a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
---for the shadowing would more like 40 hours be acceptable? or are you suggesting like 80?

---Unfortunately I don't have anything for Research/Lab...I did do something my senior year of high school (2011) with the Waksman Students Scholars Program where we isolated and sequenced the genes of Duckweed--although I was in the program, only the "best" sequences from the class were published to NCBI but mine wasn't. Since I personally wasn't published + it was senior year high school...I'm not sure if including something like this would be "allowed" or a good idea.
Typically if it didn't happen during college you shouldn't include it. Should work on getting some research (I'm sure you already know this)

Typically if it didn't happen during college you shouldn't include it. Should work on getting some research (I'm sure you already know this)
I hear
Personally, I'd consider 40 the minimum acceptable. I suggest getting in 50, which is about the average listed. Is that doable?
Yea, I think I can get in the 50s....the thing is its gets a little repetitive
Moving to WAMC forum
I think it can stay here? --its just about my AMCAS