American citizen looking for a way back to America from 6-year school in Poland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matter

Reaction score
I’m an American citizen, and currently a student in Poland. It is a 6-year school, and I am in the final month of the first year.

I’m currently in the middle of academically-unrelated personal struggles that have a taken a psychological toll, and I want to switch to an American school by next fall by whatever means necessary. I was hoping you could tell me more to that effect, within the context of my situation.

From what I’ve been told, transferring between international schools that use a point pass/fail system to a domestic school that uses a grade system is very difficult to do, especially if from a 6-year to 4-year program, and without an MCAT, most of the time institutions will not be interested in such applicants.

On the other hand, the information I’ve gotten, is I have fewer problems with an undergraduate degree from an American college, which I have. I was pre-med up-to my junior year. For family reasons, it was suggested that I look at schools in Poland, which would not necessarily be concerned about full pre-med completion as a 6-year school, as long as I had finished the appropriate courses. Up to that point, the science and core classes I completed were a physics course, precalculus, Biology I and II, and Chemistry I and II. So, I decided to use my remaining time to study primarily for the mere pursuit of knowledge, as what was essentially a business degree with concentrations in both social impact and entrepreneurship.

By the end of my academic year, I will have completed chemistry again, biochemistry, biophysics, anatomy, medical sociology, preventative medicine, and first aid.

I finished my undergraduate degree with a general GPA of 2.99, which I’m aware generally would have to be balanced out with a strong MCAT, and an explanation for why I want to suddenly make the effort of coming all the way back to the USA.

I’ve been told that some schools will not consider foreign transcripts, even in the holistic review process.

I've started studying for the MCAT, and I know there are locations in Germany, France, and the UK. I've emailed a few schools asking for information, just as feelers to begin a dialogue. One hasn't been able to tell me very much, but basically said it would look at whatever I can give it--MCAT, transcript, and AAMC documentation if I can. I sent the emails roughly 36 hours ago, and I haven't gotten any other responses yet.

If you could provide me with some guidance on how I should proceed, that would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you possibly Matterrs, the youtuber? Just curious :3

Not sure why you are studying for the MCAT right now since you don't know if transferring will even be considered. Make sure it is before you continue

I'd forget transferring to a US school. Very unlikely that it'll happen

I am unsure what struggles you are going through right now, but the best route for you is probably to finish your studies at the polish school you are at.

Are you possibly Matterrs, the youtuber? Just curious :3

Not sure why you are studying for the MCAT right now since you don't know if transferring will even be considered. Make sure it is before you continue

I'd forget transferring to a US school. Very unlikely that it'll happen

I am unsure what struggles you are going through right now, but the best route for you is probably to finish your studies at the polish school you are at.

I am not. If there's any chance, I have to start studying now. I know someone on here has researched it, and found it it was possible to do, but the advice was specific to individuals who didn't have an American undergrad under their belt, and that is why I'm asking on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok. Won't you check him out and subscribe? :p He's a good singer

This is a pretty specific inquiry that few may answer. You can wait for a response but I suggest calling up schools, all of those you are interested, individually. Doesn't matter if it's international calls, add on an international plan to your current phone plan if you have to. First priority is getting info from the schools themselves - second-hand advice from SDN users is second in priority.

Oh ok. Won't you check him out and subscribe? :p He's a good singer

This is a pretty specific inquiry that few may answer. You can wait for a response but I suggest calling up schools, all of those you are interested, individually. Doesn't matter if it's international calls, add on an international plan to your current phone plan if you have to. First priority is getting info from the schools themselves - second-hand advice from SDN users is second in priority.

I will! Yes, I've been emailing medical schools. Its only been one day since, but I've only gotten one response so far. I think my mistake was leading with the word "transfer" instead of that and "or primary applicant". I really haven't had time to figure out, which ones especially interest me, I'm more just trying to figure out what my plan is in general right now. The only thing I know for sure, is the MCAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.