American Express Card - is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swindoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With interview season approaching for OOS applicants, I'm trying to find a way to save on air travels. What do you guys think of American Express Card?

I'd really appreciate some feedback from those who have used this service.

Members don't see this ad.

What a great thread! I too am wondering which travel card is best.

Reactions: 1 users
I am leaning towards the Capital One Venture Rewards card with its 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 in the first three months. Compare this to the Chase Sapphire Preferred which gives the same bonus, however you have to spend $4,000 in 3 months. Also the annual fee for Venture is less than Sapphire.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those miles aren't going to get you any far, it's best to just get a 0% interest for 12-15 month card.

I have no credit at all... and had no plans of ever getting a credit card. However, I will most likely run into problems on car rentals/hotels. I guess I have to start applying....

Reactions: 1 user
I am leaning towards the Capital One Venture Rewards card with its 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 in the first three months. Compare this to the Chase Sapphire Preferred which gives the same bonus, however you have to spend $4,000 in 3 months. Also the annual fee for Venture is less than Sapphire.

This is the card I use. Amazing card u get 2 miles for every dollar.

With interview season approaching for OOS applicants, I'm trying to find a way to save on air travels. What do you guys think of American Express Card?

I'd really appreciate some feedback from those who have used this service.

I regret not doing this when I did my interviews ( I flew to 5 different states).

I recommend getting mileage plus explorer with united. They are also a member of start alliance and have partners with other airlines (lufthansa, ANA, etc) in case you decide to travel overseas.

Southwest credit card! 50,000 miles free and of course it's cheaper and get free checked bags!

Reactions: 2 users
Regardless of your bank, if you've got Visa MasterCard or American Express there's a 97% chance your card has a built in rental car collision damage waiver that is automatic if you follow the right procedure. Call the number on the back of your card and ask. (You need to speak to the credit card processing company, not the bank.)

To be eligible you'll have to, among other things, use that card to reserve and purchase the rental, not rent an expensive car, and decline the rental company's collision damage waiver. (If you don't do any of those things you'll be SoL when you call the credit card company and ask them to cover the damage.)

It's a good way to save on the cost of buying the waiver through the rental company. Just remember that those waivers aren't insurance and don't cover anyone's injuries or, for that matter, damage to cars or property beyond the rental car. Often, your personal insurance covers all those things (except the rental... hence the need for the damage waiver from either the rental company or your credit card company).

I used to work for a company that administered these claims for Visa and MasterCard. They paid out dozens of claims a day all over the world... if you followed the dreaded "terms and conditions."

For those thinking of not getting a card, you need one. Not only for the future, but when you stay at a hotel and you use a debit card to check in, and not a credit card, they withdraw the entire deposit and then return it. If you have a credit card though this won't happen. This happen to me previously.

Those miles aren't going to get you any far, it's best to just get a 0% interest for 12-15 month card.
Actually, 40,000 miles is equivalent to $400, which is almost a free flight. For people like me who have to travel quite a large distance to all schools, one free flight is a deal!

Don't get a card limited to one airline it's stupid. Like a delta card, Southwest etc. Get a card that's good for all travel..

If you need to build credit id recommend getting a quicksilver card first until your score is high enough for a venture. Then you can keep the quicksilver for uber since uber and quicksilver have a deal for the next year 20% off when u pay with ur quicksilver

Or do like I did and get 2 cards at the same time! I got one that gave me airline miles and one that had 0% APR for 12 months. (I did this awhile ago, not for interviews.)

Btw, if you apply for a card and get denied, you can call their customer service and ask them nicely to reconsider you if you can somehow show that you will be able to make payments. I did that for one of my cards. I didn't have much credit history, but I'd already been making student loan payments (on time), so they saw that and I got approved. (I also mentioned that I had just gotten approved for the other card, and that I had my checking acct with them and liked them, blah blah, butt kissing lol)

[Insert disclaimer about abusing your credit cards and ruining your life here.]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Take it from someone that has14 credit cards, I would recommend you any card that give you 0% intro apr for 12-18 months. (Amex everyday, discover it, Chase freedom, etc)

"don't lose sight of the forest for the trees."

Actually, 40,000 miles is equivalent to $400, which is almost a free flight. For people like me who have to travel quite a large distance to all schools, one free flight is a deal!

You still have to spend $3-4k in 3 months to get a free $400 flight. You see why they give you that free flight?

You still have to spend $3-4k in 3 months to get a free $400 flight. You see why they give you that free flight?
The sad thing is this is what I'm budgeting for the interviews I will (hopefully) receive. :( This process is expensive!

So sad that I don't qualify for Capital One Venture Card because my credit card limit is lower than $5000 because I don't work :(

Don't get a card limited to one airline it's stupid. Like a delta card, Southwest etc. Get a card that's good for all travel..

If you need to build credit id recommend getting a quicksilver card first until your score is high enough for a venture. Then you can keep the quicksilver for uber since uber and quicksilver have a deal for the next year 20% off when u pay with ur quicksilver
Could you expand on this a little more? I don't qualify for venture unfortunately

Just wanted to note that capital one cards usually come with an annual fee. The capital one venture card annual fee is waived for the first year but that's it. If you're planning on using it a lot or cancelling it after the first year, then it's a good option.

Southwest credit card! 50,000 miles free and of course it's cheaper and get free checked bags!

Not always. Southwest is almost always the most expensive flights from my area, even with the "free" bags factored into the rate. Also, SW doesn't fly everywhere so you really might limit yourself when applying and needing to fly somewhere.

So? It's a bit late now for those that already applied, but it's a good way to pay for your applications and such.

Look into regular bank credit cards and see what they offer. Often you can exchange the points for dollars and get more bang for your buck vs having to only use them for airline miles.

So? It's a bit late now for those that already applied, but it's a good way to pay for your applications and such.

If you can't afford a plane ticket and need those miles to do so, you definitely do not need to get a CC and spend $4k.

It's playing directly into the CC companies game.

If you can't afford a plane ticket and need those miles to do so, you definitely do not need to get a CC and spend $4k.

That's how they getcha!

Not being able to afford a ticket and wanting to save money on is not the same thing. Also, you are paying for your tests, applications, secondaries, etc. somehow already, so why not put it on the card, pay it off with the money you were going to spend anyway and get the miles??

Not being able to afford a ticket and wanting to save money on is not the same thing. Also, you are paying for your tests, applications, secondaries, etc. somehow already, so why not put it on the card, pay it off with the money you were going to spend anyway and get the miles??

LOL! I see you beat me here..

This is exactly what I was thinking. Makes sense to get rewards if you'll be spending the money anyway.