American Schools that Accept Canadian DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orion

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools (like Detroit-Mercy) clearly indicate that they accept American or Canadian DAT scores. Does anyone know of other American Schools that are open to Canadian applicants ?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Orion,

Nearly all dental schools in the United States accept the Canadian DAT, so it won't be absolutely necessary that you write the American version. I don't know of any U.S. dental school that doesn't actually consider the Canadian DAT, but there may be one or two. It would be a good idea to just double check with the admissions officers at the schools you are interested in. American schools will take into consideration your academic average and your PAT score, and will not judge your score for carving.

Good Luck! :)

EleannaDDS,

It isn't entirely true that they don't look at carving. There are some schools who require students to have a minimum score across all sections of the DAT. I have a friend who was told that his carving score, which was lower than the rest, is why he was not granted an interview, even when all his other scores were great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only US school i know of which doesn't accept the Canadian DAT is UCLA....i believe every other school accepts the Canadian DAT with no problem.

According to the American dental schools that I corresponded with prior to my own application process, admissions officers there confirmed that they did not consider the carving score. Like I said, it would be wise to double check with each individual school you're interested. Admissions requirements change frequently.