American College of Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting where I presented some research and it further turned me on to DO schools. I went good number of lectures, and one in particular related to the SI joint was an MD explaining osteopathic principles to other MDs to employ on their patients. For those of us interested in sports medicine the DO route seems like it will teach us this stuff the first time around. Just wanted to share.

In addition, there seems to be some revolutionary research coming about sedentary behavior. Not the simple exercising vs. non-exercising, but the actual amount of sitting, when the episodes of sitting are broken up by simply standing (or other movement), etc, and how it relates to cardio-metabolic function. Good stuff and a great experience. I encourage undergrads, like myself, to attend international meetings like this if it is possible. It's a lot to take in, but it's also a lot to take with you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing, and yes, there were DO's there too. My roommate was a third year resident in PM&R. I'm not really sure why a DO didn't teach the session.

Congrats on the presentation; sounds like a good experience. And learn all about those pesky SI joints, as they will rear their ugly heads frequently in practice!