American interested in Canadian Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abmuk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I wanted to get a idea of the process and requirements of getting accepted into a Med school in Canada? What is the process of coming back to the US as a doctor? I have some background in the French language, would that be of any use to me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can read a bit about most of your questions in the mcgill med school thread. French would be useful at mcgill (or any of the french universities though they tend to not take u.s.a. peeps) or ottawa. You can find out the info on prereqs for canadian schools in the MSAR (medical school admissions requirements) book which is readily available at most barnes & nobles/ borders/ university bookstores/ amazon.com. For residency, you simply apply through CaRMS to ERAS and register for the NRMP...it's the same process as for U.S. grads, except in the box for where you attend medical school, you select Canadian medical student instead of U.S. medical student.