Oct 26, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,
I am a Canadian BSc. Neuroscience Student applying to Medical Schools in the United States this year in addition to my Canadian application.
I don't know much about American Schools or where I have a chance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GPA: 3.96
MCAT: 515 (PS- 128, CARS - 128, SS-129, BS-130)
Extracurriculars:
Research
-4.5 years in a cancer research lab, three national level undergraduate summer research grants + paid semester research through school outstanding scholars program
- 1 Science conference presentation with three awards (this was in higshchool though, If youve ever heard of Sanofi BioGENEius, its that. I took 1st and a few other prizes when I did it)
- 2 education conference presentations and 2 published abstracts

Medically Related Volunteering
- 4 years of being the Cdn. equivalent of an EMT on school team, rose to level of crew chief (running shifts w/ authority) and became involved with team executive
- 2 years volunteering with a cancer research group that focuses on public education and establishing cross border and interdisciplinary researcher-physician partnerships in cancer research. Also on their conference organizational committee

Other volunteering
-Coached girls hockey and soccer
-Sat on Oustanding Scholars student council as treasurer
- Helped organize inaugural school "science academy" highschool science outreach - and has helped run it every year since (3 years)
- redesign of first year biology course to implement interactive web based tools to increase student engagement
- design and implementation of cancer learning lab for first year biology ( also being implemented in youth science outreach program "let's talk science")

Employment
- TA for first year biology course (2 years)
- Youth hockey referee and timekeeper

Awards
- continuing entrance scholarship
- top 50 average award
- Oustanding Scholars award

Any help determining which schools would be a reach, target and (safety) i'm not sure these really exist) schools

Last edited:

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Buy MSAR.
Filter for the 57 schools that consider internationals.
Eliminate the ones that matriculated 3 or less.
Eliminate the mission based schools.
Apply to the remaining ones that have a median MCAT around 34 or less (if that is your only MCAT).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M
Oct 26, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Buy MSAR.
Filter for the 50 odd schools that consider internationals.
Eliminate the ones that matriculated 3 or less.
Eliminate the mission based schools.
Apply to the remaining ones that have a median MCAT around 34 or less (if that is your only MCAT).
I have the MSAR, its not very helpful. I'm not sure which program is what (bacc/MD vs. Grad/MD) and it only tells me 10-90th percentiles for GPA

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I did purchase it.
Start by using the filter to identify the 57 US schools.
The matriculant MCAT and gpa medians are on the first set of graphs for each school.
The acceptance tab has the info on internationals.

Last edited by a moderator: