American board certified working in Canada? requirements?

BIGphysician

"Sometimes you gotta run before you walk"
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
www.asahq.org
  1. Attending Physician
    Hi everyone. I have a good friends who is a Canadian citizen. He did his residency in the US. He tells me that in Canada, anesthesiology residency is 5 years so to have equivalent training you would need to do a fellowship to be licensed and work in Canada as an anesthesiologist. It seems like other royal colleges; however, the American board certification is acceptable and there is reciprocity (Australia, etc). Anyone have any experience with this? Just wondering for a long term retirement escape plan type of background knowledge. Seems crazy that one could work 10 or more years as a board-certified anesthesiologist in the US but not be considered equivalent in any other country.

Gambino.

Gold Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    1. Medical Student
      Seems crazy that one could work 10 or more years as a board-certified anesthesiologist in the US but not be considered equivalent in any other country.

Is it that crazy though? People work 10 years in the UK but have to redo residency in the states from scratch if they want to practice here. There's ACGME reciprocity in Canada so there's the leeway of just making up the missed years but it is still a different way they go about residency at the end of the day.

TheTravelingShrink

Oct 1, 2020
      1. Attending Physician
        I put this in another thread also, but there's a community of US-trained physicians who want to move abroad that just popped up - I believe they'll be having a webinar on how to transition to Ontario and other provinces soon. They have lots of good information on Canada and other countries too...

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.