American University of the Carribean opening U.S. D.O. School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spreebee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It will be stationed in Colorado, and its first class is in 2008...

See reply #14 below for more information

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

"American University of the Carribean D.O. school, Colorado."

I can't even wrap my head around how many things are wrong with that.

and what internship/residency opportunities will they provide and WHERE?

Talk about being the red-headed stepchild* of med schools....:eek:

*Neither red hair nor stepchildren do I hold anything against.

I presume you are talking about the Rocky Vista University, school of Osteopathic medicine which has absolutely no connection with the carribean schools..where do these things come from?????

I presume you are talking about the Rocky Vista University, school of Osteopathic medicine which has absolutely no connection with the carribean schools..where do these things come from?????

Please remember that this is SDN, the site which can create truth out of nothing....

Talk about being the red-headed stepchild* of med schools....:eek:

*Neither red hair nor stepchildren do I hold anything against.

Hahah, I love the disclaimer.
(I happen to also love redheads, too...)

troll.jpg

??

Members don't see this ad :)

The SON of the owner of the AUC will run it, own it, and start it...

Rocky Vista University's Chancellor/Owner, Mr. Yife Tien of Coral Gables, Florida (SON)

http://www.coloradodo.org/newsletter_0706.pdf (run a search for him in the pdf)

AUC's Chancellor/Owner: Paul S. Tien, PH.D.

AUC's central office Coral Gables, Florida

more on this:
http://www.valuemd.com/american-university-caribbean-auc/129739-aucs-new-do-school.html

The SON of the owner of the AUC will run it, own it, and start it...

Rocky Vista University’s Chancellor/Owner, Mr. Yife Tien of Coral Gables, Florida (SON)

http://www.coloradodo.org/newsletter_0706.pdf (run a search for him in the pdf)

AUC's Chancellor/Owner: Paul S. Tien, PH.D.

AUC's central office Coral Gables, Florida

more on this:
http://www.valuemd.com/american-university-caribbean-auc/129739-aucs-new-do-school.html

SWEET! a DO Carribean School based in the US!! haha ... gotta love it :laugh:

hey look guys, I just couldn't cut it in the MD Carribean, so I went to Rocky Vista, a Carribean-based DO school in the US!!

:laugh:

Well I dont know if you guys know but some of the caribbean schools are owned by American universities. I know that the people who own Devry University own (and operate) a med school in the caribbean, however, at the moment I forgot which school it is exactly. I will do a search and paste the link.

This is pretty believable... and makes even more sense as to why Rocky Vista is going to be the first for-profit med school here.

Barry University which owns St. George's in Grenada is opening up a DO school in N. Miami Beach. AUC is just following suit.

DO schools have a bad stigma in certain circles. Caribbean schools have bad stigma in certain circles as well. Caribbeans opening DO schools... I can see many flame wars and heated discussions in SDN's future.

Well I dont know if you guys know but some of the caribbean schools are owned by American universities. I know that the people who own Devry University own (and operate) a med school in the caribbean, however, at the moment I forgot which school it is exactly. I will do a search and paste the link.

DeVry owns Ross.

It bought both the Vet and med school.

This is pretty believable... and makes even more sense as to why Rocky Vista is going to be the first for-profit med school here.

Barry University which owns St. George's in Grenada is opening up a DO school in N. Miami Beach. AUC is just following suit.

DO schools have a bad stigma in certain circles. Caribbean schools have bad stigma in certain circles as well. Caribbeans opening DO schools... I can see many flame wars and heated discussions in SDN's future.

I thought I remembered hearing that the Barry school was a no go.

:confused: uh! I'm utterly confused.:confused: :confused: I know what it means to have an american based medical school in the carribbean, what I don't get is what it means to have a carribean medical school in the US.
Does that mean students will go back to the caribbeans to do their rotations and practice?
Is the school for american students, carribean students or both? and why open it in the US?
I'm really confused guys, somebody please enlighten me.

Is this for real? I can't understand the motivation in the AOA accrediting this school. Can someone explain? :)

:confused: uh! I'm utterly confused.:confused: :confused: I know what it means to have an american based medical school in the carribbean, what I don't get is what it means to have a carribean medical school in the US.
Does that mean students will go back to the caribbeans to do their rotations and practice?
Is the school for american students, carribean students or both? and why open it in the US?
I'm really confused guys, somebody please enlighten me.

Well, I think there is some confusion here. I read the other site (www.valuemd.com) and it seems that this new school in CO is not a "Caribbean" school in the US, as such, but a new Osteopathic school that is being opened by the son of AUC's Chancellor. I understand that AUC, given it's obvious connection to the new school, will be helping the new school out by sharing some of it's faculty and staff.

Well, if it is a US medical school, I don't see why it would be any different than any other US medical school. Apparently, it is pre-accredited by AOA. The only significant thing is that it is going to be run and operated by the son of AUC's Chancellor/Owner. I heard something about it being for-profit, or something. Hopefully it will be a good quality school.

As long as AUC is willing to help fund and create some competitive residencies I'm all for them.:thumbup:

I thought I remembered hearing that the Barry school was a no go.

Dean Silvagni here at NSU said within the last few months that it is coming... but maybe in the last month or so something has changed? Hopefully it's a no go....

Can for-profit medical schools receive government research grants or state aid? Furthermore, can alumni donations be considered tax-deductible? It seems like the for-profit status would necessarily limit a school's ability to raise money apart from raw tuition/fees. Or maybe they have some really rich investors bankrolling the whole project. Expecting to make a nice profit, of course.

Dean Silvagni here at NSU said within the last few months that it is coming... but maybe in the last month or so something has changed? Hopefully it's a no go....

why do you say that. Personally I would love another med school in the S. Florida area that way I have better chances of staying in Miami. oh and F.I.U. is suppose to be opening an M.D. school as well but its first class is not until 2008-2009

The CO DO school has been in the works for a while now. It was discussed a few months ago. FYI, it's not a carribean school opening up DO school, but a new DO school which seems to be a for-profit school. It is not a branch school of the carribean school but simply a new DO school (like the ones popping up these past few years). I'd wager that its standards will be the same as the other new DO schools.

don't get me wrong, I'm all for you guys getting into med school close to home or wherever you want to be geographically, BUT, with all these schools popping up one must think of how many residency positions will be available in the future.

Sure everyone thinks it's great to increase med school class sizes so more docs are available but who is going to train us when we're out of school. The government currently pays for our salaries as interns/residents but residency positions haven't been increasing just because class sizes are.

I'd think long and hard about going to a school that doesn't have a GME program to take you through residency (are they really concerned about creating good docs or do they just want to collect tuition). Not to say that you should do residency where you went to med school but it's just irresponsible to provide half of your training.

I say bring back Flexner

Aren't most of the current DO schools for profit? Oh ya, and there are tons of primary care residencies that go unfilled every year!

Aren't most of the current DO schools for profit? Oh ya, and there are tons of primary care residencies that go unfilled every year!

I think you might be confusing "private" and "for-profit." Most of the DO schools are private, but I think they're not for profit (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

don't get me wrong, I'm all for you guys getting into med school close to home or wherever you want to be geographically, BUT, with all these schools popping up one must think of how many residency positions will be available in the future.

Sure everyone thinks it's great to increase med school class sizes so more docs are available but who is going to train us when we're out of school. The government currently pays for our salaries as interns/residents but residency positions haven't been increasing just because class sizes are.

I'd think long and hard about going to a school that doesn't have a GME program to take you through residency (are they really concerned about creating good docs or do they just want to collect tuition). Not to say that you should do residency where you went to med school but it's just irresponsible to provide half of your training.

Very true. What's wrong with our Health Care System? People shout that we'll have a humongous physician shortage, but then nothing gets done to increase residency positions. I'm guessing that, like with everything else, there's just not enough money to fund it.

Very true. What's wrong with our Health Care System? People shout that we'll have a humongous physician shortage, but then nothing gets done to increase residency positions. I'm guessing that, like with everything else, there's just not enough money to fund it.

Yes, I think there is a suggestion that there will be a physician shortage. However, perhaps it also a question of placement and specialty, too? I mean, we need primary care physicians; we need doctors in underserved areas. As stated in a post above, many primary care residency slots go unfilled each year. It's not just a question of getting more bodies; we also need to place them in the right specialty and in the right places. Perhaps before we go and create more residency slots, we should fill the ones that are in need first? Also, I have heard it said that there will be a squeezing out of FMG's, which currently take some of the slots each year. I don't know, though. It's an interesting question.

Doubt if many more residency slots will be added when thousands of positions each year go to physicians trained outside of the LCME/AOA systems.

I realize I was actually thinking of the Robert Morris school, which isn't going to happen.

According to the last COCA news I've seen, the only two schools with pre-accrediation status were the now apparently defunct Robert Morris School and Rocky Vista. No mention of Barry as of yet...

Barry University does not own St George's.

Is this for real? I can't understand the motivation in the AOA accrediting this school. Can someone explain? :)

and more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. That's pretty good motivation for all of these schools. I believe they are talking about ownership by Carib school, which puts a lot of mulah-shmulah $$$$$$$$$$$$, and reinvests wisely. Anybody who has money could venture to open any school of any kind anywhere. The rest are the technicalities, IMHO.

The CO DO school has been in the works for a while now. It was discussed a few months ago. FYI, it's not a carribean school opening up DO school, but a new DO school which seems to be a for-profit school. It is not a branch school of the carribean school but simply a new DO school (like the ones popping up these past few years). I'd wager that its standards will be the same as the other new DO schools.

i agree. even though it clearly has connection to AUC (family ownership, money, staff), it will be just another DO school operating under the rules and regulations of the AOA.

ross tried to do this with an allopathic school a while back in wyoming, but the LCME shot them down. i guess the AOA is a little more lax with their guidelines.

either way, i hope the best for this new school.

i agree. even though it clearly has connection to AUC (family ownership, money, staff), it will be just another DO school operating under the rules and regulations of the AOA.

ross tried to do this with an allopathic school a while back in wyoming, but the LCME shot them down. i guess the AOA is a little more lax with their guidelines.

either way, i hope the best for this new school.

I suspect that COCA is a bit more lax than its MD counterpart seeing as a lot of new DO schools are popping up as opposed to MD schools.

I suspect that COCA is a bit more lax than its MD counterpart seeing as a lot of new DO schools are popping up as opposed to MD schools.

I think there's more regulations and monetary reguirements to open up an MD school than DO schools.

I read somewhere a while back which mentioned that it is so difficult to open up a new MD school that it takes the combined cooperation of the local state and city gov't and the university to really break ground.

Also, I think the requirements surrounding rotations are harder to implement (something about finding hospitals with X number of beds and Y number of patients running through it). And there's the minimal amount of money that LCME requires for people to have in the bank before a new MD school can open. I don't know what the requirements are for opening a new DO school but I'd wager there's not as many stipulations.

I think there's more regulations and monetary reguirements to open up an MD school than DO schools.

I read somewhere a while back which mentioned that it is so difficult to open up a new MD school that it takes the combined cooperation of the local state and city gov't and the university to really break ground.

Also, I think the requirements surrounding rotations are harder to implement (something about finding hospitals with X number of beds and Y number of patients running through it). And there's the minimal amount of money that LCME requires for people to have in the bank before a new MD school can open. I don't know what the requirements are for opening a new DO school but I'd wager there's not as many stipulations.

I believe the problem with the AUC MD school in wyoming was that it was a foreign medical school trying to establish itself in the US, that is without LCME accredation. The difference with this DO school is that it is an American school and will be accredited. I don't think the AOA will be as lax if a foreign DO school tried to open somewhere here the US.

I believe the problem with the AUC MD school in wyoming was that it was a foreign medical school trying to establish itself in the US, that is without LCME accredation. The difference with this DO school is that it is an American school and will be accredited. I don't think the AOA will be as lax if a foreign DO school tried to open somewhere here the US.

It was the ROSS MD school in Wyoming

HMM, interesting, I wonder if prefrence will be given to in state students ?

they couldnt think of a better name?

Hold on, is this RVU?

i was thinking the same thing?

this thread started in Feb so it is possible...