American College of Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umean2tellme

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just attended my first conference. The ACS is an awesome organization and I enjoyed meeting various surgeons and learning about issues that affect surgery and surgical patients. I was curious do you automatically join the ACS upon completing a surgical residency? Also, is there a lot of non-surgical practitioners in surgical societies and/or surgeons in medical organizations?

Members don't see this ad.

I just attended my first conference. The ACS is an awesome organization and I enjoyed meeting various surgeons and learning about issues that affect surgery and surgical patients. I was curious do you automatically join the ACS upon completing a surgical residency?

Membership or being a Fellow of the College is not a requirement, nor is it automatic. You can read the requirements for admission to the College here.

Also, is there a lot of non-surgical practitioners in surgical societies and/or surgeons in medical organizations?

Not generally. There are some societies which cross specialties and occasionally non-surgeons in surgical societies (although not ACS, which requires you, to be a Fellow or Associate Member, to be in surgical training or a surgical practice) and vice versa (ie, I belong to ASCO and there are around 5% of members of the SSO and ASBS which are not surgeons).