American Foreign Trained Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sagz86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...just joined...ok so...I was born in America...and reside in Tennessee...and my grades as an undergrad were not good enough to a dental school in america. I just got into R.V. Dental College in Bangalore, India....and was wondering if I would have any more advantage in my transition back to the States once I am done? I still have a long time, as I will start my first year in September, but I want to know what I will have to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Study your ***** off! Get good grades, score way above 85 on part I. IF u can , try to do part II, gives you a better chance in getting in. Unfortunately, it does not matter if you are US citizen or not. You will be finishing dental school in a different country, the schools' will treat you as if you are coming from an internation dental school. It does not matter where you are from originally. So, Good luck with it all. If I were you, I would try to attend a US dental school from the get go. It is much more difficult to return to a US dental school for a FTD program than to start from one. You should take DAT's over again and score high and maybe volunteer for some clinical experience, maybe go back to school and take some classes over again to jump your GPA. But you know what? That's just my personal opinion. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

Dr. Ace

I agree w/ Dr. Ace a 100%........i did the same thing as u sagz....if i could do it all over again, i would just work harder in undergrad and do better on the DAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
yea...I would definitely do that...but I really messed up in my undergrad...and now i have to resort to this....so...i got a 19 on my DAT...which is fine...but my GPA..is not even worth mentioning...oh well..now I just gotta work hard as hell for all the partying I did earlier..

sagz cant you take more courses and do better to improve ur gpa? i dont know...i just feel like ur going on the same road i did a LONG time ago...but if thats what ur heart says that u want to do then do it i guess.

I dunno...b/c I got C's in organic 1 and 2, and physics 2, and chem 2....and our school does not allow for you to retake classes you get a C in....so that ripped my science GPA...bad...i mean yea im gonna waste like 2-3 years more of my life...but im 22...so I hope to be done with everything by im 29 or so...

where did you go undergrad in the US? and where did you go in india for dental school!? I'm goin to R.V. Dental College in Bangalore, heard anything about it?

uhm...i dont think...it is easier to start over in the USA...its just a longer process...because in other countries is dentistry is BDS not a DDS...and also...for those who are in D-dental how many of the people who are in the school are international students..."MANY" They come here debt free...which is a very very BIG PLUS!!!!

uhm...i dont think...it is easier to start over in the USA...its just a longer process...because in other countries is dentistry is BDS not a DDS...and also...for those who are in D-dental how many of the people who are in the school are international students..."MANY" They come here debt free...which is a very very BIG PLUS!!!!

I do agree that if you want to practice in the US.. it is much easier to get a US dental degree. (because of accreditation).

However, it has nothing to do with the fact that some countries call their dental degrees BDS or DDS, or DMD, or DDM, or CD, or whatever.

Just so you know.. some countries in Europe and asia call their degrees DDS too but they are just like the BDS from England (5-6 years out of high school). Soo.. what you call it really doesn't mean anything. By the way. There are also some programs that are called BDS or BDent and require a previous degree for admissions. So, the title doesn't really reflect the admissions process and traditions are different depending on the country. :thumbup: