America's Emergency Care gets terrible grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NREMTP

Is Chillin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw this on CNN.com and thought I would share. For those of us that have worked in and around ED's find this as no surprise. I didn't think it was quite this bad everywhere. Now that this is out there, maybe (hopefully) somebody (Obama) can/will do something about. Anyway...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28148474/

Members don't see this ad.

Do people honestly think that Obama is going to wave some sort of magic wand around and simply fix everything that people view as broken in this country?? When was the last time any president did such a thing?

Here's a link to the actual ACEP report, with a breakdown of their grades by each state. Very interesting to scroll through and compare different regions of the country in the report.

http://www.emreportcard.org/

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people honestly think that Obama is going to wave some sort of magic wand around and simply fix everything that people view as broken in this country?? When was the last time any president did such a thing?

Well... to be fair, the article ends with this:

Comprehensive reform urged
The doctors’ group called on Congress and the incoming Obama administration to enact a comprehensive health care reform program with an emphasis on boosting resources for emergency departments.

Reform of federal and state liability regulations is also critical, the report said, to lure qualified doctors and nurses back into emergency rooms.

“Emergency medical care is the most overlooked part of our health care system, and also the one everyone depends on in their hours of need,” Jouriles said. “Policy-makers must make strengthening emergency departments a national priority.”

The OP may have to referring to that. Not a fix for everything but a step in the right direction?

Ha ha! #49, we kicked your butt!

not really...

Well... to be fair, the article ends with this:

The OP may have to referring to that. Not a fix for everything but a step in the right direction?

Yeah, I read that part. I just have a hard time believing the U.S. government will ever fix the root of any problem. They tend to put on small patches and wrap it up with bows and shiny wrapping paper in order to please the masses.

Anyways, I live in an area that voted basically 80% Obama, so there's rarely a day that goes by that I don't hear something along the lines of, "Just wait until Obama gets into office, that will all change..."

Nevertheless, hopefully some changes do occur to help alleviate the strain that many EDs are feeling all across the nation.

Alright, enough seriousness.

Of course! HE will fix everything because he's the Messiah. He can wave his hand and turn saline into Zosyn!

Seriously though, any "reforms" enacted by the government are likely to negatively impact reimbursement.

If they really want to "reform" things, get rid of medical malpractice system, get rid of "Core Measures" and HIPAA.

Of course! HE will fix everything because he's the Messiah. He can wave his hand and turn saline into Zosyn!

Seriously though, any "reforms" enacted by the government are likely to negatively impact reimbursement.

If they really want to "reform" things, get rid of medical malpractice system, get rid of "Core Measures" and HIPAA.

Let's also get rid of EMTALA, IRB review boards, and ethics committees while we're at it. Who needs all these pesky 'regulations' anyway?

:rolleyes:

Let's also get rid of EMTALA, IRB review boards, and ethics committees while we're at it. Who needs all these pesky 'regulations' anyway?

:rolleyes:

Don't you :rolleyes: at me! You can't seriously believe that the CORE measures (not based on evidence) do anything but cost us extra time and money. Just wait until you're a resident and you're constantly pestered about giving beta-blockers to patients who clearly don't have an MI, or antibiotics at 4 hours and 5 minutes.

If I'm going to be limited to making 80-100K per year under Obamacare, then my productivity is going to drop, I guarantee it.

If you won't work for $1 a year like the auto CEOs I feel sorry for your patients...

:corny:

If you won't work for $1 a year like the auto CEOs I feel sorry for your patients...

:corny:

When I started med school, it was expected that your career goals included volunteering at free clinics, doing overseas missions, and living the frugal life of a benedictine monk. One student was roundly criticized by the dean for talking about what kind of Mercedes he was going to buy.

I guess I should give away all my material possessions and work 20/hours a day for no pay.

I hope that my statement was ludicrous enough to make it obvious I was kidding... (especially with the popcorn icon) I'm never sure because it's so hard to denote sarcasm in electronic form. :)

However, if the benedictine route is still your plan... I've got some pretty mean chants for you...

I just saw this on CNN.com and thought I would share. For those of us that have worked in and around ED's find this as no surprise. I didn't think it was quite this bad everywhere. Now that this is out there, maybe (hopefully) somebody (Obama) can/will do something about. Anyway...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28148474/
As I read this article on msnbc.com there was an ad in a popup window for Cymbalta "Do you have Fibromyalgia?"

This is what is wrong with the healthcare system...we dont treat disease, we treat people's neurosis....

As I read this article on msnbc.com there was an ad in a popup window for Cymbalta "Do you have Fibromyalgia?"

This is what is wrong with the healthcare system...we dont treat disease, we treat people's neurosis....

If I had my way I'd kick all the fibromyalgia, "chronic abdominal pain" and narcotics withdrawal out the door. Unfortunately JACHO says I have to treat their pain, and the hospital tracks patient satisfaction. Patients are now referred to as "customers". THAT is the problem with the system.

"America's Emergency Care gets terrible grades " - As compared to who??

Canada? The UK? Estonia?

Canada? The UK? Estonia?
I'd like to wait in Germany, get treated in the US and get billed in the UK.

Canada? The UK? Estonia?

Sometimes ACEP's political initiatives do more harm than good to EM as a speciality.

By complaining about "failing grades" they are expecting the government to cough up more money for emergency care. The likelihood of this happening is next to zero.

ACEP should be careful what they wish for, as they just might get change.....just not the kind that we can believe in. The government may put more into ERs, but they may decide to cut medicare reimbursement, or initiate more "CORE Measures" to improve patient care.

Canada? The UK? Estonia?
Estonia is ALWAYS f***ing it up for the rest of us. Damn you, Etonia!! To hell with your superb emergency care!!