American UK Graduate Entry (4 year) Med Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

bigchoader

Are there any American med students around here that are attending/will attend a 4 year graduate entry medical program in the UK? Preferably I would like to pose questions to a person who went to a undergraduate university in the states. I have questions like: did you take entrance exams? Where did you take entrance exams? What schools would you recommend applying to? Stats? Extra Curriculars? Internships/jobs abroad that may help one get in?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Almost all GEPs in the UK are restricted to UK/EU "home" students. You need to have EU citizenship AND 3 years of residency prior to beginning med school - highly unlikely for somebody who did undergrad in the US.

I know that Barts and the London (Queen Mary's) does not have that restriction, and St. Georges (London) may not have it either. Google them.

5-year programs are definitely open to international students, however.

Anyone that has anything additional comments/knowledge on this topic please continue to post.

Jedi - And others, - what, to your knowledge, are the pros and cons of doing such a 5 year program. How would costs pan out in comparison to American schools? Will I have to retake my organics and other biological sciences in a 5 year program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone that has anything additional comments/knowledge on this topic please continue to post.

Jedi - And others, - what, to your knowledge, are the pros and cons of doing such a 5 year program. How would costs pan out in comparison to American schools? Will I have to retake my organics and other biological sciences in a 5 year program?

Hey, Jedi is right, GEP is blocked off for the most part to locals. St.Georges stopped taking international for 4 and 5 year programs in 2006 I believe.

I just finished my 4 year degree (BScH) here in Canada, and will be starting in Birmingham for 5 year MBBS in Oct.

I think 5 year is beneficial, since that extra year is crucial to boost your resume/USMLE prep/do an elective in U.S, etc. etc. Plus I figure an extra year of clinical work can't make you a worse doctor, right?

Blitz is right... St. Georges GEP no longer accepts international students.

There are limited spots for international students in the Barts and London GEP.

SO speaking about 5 year programs then instead of 4 year GEP's, which schools would you suggest applying (are more willing to give acceptances to Americans from an American undergrad). I would like to maximize my chances of acceptance while still applying to well regarded programs.

Thanks

Birmingham University seems to be familiar with US undergraduate qualifications and is known to be particularly amenable to American applicants to its medical school. Otherwise there is a good track record of NA applicants gaining acceptance at the Scottish universities.