American DO Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdoc11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Aussie who can to the US for med school and will be graduating in June '06. I am enrolled in an osteopathic school which in the US grants full medical privileges. I want to come back to Australia or New Zealand to do residency. I'm interested in both Derm and Physical Medicine & Rehab (physiatry). Does anyone know if this is possible?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to do at least an internship (PG-1) in the US to get a license.
Completing GME outside of the US, Canada, PR, etc will not lead to being BE here. PM&R is not a specialty in the UK. It is generally more difficult to attain GME there and as a US trained DO, you will probably not be considered.

BTW, multiple postings is bad form.

DOdoc11 said:
I am about to graduate from an osteopathic school in the US this June '06. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to do a residency in the UK or Ireland and then return to the US to work? I am interested in Derm and Physical Medicine and Rehab (Physiatry). How competitive are these programs? I am also an Aussie citizen, don't know if this helps at all.

Thanks!

DOdoc11 said:
I am an Aussie who can to the US for med school and will be graduating in June '06. I am enrolled in an osteopathic school which in the US grants full medical privileges. I want to come back to Australia or New Zealand to do residency. I'm interested in both Derm and Physical Medicine & Rehab (physiatry). Does anyone know if this is possible?

Sorry, I have no idea - I think contacting the AMA would be a good start. Osteopathy is something very different here - more like a physiotherapist than a medical doctor, it's weird how different some things are - anyway good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely my opinion based on no fact whatsoever:

I think it should be fine. You'll have to jump through hoops and sit bs exams and probably waste a year or two in the wopwops but apart from that....

DOdoc11 said:
Australia
Year of Last Request: 2000
Scope of Practice: varies
A U.S. educated and trained osteopathic physician was recruited to head up an emergency room in the suburbs of Sydney. Through the efforts of the hospital, he secured an unlimited medical license through the New South Wales Medical Board upon endorsement of the Australian College of Emergency Medicine. It appears that licensure would be dependent on the state. Previously, the Australia Medical Council denied a request by the AOA to recognize U.S. educated and trained D.O.s for the unlimited practice of medicine.

Medical Board Building
Off Punt Road
PO Box 104
Gladesville NSW 1675
New South Wales
AUSTRALIA
http://www.nswmb.org.au

Australian Medical Council
PO Box 4810
Kingston Act 2604
AUSTRALIA
http://www.amc.org.au

New Zealand
Year of Last Request: 2005
Scope of Practice: unlimited on a case-by-case basis
A US educated DO was granted full licensure to practice medicine as a GP with a specialty of Musculoskeletal Medicine. The license was awarded following a hearing before the licensing authorities in New Zealand.

The Medical Council of New Zealand
PO Box 11649
Wellington
NEW ZEALAND
http://www.ncnz.org.nz

John Cullen, D.O., M.N.Z.R.O.
New Zealand Register of Osteopaths
PO Box 11-853
Wellington
NEW ZEALAND

Hope this helps. You have some work ahead of you....