American IMG, matched into TY...Looking to match EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saladin MD

EM Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm super happy with the match results, thank God. I matched into a TY spot. Looking to seal the deal in the fall of this year, by applying to EM.

Any advice for a TY (or prelim) intern trying to match into EM?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I'm super happy with the match results, thank God. I matched into a TY spot. Looking to seal the deal in the fall of this year, by applying to EM.

Any advice for a TY (or prelim) intern trying to match into EM?

Take advantage of your EM rotation during TY year and hopefully try to set it up early in the year (i.e August, September or october). Make sure you are the best damn intern there and get a good letter from an EM attending there. It also helps if the hospital has an EM program. Maybe you can make good contacts and a good letter might prove to residency committees (when you reapply for EM) that you can be a good EM resident. So, did you apply for EM this year and was not successful and then scrambled into TY?

Take advantage of your EM rotation during TY year and hopefully try to set it up early in the year (i.e August, September or october). Make sure you are the best damn intern there and get a good letter from an EM attending there.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking along the same.

It also helps if the hospital has an EM program.

Unfortunately it does not, but I can do an away elective (at least that is what they told me during the interview).

So, did you apply for EM this year and was not successful and then scrambled into TY?

I applied to the match extremely late due to being off cycle (mid-December). No EM programs dl-ed my application. I lucked out and got a last minute interview at a TY program. So thankfully I didn't have to scramble...I woke up for the scramble just to see if any advanced EM programs would be available, but promptly went back to sleep when I saw a big fat zero next to advanced EM programs...