AMCAS Work/Experience Contact Person

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vizious

Junglee
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the AMCAS W/E section, I was wondering who to place as the contact person for my inolvement on my fraternity's board. Would it be better to use the previous president, a student alumni, who knows the full extent of my contributions to the organization, or should I use our university Greek advisor, who I have worked with in the past but may not know the full extent of my work.

I'm assuming to list the Greek advisor, but are the contact people usually contacted to just verify the activity itself or are they asked about details regarding what I did?

Members don't see this ad.

Vizious said:
For the AMCAS W/E section, I was wondering who to place as the contact person for my inolvement on my fraternity's board. Would it be better to use the previous president, a student alumni, who knows the full extent of my contributions to the organization, or should I use our university Greek advisor, who I have worked with in the past but may not know the full extent of my work.

I'm assuming to list the Greek advisor, but are the contact people usually contacted to just verify the activity itself or are they asked about details regarding what I did?

i used my chapter president

Honestly, don't worry too much about it. Contact people aren't...err...contacted very much, in general. Consensus seems to be that most schools will only check up on something if it doesn't sound right and/or isn't supported by LOR's. Some schools do check though. Rochester has a blurb on its website that basically says your acceptance is contingent upon verification of your EC's. Stanford and VCU have also been known to check. It's the honor system for most schools, though. Honor it. :D

Edited to add: I'm not saying you weren't planning on going by the honor system. That comment was more for other people who will read this thread, just a general knowledge thing. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteered in a senior center starting in grade 11 during high school and continued until the end of first year of college.

Although I stopped after freshmen year because I found other groups/activities with which to work, I accumulated many hours during the 3 years I was there.
Is it ok to include this as an EC?

Also, since I stopped volunteering there about three years ago, who should I put down as a contact?
I'm not even sure if the same volunteer coordinator still works there, and even if she does, I'm pretty certain she probably won't remember me since they go through dozens of students during any given year.

mac_kin said:
I volunteered in a senior center starting in grade 11 during high school and continued until the end of first year of college.

Although I stopped after freshmen year because I found other groups/activities with which to work, I accumulated many hours during the 3 years I was there.
Is it ok to include this as an EC?

Also, since I stopped volunteering there about three years ago, who should I put down as a contact?
I'm not even sure if the same volunteer coordinator still works there, and even if she does, I'm pretty certain she probably won't remember me since they go through dozens of students during any given year.

If you continued in in college, include it. As for the contact person, it doesn't really matter (see above post). I had a similiar problem and just listed the name of the organization. Hope this helps! :luck:

Hi -- this is my first post...

I also have the same type of question that the OP had. I volunteered in the ER of a hospital during college (for two years, on and off), but as I've been out of school for a few years, I'm sure that the volunteer coordinator does not remember me. Is it okay just to list the name of the hospital without putting someone down in the Contact Name section?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks!