American DAT Reading Comprehension Tutor needed!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProDentSil

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm in Toronto area and am desperate to find someone who can help me with RC section. I have done poorly 2 times and it is the only section pulling my average down.

If you are in Toronto and know how to help me encounter this section (become a faster reader + strategies) I will be willing to pay what ever rate you have. I need this ASAP. I'm a quick learner and will pick up what ever you say fast, just need that one on one guidance.

I have read many threads on different strategies and all have confused me and I have gotten worse.

Let me know! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there, RC is also my weakest subject of the DAT. What I usually do to improve my speed is I read 1-3 Scientific American articles a day, I usually look for an article that's around 1500-2000 words (I use the WordCountTools.com to count how many words are in the article), I usually aim for 10 minutes per article, and then after I'm done reading it I try to explain the article to my brother to make sure that I comprehended the main points.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello there, RC is also my weakest subject of the DAT. What I usually do to improve my speed is I read 1-3 Scientific American articles a day, I usually look for an article that's around 1500-2000 words (I use the WordCountTools.com to count how many words are in the article), I usually aim for 10 minutes per article, and then after I'm done reading it I try to explain the article to my brother to make sure that I comprehended the main points.

I hope this helps!

That's a nice strategy! I might try it.
I also use word counter and read around 1-3 articles every day.
But what I do is different. I use stopwatch and calculate the time
and then at the end I divide the numbers of words by the time I spent.
That is no way to get faster of couse, but I just want to know how fast I am and if I am improving or not.
Most of the time, it depends on my mood and how distracted I am.

Today though I decided to do a new method.
I started mapping the article I read. It took me longer time, but I understood it very well and I didn't daydream haha
I hope next time I do mapping, I'll get faster.

What is mapping method?
You just put the keywords of each paragraph.
Kew words are things like important terms, a significant number, or important concept 3-4 words max of each 2-3 lines.

OP, you can't become faster in reading in short time, this takes at least 2-3 months.

if your test is not near ( not this summer), I would read all day, novels and scientific articles
Choose sci-fi novels, you can be a member of Kindle unlimited (10 dollars a month) ( unlimited novels there) read a lot.

But if your test is soon ( this summer), so you just need to read at least 5 articles each day.

Try to watch these videos, that might be a bit helpful

They have other videos too

By the way I am a slow reader. I am afraid my dat will be ruined by RC. but I haven't taken any practice test yet.

Don't want to shock myself haha

Last edited:
If there's one section that probably benefits least from tutoring, it's RC. There isn't much another person can do to improve your speed or coach your analytic process. There are good strategies you can learn about on the forums at best, but I wouldn't be looking for a tutor in particular.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This strategy changed my score for Bootcamp less than 15 to 24 (haven't taken the DAT yet)
1. Number 1-15 (3x) this is for each paragraph, some might have more some might have less, but yeah just number.
2. Read the title, excite yourself a little, read the first question
3. Start reading the paragraphs, i wrote 2-3 words for each paragraph (words describing the main idea or key words) AND use the highlight function for definitions and key words.
4. If you answer the 1st question, click next, see if u can answer it, if not continue reading until you can
**IF i got to one of those questions where they say first statement is correct, the next one isn't blah blah early on (like questions 1-4 for each passage), I would just mark it and come back to it after I finished the rest of the questions for that passage.

This strategy did wonders for me, I have 5 minutes left by the time I finish and then I go back to the ones where I thought it could be between 2 answer choices.

Reactions: 1 users

I hope this helps!
Thanks I'll try that for sure everyday from today, I would want to test myself if I have understood anything from the articles as well but I don't think I'm gonna understand it to that extent to explain it to someone :D I'll try to think of a way

If there's one section that probably benefits least from tutoring, it's RC. There isn't much another person can do to improve your speed or coach your analytic process. There are good strategies you can learn about on the forums at best, but I wouldn't be looking for a tutor in particular.

What you are mentioning is defiantly correct there isn't anything intense to learn for RC I was just thinking of someone that can push me, time me and all these things that I am realizing I can do by myself as long as I put the effort.

That's a nice strategy! I might try it.
I also use word counter and read around 1-3 articles every day.
But what I do is different. I use stopwatch and calculate the time
and then at the end I divide the numbers of words by the time I spent.
That is no way to get faster of couse, but I just want to know how fast I am and if I am improving or not.
Most of the time, it depends on my mood and how distracted I am.

Today though I decided to do a new method.
I started mapping the article I read. It took me longer time, but I understood it very well and I didn't daydream haha
I hope next time I do mapping, I'll get faster.

What is mapping method?
You just put the keywords of each paragraph.
Kew words are things like important terms, a significant number, or important concept 3-4 words max of each 2-3 lines.

OP, you can't become faster in reading in short time, this takes at least 2-3 months.

if your test is not near ( not this summer), I would read all day, novels and scientific articles
Choose sci-fi novels, you can be a member of Kindle unlimited (10 dollars a month) ( unlimited novels there) read a lot.

But if your test is soon ( this summer), so you just need to read at least 5 articles each day.

Try to watch these videos, that might be a bit helpful

They have other videos too

By the way I am a slow reader. I am afraid my dat will be ruined by RC. but I haven't taken any practice test yet.

Don't want to shock myself haha

Thanks I will check it for sure

This strategy changed my score for Bootcamp less than 15 to 24 (haven't taken the DAT yet)
1. Number 1-15 (3x) this is for each paragraph, some might have more some might have less, but yeah just number.
2. Read the title, excite yourself a little, read the first question
3. Start reading the paragraphs, i wrote 2-3 words for each paragraph (words describing the main idea or key words) AND use the highlight function for definitions and key words.
4. If you answer the 1st question, click next, see if u can answer it, if not continue reading until you can
**IF i got to one of those questions where they say first statement is correct, the next one isn't blah blah early on (like questions 1-4 for each passage), I would just mark it and come back to it after I finished the rest of the questions for that passage.

This strategy did wonders for me, I have 5 minutes left by the time I finish and then I go back to the ones where I thought it could be between 2 answer choices.
I suck at finding the keywords for the paragraphs, I am positive the mapping technique is very useful but I probably should watch some videos because each time I mapped, it never helped me in the questions

I suck at finding the keywords for the paragraphs, I am positive the mapping technique is very useful but I probably should watch some videos because each time I mapped, it never helped me in the questions
I think the mapping technique is more of where the answer might be (like which paragraph) rather than it giving you the answer if you get what I mean

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I'm in Toronto area and am desperate to find someone who can help me with RC section. I have done poorly 2 times and it is the only section pulling my average down.

If you are in Toronto and know how to help me encounter this section (become a faster reader + strategies) I will be willing to pay what ever rate you have. I need this ASAP. I'm a quick learner and will pick up what ever you say fast, just need that one on one guidance.

I have read many threads on different strategies and all have confused me and I have gotten worse.

Let me know! Thanks.
Dunno if you're still looking, but I got a 26+ on my RC for every practice test and the actual. Not in Toronto, but I'd be happy to do a Skype session or two if you really want to lock it down.

Dunno if you're still looking, but I got a 26+ on my RC for every practice test and the actual. Not in Toronto, but I'd be happy to do a Skype session or two if you really want to lock it down.

Hi, I am struggling with RC so much!! took the test and recived <15 on the RC. Can you please help me out?