Americal Dental Education Association starts section on programs for foreign grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rarm1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
At the American Dental Educational Association(ADEA) meeting which just ended today in Florida, a new section was started on programs for internation graduates. At the first business meeting, they started to plan a list server for program directors but also for future students.

They gave out what currently exists... some from the Amer Dental Assoc web site.

ADEA also started work on guidelines for these programs to make sure the education meets all standards.

I gave my pack to the Assoc Dean at Temple Univ (where they have a program) When I get them back, I will try to post the web sites... many have probably already have been posted here.

Additional good news, it seems more schools are looking into starting programs.

Members don't see this ad.

rarm1 said:
Hello all,
At the American Dental Educational Association(ADEA) meeting which just ended today in Florida, a new section was started on programs for internation graduates. At the first business meeting, they started to plan a list server for program directors but also for future students.

They gave out what currently exists... some from the Amer Dental Assoc web site.

ADEA also started work on guidelines for these programs to make sure the education meets all standards.

I gave my pack to the Assoc Dean at Temple Univ (where they have a program) When I get them back, I will try to post the web sites... many have probably already have been posted here.

Excellent news ... thanks for the insight !
Better days are to come ... :)

rarm1 said:
Hello all,
At the American Dental Educational Association(ADEA) meeting which just ended today in Florida, a new section was started on programs for internation graduates.

While you were there did you happen to hear about any updates regarding the current status of actual accreditation of international dental schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
rarm1 said:
Hello all,

Thanks Dr. Arm for the update. It is good to see that someone as yourself is now actively helping the foreign-trained dentists. We look forward to your valuable postings in the future.

regards,
rahmed

The Council on Dental Accrediation(CODA), reviewed the status... They have started to DISCUSS how they would provide a consulting service first, then after the school is ready they will do an accrediation visit.... easy said then done.

The standards will be the same as all American schools.... one standard... that will be a problem. ie cost... American schools pay a fee and all costs for each site visitor. It is expensive here... and may be too expensive for some/many foreign programs.
another problem - what is taught... ie amalgams, implants, # of procedures.
While the schools I have visited are excellent... they do not meet the US requirements... in some areas they are better, others they are not... but one standard for accrediation.

The schools in UK are not interested. about 20 asked about it, but the cost may be too much.

we r really fortunate to have somebody who s taking a initiative for foreign trained students. Its a gr88 news!
Thanks so much Sir.
Did they talk about an alternative to DDS(Advanced Standing program) to get the lisence to practise in the US???

treattothetooth :)

They reviewed all programs.. admission with advanced standing, seperate 2-3 year programs to graduate with the same degree as the 4 year program, CERTIFICATE programs (not recognized in many states for licensure), use of advanced special programs/residency program (again generally not recognized in many states for licensure), etc.... with all of these variants they want to start to see if standardization may help. No reason to take a program and find you can not get a complete licensure.

They are also starting to study the best predictors of success.... TOEFL (and the changes in that exam) National Boards (often show academic results but limited clinical relationship), etc....

As mentioned before they are looking with CODA to consult with many schools. ADEA has a large Counsil of students and I would advice all students currently in programs to join (most dental schools will get you free membership) and voice their opinions, advice and attend the meetings...

Thanks a lot Dr.Arm, for all the help.

Thanx for the info!!!! :)

rarm1 said:
The standards will be the same as all American schools.... one standard... that will be a problem. ie cost... American schools pay a fee and all costs for each site visitor. It is expensive here... and may be too expensive for some/many foreign programs.
another problem - what is taught... ie amalgams, implants, # of procedures.
While the schools I have visited are excellent... they do not meet the US requirements... in some areas they are better, others they are not... but one standard for accrediation.

I do know Sydney University is interested in this option and I believe they already have money set aside for this purpose. I also have heard that UMelbourne and UQ have may also be interested in this option.

yes... several countries are because of man power needs

rarm1 said:
Hello all,

wonderful new, thanks for informing us and please keep us posted about thoes websites

Does anyone know when the accreditation process for foreign schools (eg Australia) will being and how long its going to take. I can't seem to find alot of info on the web

Thanks

Unfortunately, its in the discussion stages and planning how it is to be done.
So far a "consultation" visit is plan first (all schools here have this pre/mock accrediation checkup). Then the accrediation.

Discussion will be if only new graduates will be counted... or former graduates will be grandfathered in... also if the country would allow american and canidan grads to go there...., and many more issues.