Americans who interviewed @ McGill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Rosewater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check the status page. You may find some great news :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I know how much you liked it! McGill is an awesome school.

Congrats!

thanks so much tezz. actually, i should probably say "merci"

Members don't see this ad :)
i am posting for a friend of mine.

she is wondering how exactly you tell if you are accepted. she said her status page has changed but is not sure what it means. and she cannot get them on the phone. here's what it says:

Application Data
Admit Term: Fall 2004

help? Thanks.

yup, i think when it goes from "ready for review" to "Admit term: Fall 2004" that means you're in.

So she's in then? She is going to be STOKED!!! Her fiancee is Canadian and this will make their lives SO much easier. Do you know if they send a letter now or something? Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
yup, i think when it goes from "ready for review" to "Admit term: Fall 2004" that means you're in.

Mr Rosewater,

Okay, she's afraid to believe she's in because she feels like her page may have always said Admit 2004. She thought that just indicated the year she's applying for. She cannot remember what the page used to look like though.... so the Admit 2004 is a new thing on yours? Thanks :)

yup, up until yesterday it said "Ready for Review." Also, I know that they were making decisions this week.

okay... she finally got thru to them and they told they had not decided on her yet and that decisions would be made on March 8 for int'l applicants and it would show up then on the site and they will mail a letter. so i am not sure if that applies to you also since they have a lot of different programs. if you do call to verify can you post what they say? she's confused because she thought they were making decision this week also. anyway, thanks for your help with this :)

WOW, that really sucks!!!! hopefully it's a misunderstanding. i'll let you know.

Dr. Rosewater, when did you interview?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
mr. rosewater,

please let me know. i'm so sorry to be the bringer of potentially bad news... this has totally ruined her day too. i hope you both did get in. are international applicants different from american applicants? maybe that is the confusion?

Hey mr. rosewater I interviewed on 1/30/04...how about u?

Originally posted by azpremed
mr. rosewater,

please let me know. i'm so sorry to be the bringer of potentially bad news... this has totally ruined her day too. i hope you both did get in. are international applicants different from american applicants? maybe that is the confusion?

aren't american applicants considered international because it is a canadian school?

the decisions are now up on the minerva site... grrrr, i'm on the wait list, which REALLY blows.

Originally posted by wesgirl04
the decisions are now up on the minerva site... grrrr, i'm on the wait list, which REALLY blows.

same here. i really thought the last "update" meant i was in. that was an extra painful fakeout.

Just wanted to update on my friend's McGill saga... after a few very confusing phone calls she found out yesterday when they updated the website that she got in. I'm really happy for her.

Mr Rosewater and wesgirl, sorry to hear about the waitlist, esp. in light of all the confusion :mad: I hope the waitlist moves for you guys... best of luck and thanks for the posts/info on McGill.

Awww man I'm waitlisted too :( I wonder when there will be movement

Waitlisted.
On my status page, there is a number next to the word "waitlist". Does that indicate my position on the waitlist?

"Waitlisted.
On my status page, there is a number next to the word "waitlist". Does that indicate my position on the waitlist?"

if that number is 32, then no, that is just the "status code number" click on the "help" section on the top of that page... it tells you all the numerical codes for admissions status

i called today tho... they said that the waitlist is ranked, but that it was their policy not to reveal what place each student has on that waitlist.
this uncertainty is killing me! i would have almost rather been flat out rejected so i could get on with my life. grr.

Do you guys know how many people they accepted and how many people are on the waitlist? I hope they didn't just waitlist everyone that they didn't accept... ahhh waiting sucksssss

my guess is that the accepted 22 people and WListed the rest of us.

I just got my snail-mail letter from McGill, I am on the waitlist. They want me to sign a statment and send it in to reserve my place on the waiting list. The statment says, in part "I wish to accept the offer to have my name placed on the waiting list made to me as a citizen of _____ and declare that, if accepted, I will register as such on August 11, 2004."

The way it's worded, it could be interpreted to mean that I am promising to attend McGill if I get accepted off the waitlist. ("If accepted, I will register...")

just to let you know, nearly everyone will get off the wait-list...mark my words

If you call them, they will tell you which HALF of the waitlist you are on, which isn't much, but it's something.

Don't give up hope.

Originally posted by YaNkEE-DoOdLe
just to let you know, nearly everyone will get off the wait-list...mark my words

not that i'm skeptical or anything, but how do you know this?

I noticed that yesterday the "32 - waiting list" was removed from my account page on minerva at McGill. It's still gone today. The page is now like it was before they released admissions decisions, in that period after the "ready for review" was removed. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? Anyone know what it means?

Originally posted by Nanomed Dreams
I noticed that yesterday the "32 - waiting list" was removed from my account page on minerva at McGill. It's still gone today. The page is now like it was before they released admissions decisions, in that period after the "ready for review" was removed. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

The same thing happened to me.

let us know if any of you get off the waitlist! I wonder when movement will occur

I wouldn't bet on too much movement for a while (at least a few weeks). Apparently they're waiting on the quebec government before they can open up any more spots, and we all know how fast governments work.

As for regular waitlist movement, there probably won't be much until that May 15th deadline for people to get rid of multiple acceptances.

Originally posted by Nanomed Dreams
I wouldn't bet on too much movement for a while (at least a few weeks). Apparently they're waiting on the quebec government before they can open up any more spots, and we all know how fast governments work.

As for regular waitlist movement, there probably won't be much until that May 15th deadline for people to get rid of multiple acceptances.

anyone else have any more info on them trying to open up more american slots? or any other relevant info?

Hey all, I'm a McGill student, using a friend's account. My take on it is this: there is a limited number of American students accepted, and this number is set by the provincial government, They will not transfer the Quebec spots to US students, because of government regulations. On the other hand, the US waitlist tends to move reasonably fast, because Americans will apply to many, many schools, and McGill is not necessarily their top choice. Since people who get accepted at McGill tend to have quite competitive stats, you do the math...

As for the online status, the waitlist-32 is just a code denoting that you're waitlisted. if you get accepted, it will say something like status: admitted with condition-02. This means that your admission is conditional upon finishing your undergraduate and paying the $500 deposit.

Good luck, everybody. I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

Darcy, thanks for the input, what you're saying agrees with what I have already heard. About opening spots. Apparently, there are usually 22 spots at McGill for international students. This year, however, the Quebec government has decided that they will reduce that number, but has not decided by how many. Consequently, the faculty of medicine has only admitted 12 students so far, which they seem to see as a safe number (ie. the government will let them take at least that many).

Now, when they hear from the government, as long as they are allowed to admit more than 12 students this year, they will be able to open up those extra spots. That was what I was talking about. This is what the admissions office told me when I called. Now, they were supposed to hear from the govmnt by the end of March, but that didn't happen. If you have any more information about his situation, or when the government might get back to them, that would be highly appreciated.

OMG, just 12 americans this year?? that really sucks if that's all they end up being allowed.

My impression was that they think the limit will be higher than 12 (otherwise 12 wouldn't have been a good safety margin), but they still need to hear from the government.

Incidentally, I think this is a case where the faculty would love to admit more americans. Supposedly, they used to have 40% of their class from the US (I remember the assistant dean saying this at the interview). Having US graduates (and other international graduates) allows them to have a better international reputation, which they like. After all, you can't have an international reputation unless you have graduates who work internationally.

However, I suspect that the government wants them to train doctors who will stay in Canada, which they think is more likely if they are Canadian citizens, which is why the restrictions are getting more stringent.

anyone hear any news from mcgill yet?

Nothing here. I called them Thursday, I think it was and they said there had been no movement yet on the waiting list. They didn't think there would be much until either April 15th or if the quebec government gives them a higher quota.

Nanomed Dreams said:
Having US graduates (and other international graduates) allows them to have a better international reputation, which they like. After all, you can't have an international reputation unless you have graduates who work internationally.

McGill likes international students because you pay international student dollars. The Quebec and out-of-province Canadian tuition is super low and the school needs money.

winstonm said:
McGill likes international students because you pay international student dollars. The Quebec and out-of-province Canadian tuition is super low and the school needs money.

i don't think this difference in tuition makes much of a difference to a med school budget. it just doesn't seem likely to me.

Have you looked at their Quebec resident tuition? Quebec universities, much to the delight of many Quebec students, have been under tuition caps for years.

Toronto's medical tuition is $17000 CAD.

McGill's Quebec tuition is $3600, non-Quebec Canadian $9400, Int'l $23200.

It doesn't make financial sense for the Quebec government to subsidize the education of other Canadian students to the extent that it would have to given the $9400 tuition. That's probably the main reason only 5 are let in each year. 22 international students gives a much bigger boost to the budget though. In fact, Toronto has repeatedly justified massive tuition raises in law and medicine by saying that the increases are necessary to fund things that will allow the programs to compete with US schools.

The arguement that McGill still needs to let in that many Americans who return to the US so it can maintain it's rep is foolish. Good science/medicine is recognized as such regardless of where it occurs. Insulin isn't any less recognized because it was discovered in Canada. A McGill grad was one of the four people who helped give Hopkins the reputation it has had since the Flexner report. No top US med school has anywhere near the same percentage of foreign students, and their reps don't suffer a bit. Money plays a big part in how McGill works.

any of you get off the waitlist yet?

i called recentely and was told that there hadn't been any movement yet. anyone else got any info?

winstonm said:
Money plays a big part in how McGill works.

yup, money talks, which is not a bad thing. otherwise, why does everyone want to go to harvard and yale?

I GOT IN!!!!! :)
check the minerva site today... i think that they finally increased their american quota/started moving the waitlist!

wesgirl04 said:
check the minerva site today... i think that they finally increased their american quota/started moving the waitlist!

congrats. so are you going?

wesgirl04 said:

I checked the Minerva site today-- There was a new button there for "accept position on waitlist" that I didn't see before. I clicked it, and it said they put me on the waitlist. ??

Greetings. Throwing in my dead weight as another wait-listee :(

Anyone else heard anything in the past couple of weeks?