America's Most Overrated Product: the Bachelor's Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah.

That's why God invented the humanities.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. I did.

You're just not very bright. It's perfectly fine. Neither is Maya Angelou.

EDIT: Neither is the article's author.

You're just not very bright. It's perfectly fine. Neither is Maya Angelou.
Maya Angelou: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hat tip to you, sir.

if it wasnt for wanting to go into medicine
i might not have went to college - seems like a waste of time

i can learn all this stuff on my own

if it wasnt for wanting to go into medicine
i might not have went to college - seems like a waste of time

i can learn all this stuff on my own
yeah, you can...but you wont get the job without the diploma.

^ I think you mean "I might not have gone..."

Edit: to scrubswannabe

Very humorous, WD, considering that this is the eve of your very last exams before you receive your degree. Instead of studying, you're reading articles telling you your degree is worthless. There's definitely a sitcom in this.

Very humorous, WD, considering that this is the eve of your very last exams before you receive your degree. Instead of studying, you're reading articles telling you your degree is worthless. There's definitely a sitcom in this.

I'm done stuyding for the night. Have been for a while now. I know the material better then I thought. So it took a lot less time.

Ave income high school grad

vs.

Ave income college grad

/thread

I love articles that cite countless studies, yet never give the sample size.

Of course a lot of people are going to say they feel "bored" in class. Who doesn't feel bored during the day... no matter what you are doing?

People need to learn to mature, eventually a kid needs to grow up and become an adult. It's not like businesses should feel responsible because they have unsuccessful or bad employees, they fire them and get new ones.

Time to be a big boy, tommy

Seems like some degrees are useful and others aren't... Comp sci, comp engineering, nursing to name a few are quite useful and garner good salaries.

Biology a bachelors SUCKS. I have been in the work force with my B.S. in Bio for the last few years and you have jobs alongside people with no degrees... My current position "requires" a degree, yes I never need ANYTHING I learned, and my salary is lower than if I had just worked at a joe job for the past 7 years...

Just saying, depends on what the degree is in...

yeah.. i tend to think that a lot of this has to do with those students who are at college, yet really shouldn't be. The problem is that this is hard to objectively determine. I have a friend from HS that graduated at about the middle of her class (I went to a crappy public hs BTW), and is now a second year medical student.. ya never know

The take-home lessons:

--IQ determines a lot of your educational and vocational success; if you're dumb enough to be bad at HS, you'll probably be bad at life in general
--There are a lot more colleges today than decades ago. But the number of "real colleges" has stayed relatively constant
--Credentialing is more important than actual educational achievement at the undergraduate level

I don't understand the title of that article: it was mainly about students who FAIL to get their bachelors degree. Why would this make them overrated?

Also:
Today, amazingly, a majority of the students whom colleges admit are grossly underprepared. Only 23 percent of the 1.3 million high-school graduates of 2007 who took the ACT examination were ready for college-level work in the core subjects of English, math, reading, and science.

This isn't a surprise - the only people who took the ACT in my school were the ones who couldnt handle the SAT