American DO abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrooklynDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
as I understand it, an american DO degree isnt transferable abroad... can anyone give me any info regarding this, how to get around it , etc if I eventually want to work abroad...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the country and their local board of medicine (or whichever government institution is responsible for licensure)

The governing board in Germany and Switzerland have found PCOM's curriculum equivalent to their own and thus allow DOs to practice medicine in Germany and Switzerland (in 1998). A OMM Professor at PCOM (who is moving to Germany) has an unrestricted license to practice medicine in Germany.

Look up Peter Adler-Michaelson, DO, MD, PhD
(btw, he got his MD and PhD from the University of Bern in Switzerland after he got his DO, however, his license to practice medicine in Germany is based on his DO degree, not his MD, but that's what he told me)

Not sure about other European countries, but he said that with Germany and Switzerland recognizing osteopathic medicine, it is a good precedent that can be used when you try to get an unrestricted license in another EU country's (like Ireland) governing board of medicine.

However, it depends on the country. I believe France does not recognize osteopathic medicine. England I think is on a case-by-case basis (but extremely difficult in general to obtain practice rights). Canada really depends on each Province.

Anyway, if you really want to know, contact the country's governing board of medicine and inquire about procedures needed to get an unrestricted license to practice medicine for a DO. If they say "there is no procedure" or "it's impossible" AND you really want to practice in the country - make friends with local prominent doctors and raise the issue - become the first DO in that country to get licensed. Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it's impossible.

Originally posted by BrooklynDO
Hey all,
as I understand it, an american DO degree isnt transferable abroad... can anyone give me any info regarding this, how to get around it , etc if I eventually want to work abroad...thanks

That's just not right. In my class, we have nearly 50% broads. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
There used to be a thread on this, title was something like "DO vs. MD", last modified ~October, but it's disappeared -- possibly deleted by the thread starter (a DO enthusiast), since there was evidence showing that DOs are at a real disadvantage compared to MDs at most countries outside the US.

To summarize the findings, the official osteopath site lists a bunch of countries where DOs "have in the past been licensed"...pretty lame wording, since as it turns out, various govts' and doctor recruiting sites explain that DOs are handled on a case-by-case basis for most countries outside the US (and those Canadian provinces that accept them out of hand). In other words, if you want to practice overseas, you generally have to go through a whole bunch of red tape to ensure you can practice, assuming you're not a priori rejected, and if you want to do locum tenems, you're screwed. If these are your interests, you're better off with an MD, even if as an IMG.

-pitman