AMEDD Recruiter here to answer questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2LT Coburn

Army National Guard
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is 2LT Coburn, I'm an AMEDD recruiter from the North Carolina Army National Guard. One of our recent ASR commissionies let me know about this site and I thought it would be a good idea to be available on here for any questions members may have about ASR or any other AMEDD programs, as well as to dispell any bad rumors!

I've got up-to-date information on ASR changes and news. I will try to post on here when there are big changes with the program. The most recent change to ASR has been a 200 slot increase nation wide. This is good news for folks hesitant to get on board because of waitlist issues.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-2LT Coburn

(Please make this a sticky)

Members don't see this ad.

Most complaints that I've seen are about HPSP, and LT Coburn is not promoting that.

I haven't seen complaints about ASR or national guard AMEDD. If there are any, I'd be interested in hearing them. Thanks for posting LT Coburn - feel free to respond to comments in the other ASR thread that we have going too.

LT Coburn, Are you physician? Did you participate in the ASR program?

Members don't see this ad :)
2LT Coburn:

Two thoughts...

1. Please do not use SDN as an explicit recruiting tool.

SDN forbids commercial interests and vendors from coming on here to ply their trade. It's against the terms of service of the site. If you have stories to share, opinions, or thoughts, by all means feel free to contribute. Setting up a digital shingle for personal recruiting efforts is a no-no.

2. ASR already has a fairly robust thread.
There's currently a thread that runs 37 pages which is composed of people in the ASR program, like yourself, and people interested in it. It has the latest news and updates coming from about 7 active ASR folks. Duplicating that would be a challenge. Again, we do not use it to recruit, just answer questions about the program. Feel free to post, but if you are seen to be using it to recruit, it's bad juju.

Welcome to SDN and hope ASR treats you well. It's a great program...

Josh,

Do a search for the last recruiter's postings and then try to avoid repeating any of his mistakes. ASR is a new program that most of us don't really understand. Since no one has seen it through to the end, its very hard to know what will happen. I know what the promises are but anyone who has been in the military long enough should know that the deal can change at any time. Don't believe me? Until 5 years ago, residency and fellowship commitments ran concurrently for military trainees. Then they changed that. No change in the law, just a change in interpretation. So please be cautious what you promise people. You can't know how the NG will interpret its own rules in the future.

Mods: this is not an appropriate sticky. Please disregard his request.

What is your professional background?
r/

2LT Coburn,

I'm just curious - how does a young officer who branches Aviation become an AMEDD recruiter?

I don't have much to add from everyone else. Welcome to SDN.

2LT Coburn,

I second DT's inquest- how did you fall into the clutches of the AMEDD?

Perhaps I can write you an upslip to escape.

I'm very wary of things that seem too good to be true, like the ASR, if the musings of the doe-eyed premeds around here can be taken at face value.

I was recently briefed on the ARNG's OPTEMPO and shortfalls, specifically the Aviation side, from a reliable source. How long do you think it will be until you are calling these folks out of residency and tasking them with year-long deployments?

Not what these weekend warriors signed up for, I'd wager. But it might be exactly what they need....

61N

ASR is a new program that most of us don't really understand. Since no one has seen it through to the end, its very hard to know what will happen. I know what the promises are but anyone who has been in the military long enough should know that the deal can change at any time. Don't believe me? Until 5 years ago, residency and fellowship commitments ran concurrently for military trainees. Then they changed that. No change in the law, just a change in interpretation. So please be cautious what you promise people. You can't know how the NG will interpret its own rules in the future.
Agreed. For folks interested in ASR, I'd recommend going through the first pages of the thread devoted to it to become educated.

Those in the ASR program are exempt from mobilization and call-up. It explicitly covers officers participating in "a civilian Graduate Medical Education Training Program approved by the Department of Army as follows: (1) Medical, Dental and Surgical Residents..." In the days of stop-loss and all the rest, I'm sure the Army could figure out a way to keep you. But contractually you're a lot safer not being pulled from residency in ASR than you are in HPSP, for which I haven't seen any explicit guarantees for straight through training.

ASR > HPSP for independence and control of your residency training. HPSP > ASR for financial incentives. ASR is similar to FAP in that regard, except it's for the Guard forces rather than active duty.

Again, if folks are interested in learning more about the program, read the thread. No sense reinventing the wheel here.
Mods: this is not an appropriate sticky.
Agreed, agreed...

Last edited:
I'm very wary of things that seem too good to be true, like the ASR, if the musings of the doe-eyed premeds around here can be taken at face value.
ASR only sounds too good to be true to folks not reading the contract. You have an 8 year MSO, 6 years of drilling. It's the perfect program for some. But ASR, HPSP, FAP, none of them are good for folks who have no interest in serving in the military.
I was recently briefed on the ARNG's OPTEMPO and shortfalls, specifically the Aviation side, from a reliable source. How long do you think it will be until you are calling these folks out of residency and tasking them with year-long deployments?
In the many years of OIF/OEF, have you met a single Guard doc pulled from residency? No one has in my state. We haven't found one who has nationally either. Any mobilized after residency? Oh yes. But none pulled out of residency that we could find. Time may change but I haven't seen any indication or rumbles indicating that's on the way.

Could it happen, in spite of contract? Sure, probably. All bets are off in WWIII. But the Guard's spread about as thin as it has been in a long time and it hasn't happened yet. Predicting what will happen to existing contracts if wars that don't currently exist arrive is too much like reading tea leaves for me.
Not what these weekend warriors signed up for, I'd wager. But it might be exactly what they need....
You'd wager wrong. There may have been a time when folks joined the Guard counting on the weekend-in-the-woods thing, cause hey, how often does the Guard actually deploy? But those days have been gone for years. Folks who sign up now have a pretty good idea what they're committing to.

Don't want to get sucked into this. There's an active ASR thread in which you can learn all about the ins and outs of the contract, benefits, and duties. Feel free to hash it out there. There's probably not a driving need to start another one, certainly not one on a recruiting-oriented thread, which again is not kosher.

BNPG -

You're not serious right? Sarcasm sometimes does not come through well in the written word. He is a 2LT, can't be a doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
BNPG -

You're not serious right? Sarcasm sometimes does not come through well in the written word. He is a 2LT, can't be a doc.

I've said it before - we need a sarcasm font

Man, I would totally get into that if they offered it to me.

Of course, I suppose I either couldn't tell people here about it (publicly revealing identity = bad), or I'd have to give up posting all together.

But I would definitely do it.

You have to go on The Bachelor first and then the Navy will create a job for you at BUMED.

Play women's soccer for the Navy. :D

Now thats a detail I'd forgotten, taking call as an intern with Dr. Macri when she was a junior staff running around the hospital in adidas soccer shoes.

BTW Tired, looks like the answer to your question about the OP is 1 day. Looks like notdead is the winner.

I actually had Dr. Zawacki do my physical when I went down to BAMC for the HPSP physical. She is fricken hilarious. She is also great about getting back to you via email if you have questions. She would be the person to contact if anyone has questions.

No I am not a physician nor a participant of the ASR program. I'm an assistant AMEDD recruiter here with North Carolina.

2LT Coburn,

I'm just curious - how does a young officer who branches Aviation become an AMEDD recruiter?

I don't have much to add from everyone else. Welcome to SDN.

My background is Aviation but an AMEDD recruiter is branch immaterial, like many officer admin positions are.

1. Please do not use SDN as an explicit recruiting tool.

This is not my intention. My recent ASR commissionie told me there was a lot of bad information out there in regards to the ASR program. I'm only here to dispell those rumors.

So did you review the threads and find any inaccurate information on ASR? What rumors need to be dispelled?

(Tired: see I'll keep him engaged until day 11...winner right here)

No I am not a physician nor a participant of the ASR program. I'm an assistant AMEDD recruiter here with North Carolina.
We already have close to a dozen regular posters who are AMEDD student recruiters on the site. And they are participants of the program and training to become physicians, like the applicants looking for more information on the program.
This is not my intention. My recent ASR commissionie told me there was a lot of bad information out there in regards to the ASR program. I'm only here to dispell those rumors.
If your ASR commissionie (?) sees bad information he or she should post a question. Read over the ASR thread, which is now about 38 pages long, and see if you can find much in the way of bad info.

ASR is probably the most accurately portrayed military program on SDN. It's the only program in which those who recruit for the program are actual particpants in the program. So when someone asks questions about duties, responsibilities, lifestyle and benefits, the recruiter who answers actually has first hand knowledge. The reason milmed recruiters often get a bad rap here on SDN is that they pontificate about programs they know about from meetings, powerpoints, and marketing materials, but have not participated directly in themselves.

Also, in ASR, the people you recruit are people you will be working with as colleagues (nots subordinates) for years. They will also likely be involved in your social circles at medical school. This all incents truth-in-advertising.

Again, if you are interested in becoming a member of the SDN community, feel free to contribute and speak your mind. If you find ASR misinformation on one of the threads, please feel free to post and share your thoughts. But no explicit recruiting, please. Commercial interaction is a violation of TOS.

Last edited:
wow. Tough crowd....

Again... for the 3rd time: I'm not here to recruit!

There is no need to in the AMEDD world of recruiting, because everyone comes directly to our office. No cold calling, no hanging out at the mall, hospitals, or med schools. All of our leads are interstate transfers, active duty transfers, leads from fellow national guard soldiers, national guard soldiers that finally realize their eligible for a direct commission because they just complete a med school, ASR participants, the occasional patriotic doctor/pa, or friends of national guard soldiers who were told about the opportunities the guard has to offer them.

So please do not try to belittle me as a scum bag recruiter who is only here to make numbers and meet mission. I'm only here to help.

Once again (hopefully I won't have to say it again), I'm here only to answer questions people in this community may have regarding National Guard AMEDD opportunities, specifically ASR. There is no serect motive here.

Hello everyone!

My name is 2LT Coburn, I'm an AMEDD recruiter from the North Carolina Army National Guard. . . . . .

wow. Tough crowd....

Again... for the 3rd time: I'm not here to recruit!

There is no need to in the AMEDD world of recruiting, because everyone comes directly to our office. No cold calling, no hanging out at the mall, hospitals, or med schools. All of our leads are interstate transfers, active duty transfers, leads from fellow national guard soldiers, national guard soldiers that finally realize their eligible for a direct commission because they just complete a med school, ASR participants, the occasional patriotic doctor/pa, or friends of national guard soldiers who were told about the opportunities the guard has to offer them.

If the program recruits itself, then why do you have the title of "recruiter"? You make it sound like you don't really earn your paycheck.

wow. Tough crowd....

So if "they" come to you...why are you here?

So please do not try to belittle me as a scum bag recruiter who is only here to make numbers and meet mission.

Easy young lad...don't forget...there are several senior officers who read and post here. Don't forget your rank 2LT...since you're using it to post!

Easy young lad...don't forget...there are several senior officers who read and post here. Don't forget your rank 2LT...since you're using it to post!

That was not meant to be offensive in anyway and meant no disrespct (lets not try to spin it that way). I've been put on the defensive since my first post, and I was merely trying to explain that I'm not here for the reason's everyone thinks I'm here for. I'm not the "stereotypical recruiter", but that is clearly what a few people on this board think.

And yes I do work for my pay. My title is an assistant recruiter, but the majority of my job is compiling packets. Direct commission packets are no walk in the park, I'm sure a few of you are very familiar with the amount of information that is collected to process a packet.

If my services are not needed here, I will happily leave. I was just trying to help.

That was not meant to be offensive in anyway and meant no disrespct (lets not try to spin it that way). I've been put on the defensive since my first post, and I was merely trying to explain that I'm not here for the reason's everyone thinks I'm here for. I'm not the "stereotypical recruiter", but that is clearly what a few people on this board think.

And yes I do work for my pay. My title is an assistant recruiter, but the majority of my job is compiling packets. Direct commission packets are no walk in the park, I'm sure a few of you are very familiar with the amount of information that is collected to process a packet.

If my services are not needed here, I will happily leave. I was just trying to help.

I'm curious as to whether you post at work or at home.

That was not meant to be offensive in anyway and meant no disrespct (lets not try to spin it that way).

:laugh: I think he was just yanking your chain.

In general, the medical corps is the absolute last place you'll find someone pulling rank, as many military physicians have had sour experiences with senior nonmedical bozos. The notion of rank superceding professional qualifications is a teeth-grindingly tolerated, definitely not embraced, facet of the military around here. Even amongst those of us who are basically happy with the military.

You've got to understand that recruiters come and go here every couple of months. Most mean well but are so thoroughly clueless that it gets tiresome correcting their misguided bubbly enthusiasm. Over time the forum quit trying to engage you guys and just settled for poking sticks at you.

Tired said:
I'll start: 6 weeks.

I think all that heat must've gotten to you ...

Where's the Tired deployment thread full of stories? We've been waiting for months. Don't let us down.

That thread was fun to watch.

Hello everyone!

My name is 2LT Coburn, I'm an AMEDD recruiter from the North Carolina Army National Guard. One of our recent ASR commissionies let me know about this site and I thought it would be a good idea to be available on here for any questions members may have about ASR or any other AMEDD programs, as well as to dispell any bad rumors!

I've got up-to-date information on ASR changes and news. I will try to post on here when there are big changes with the program. The most recent change to ASR has been a 200 slot increase nation wide. This is good news for folks hesitant to get on board because of waitlist issues.

-2LT Coburn

I guess you may be the best person to give me information. Let me preface this my letting you know that I am a 7 year active duty Army vet, so please dispense with the bull***t. I was lied to by my first recruiter, so don't do it to me. I also had several army buddies who had been recruiters, and they told me their modus operandi, so I am not that gullible.

I am currently in California in my fourth year of a pathology residency, and I have been selected for the hematopathology fellowship here, as well. I was considering reentering the military, but I have a substantial amount of student loan debt. In order for me to consider the military as a viable option, I need to know how much money I would get up front for loan repayment, what rank I would be able at upon reentry, and how much I would get paid per year with a breakdown of base salary, each bonus amount, and other allowances. Quite frankly, if I would go in just as a capt/o3 after having gone to the trouble of getting subspecialty training, I probably won't do it. I would be the same rank as people who didn't, besides the fact that I will be triple boarded in anatomic pathology, clinical pathology, and hematopathology.

Hello everyone!

-2LT Coburn

This whole question might be moot, because the second lieutenant couldn't handle the heat and left the forum. It is just plain fact that recruiters have earned the reputation for being dishonest, BECAUSE THEY OFTEN USE DISHONEST TACTICS to get people to go in the military. The statements issued by recruiters to potential recruits typically contain chasms of omitted facts that would actually be pertinent to whether or not the individual decides on entering the military.

Anyway, that was off topic. I actually thought that you may be the best person to give me information. I have hesitated to contact my local recruiter because the last time that I did, they did not actually tell me any of the information that I listed below. So I terminated my contact with him, however, he continued to stalk me telephonically for months.

Let me preface this by letting you know that I am a 7 year active duty Army vet, so please dispense with the bull***t. I was lied to by my first recruiter, so don't do it to me. I also had several army buddies who had been recruiters, and they told me their modus operandi, so I am not that gullible.

I am currently in California in my fourth year of a pathology residency, and I have been selected for the hematopathology fellowship here, as well. I was considering reentering the military, but I have a substantial amount of student loan debt. In order for me to consider the military as a viable option, I need to know how much money I would get up front for loan repayment, what rank I would be able at upon reentry, and how much I would get paid per year with a breakdown of base salary, each bonus amount, and other allowances. Quite frankly, if I would go in just as a capt/o3 after having gone to the trouble of getting subspecialty training, I probably won't do it. I would be the same rank as people who didn't, besides the fact that I will be triple boarded in anatomic pathology, clinical pathology, and hematopathology.

This whole question might be moot, because the second lieutenant couldn't handle the heat and left the forum. It is just plain fact that recruiters have earned the reputation for being dishonest, BECAUSE THEY OFTEN USE DISHONEST TACTICS to get people to go in the military. The statements issued by recruiters to potential recruits typically contain chasms of omitted facts that would actually be pertinent to whether or not the individual decides on entering the military.

Anyway, that was off topic. I actually thought that you may be the best person to give me information. I have hesitated to contact my local recruiter because the last time that I did, they did not actually tell me any of the information that I listed below. So I terminated my contact with him, however, he continued to stalk me telephonically for months.

Let me preface this by letting you know that I am a 7 year active duty Army vet, so please dispense with the bull***t. I was lied to by my first recruiter, so don't do it to me. I also had several army buddies who had been recruiters, and they told me their modus operandi, so I am not that gullible.

How many more times are you going to cut, paste, and post this? We heard you the first 4 times.

I had to read this like 4 times to figure out what the heck your point was!

Were you prior enlisted? How long?

I am currently in California in my fourth year of a pathology residency, and I have been selected for the hematopathology fellowship here, as well...
Cross-posting is a violation of TOS on SDN.

If you have something to get off your chest, please start a thread and I'm sure folks will share their opinions with you. Please stop reviving old threads to keep repeating the same story. Thank you...

How many more times are you going to cut, paste, and post this? We heard you the first 4 times.

I cut and pasted it a message once from SSGAmeddrctr to this thread with the Lieutenant, whose most recent post is from a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping he was still periodically checking this site. That is the only reason that I cross-posted this one. There are discussions of so many of the same issues all over the military medicine thread that there are a great many individuals who would be guilty of "cross posting" also, but I don't see you trying to harass them. Do you just not like what I have to say? Does it bother you? Why? Why should something that I, a complete stranger, say or do bother you? The best advice I ever received in the military was to just "let it roll off," and now I give this same advice to you. If you don't like something someone has to say, just don't read it. If you are just focusing on what I say, don't you think that you are being a little predjudiced by focusing all of your energy on my posts. If you choose to read them then you really shouldn't complain about it, since that was your decision. You can harass me all you like, and I will still continue to post as I wish. Why? Because I do not consider your opinion important whatsoever. In order for it to have any impact on me, I have to actually care about it.

Last edited:
I cut and pasted it a message once from SSGAmeddrctr to this thread with the Lieutenant, whose most recent post is from a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping he was still periodically checking this site. That is the only reason that I cross-posted this one. There are discussions of so many of the same issues all over the military medicine thread that there are a great many individuals who would be guilty of "cross posting" also, but I don't see you trying to harass them. Do you just not like what I have to say? Does it bother you? Why? Why should something that I, a complete stranger, say or do bother you? The best advice I ever received in the military was to just "let it roll off," and now I give this same advice to you. If you don't like something someone has to say, just don't read it. If you are just focusing on what I say, don't you think that you are being a little predjudiced by focusing all of your energy on my posts. If you choose to read them then you really shouldn't complain about it, since that was your decision. You can harass me all you like, and I will still continue to post as I wish. Why? Because I do not consider your opinion important whatsoever. In order for it to have any impact on me, I have to actually care about it.

You should care what he thinks since he can ban you for not adhering to SDN's Terms of Service...

Reactions: 1 user
mmcnamara

It is my understanding that you can do the FAP program, which will give you 25K each year that you do it during residency/fellowship. It carries a 1.5/1 commitment. So, a 2 year fellowship would get you a 3 year commitment. As far as rank at entry, every year post graduation counts toward promotable years (so, 4 years of residency plus 2 of fellowship would give you 6 years for purposes of rank). I'm not sure if that would let you come in as a Major, but I think it might.

As for the money breakdown, well, it's listed in SEVERAL places, or you can check the pay tables.

Reactions: 1 user