American studying medicine in Europe moving back to America?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverkvothe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, first time poster!

I was born and raised in America so my first language is English. I'm halfway through medical school in the Netherlands (in Dutch) and was wondering how I should go about moving back to America (specifically California, I have family there) if I wanted to. I'm keeping my options open but want to see if there's anything I can do now. I'm already working on plastic surgery research as a medical student so I will be published before I graduate.

It's a lot easier to get a surgery residency here I believe, you don't need to do anything like the USMLE, so I would expect to do those if moving back. My question is can I move back there as a plastic surgeon and practice after a few years of re-training? Or is it better to try and get a residency there, which would be more competitive?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

The American Board of Surgery does allow for some foreign training, but to answer your question: no you can't train as a plastic surgeon in the Netherlands and then work in the US as a plastic surgeon without essentially repeating the entire training. The board may give credit for up to 2 years (last time I checked) of foreign training however, the catch is that you must already be in a US training program before you can apply for the credit.

The loopholes of coming to the US and doing a fellowship without the US based residency, are fast closing.

As we've said for years: best to train in the country you envision working in.

Reactions: 1 users
Just going to add - California is very specific about which foreign medical schools they give accreditation to. You may want to google whether or not your medical school is accredited by California. I know my university didn't get accredited until a few years ago - so before that our graduates could practice in the entire US except for California.

edit: it won't let me post a link but just google "Medical Schools Recognized by the Medical Board of California"

Last edited: