American University of Beirut Amcas grade conversion to a 4.0 scale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nahhaso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there everybody, this is my first post on this forum.
I need some help converting my university grades to amcas grades. You see, my university has a numerical grading system and it has a scale that allows students to convert their numerical grades to a 4.0 scale. The grade conversion chart is here www.aub.edu.lb/registrar/Pages/academic-information.aspx
On the amcas i don't plan on using the numerical grades chart to convert my gpa to the amcas gpa since it deflates my gpa susbstantially. But what i do plan on using are my grades that i converted to a 4.0 scale using my university's chart. However, on the amcas the 4.0 scale conversion chart only lists 3.3 and 3.7 as possible convertible grades. My problem is that i have 3.92 and 3.62 grades on biology and chemistry for example. What do i do? do i round up? down? My university has no letter grading system, and does not even have a chart to convert to that system. i might as well stick to the Tmdsas cz their my gpa is about 3.62 but on the amcas is dips to a 3.3 if i use the numerical grade conversion chart (which i dont want to do, and hopefully with your help i might be able to use the 4.0 chart if somebody can solve this problem for me:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

personally I would round to the closest (so 3.92=4.0 3.62=3.7) but I have no idea-- maybe call AMCAS?

You put in the exact grade received.

My school gives out 3.9's, 3.8's, 3.6's etc. I emailed AMCAS and they said to put the exact grade received. The conversion charts are mainly for common grading scales.

Members don't see this ad :)
You put in the exact grade received.

My school gives out 3.9's, 3.8's, 3.6's etc. I emailed AMCAS and they said to put the exact grade received. The conversion charts are mainly for common grading scales.

Oaklandguy, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. If you don't mind me asking, how did ur application work out with that kind of grades? Did Amcas ask u to resubmit grades or was everything normal? Thank you

Does anyone else also have this problem????

I just cheked it out. Do u think they'll change the grades substantially?

I think they make the grades into whatever their American equivalent is. You can't do anything about it now, so I think your best bet is entering them, submitting when you're ready, and working with the GPA they give you. Since you probably have to know in order to pick schools--maybe you could call and ask if they can share a copy of the grade conversion chart so that you can get an estimate of your GPA just for the sake of applications.

Amcas didnt even look at the table. :thumbdown:
gpa dipped from a 3.62 to a 3.29. Fantastic.
Though on all the secondaries im writing my grades using my universitys grade conversion chart instead of amcas':xf:

Hi there everybody, this is my first post on this forum.

What a coincidence but my dad went to AUB back in the early 70's. He did civil engineering there. Anyways, good luck with everything.

Amcas didnt even look at the table. :thumbdown:
gpa dipped from a 3.62 to a 3.29. Fantastic.
Though on all the secondaries im writing my grades using my universitys grade conversion chart instead of amcas':xf:

that sucks