Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

american board of school neuropsychology

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by biscuitsbiscuits, Jan 5, 2018.

1. biscuitsbiscuits

Welcome to the ABSNP, LLC Website

I'm hesitant to ask, but, thoughts on this? Is it at all meaningful to be a diplomate of this board?

From what I've read here, I am skeptical. I know there are a lot of meaningless "boards" out there (and the hackles go up here whenever anyone brings up neuro and I get it, I do). But I noticed that a faculty member at my program is a member and it made me curious.

I am in a doctoral school psych program, but we have opportunities for some neuropsych assessment training through coursework in our own program, the clinical PhD program, and the PharmD program at our university, as well as practicum/externship opportunities. I'm not considering a neuro career, but I'd like to gain as much experience as possible in psychoeducational assessment and I'm wondering whether pursuing this additional training would be valuable.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist

Psychologist
    Us Neuro people see this particular "board" as a vanity board at best, a dangerous scope creep at worst when it comes to patient care.

Therapist4Chnge likes this.
  4. WisNeuro

Psychologist

Psychologist
    Additionally, I can't post the excerpts as it is from a private listserv, but one of our well known forensic neuropsych people talks about shredding these people up in court all the time. Apparently it is extremely easy to eviscerate them upon level of competency questioning and essentially getting all of their testimony thrown out.

5. biscuitsbiscuits

Wow. Thanks so much for your input on this. Do you mean eviscerating people from that specific board or just that type of board? I could tell it was sort of a "lite" board, but I didn't know it was that bad.

6. dynamicdog

Psychologist
    Could you say more about this?

7. WisNeuro

Psychologist

Psychologist
    That type of board. although he has talked about this one specifically several times.

#6 WisNeuro, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. WisNeuro

Psychologist

Psychologist
    Neuropsychology is about so much more than just administering tests and spitting out a report. The majority of us, especially those that are properly boarded, have extensive training in neuroanatomy and neuropathology. We know when someone needs follow up with medical services. From what I have seen, these vanity boards are nowhere near this. It's simply a scope creep from some people who are looking for better reimbursement at the expense of proper patient care.

9. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    Calling them a vanity board is an under-statement. I’d question a person’s credentials even more if they thought getting that boarding was a good idea.

10. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist

Neuropsych tests only test cognition. They’re easy. Understanding everything underneath to make deductions is vastly more difficult. There are many difficult ways to obtain and demonstrate competence in this. Some people seem to believe that the material isn’t difficult so they seek a shortcut. Other people have lax morals about how to make money including selling people stuff that doesn’t benefit them.