AmeriCorps - applying to med school while out for service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schadret

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My daughter wants to do AmeriCorps during her 1st gap year and we're looking for information on how to handle the med school application process during that time.

The AmeriCorps fall "term" generally looks to run from 10/1/yy to 8/1/yy+1. The AMCAS application opens in May while she'd still be out with AmeriCorps. Not knowing much about AmeriCorps yet (how much free time you have, allowances for taking days off, etc.), she's wondering if anyone here has gone through it, and if it will be feasible to do the application and secondary essays while still out with AmeriCorps.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on what program she's in. My program was pretty much a 40-50 hour work week and had time during the evenings and weekends to get whatever done. If she's in something health related I would assume it's something closer to that. I think she'll be pretty busy but if you're organized and start early with the writing its certainly possible...

Is she going to apply before she starts her service year or towards the end of her service year?

Agreed with the above. AmeriCorps has many different branches and service types (direct service vs. capacity building). I am currently serving with AmeriCorps VISTA (capacity building service in an office setting). It's a one-year full-time commitment, so I work M-F (30-40 hrs/week), BUT I get 10 personal days off and 10 sick days off which was plenty of time off to do interviews and still have vacation time. With this program, there was plenty of time to write secondaries (I already submitted the primary before starting service)

Members don't see this ad :)
She doesn't know which program specifically yet since it won't be until next year and she hasn't finished researching them all, but she's trying to plan out her general timeline to make sure it's doable. Based on what we've found so far she'd be applying to med school towards the end of service (the service dates we found were generally October to August and she'd be applying in May, so about 8 months into the service period.)

Thanks for the feedback. She's great with time management and getting stuff done, so that fact that you've said you had plenty of time to write secondaries and were able to do interviews answers what she needs to know.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I am currently an AmeriCorps member with the National Health Corps Florida AmeriCorps program which is a more health care related program. Many of our members serve in hospitals, clinics, addiction treatment centers, etc. There are programs in different states across the country as well. My program runs from August to July, so it should not be too big of a problem with secondaries especially if your daughter is applying towards the end of the service term. Many members are starting their applications for this next cycle and find it totally feasible. We are also able to take days off as needed if reasonable. We work 40-50 hour weeks as well, so weekends/evenings are free to do whatever.

The application process is on the website Apply | NHC. The program is recruiting in waves this year, and the last wave date to apply just passed, BUT if there are still slots open, more dates will become available to apply. Just wanted to put NHC on your daughter's radar! I personally think its a great program, and many of the members (myself included!) in my program are going to some great medical schools next year! PM me or reply if you have any questions about applications, my experience, want more details about the program, etc! Happy to answer :)

My daughter wants to do AmeriCorps during her 1st gap year and we're looking for information on how to handle the med school application process during that time.

The AmeriCorps fall "term" generally looks to run from 10/1/yy to 8/1/yy+1. The AMCAS application opens in May while she'd still be out with AmeriCorps. Not knowing much about AmeriCorps yet (how much free time you have, allowances for taking days off, etc.), she's wondering if anyone here has gone through it, and if it will be feasible to do the application and secondary essays while still out with AmeriCorps.

Thanks.
Hello!
I've done two AmeriCorps programs (NCCC and S/N) in the past during my gap years. Like the posts above have said, AmeriCorps has different programs that operate in different ways. AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps is a 10-month program that requires full-time service commitment. Under this program, you are sent to campus for training for 1.5 months and then spend the rest of the time service in different projects throughout your region. I was planning on applying during my NCCC term but it did not work out. NCCC has a pretty intense schedule, when you are not serving at your site, you have to engage in other team activities such as physical training, specialty role meetings, team meetings, duty (basically cleaning) ect. You don't have a lot of free time and the free time that you do have you'll for sure want to spend hanging out with your team, exploring the area, and taking advantage of the really cool and once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that is NCCC. You also have no control over which projects you get sent on. On my term, I was sent to a camp in the middle of a forest, with no internet or cell phone reception for a project that lasted from April to June, peak application preparing time. My team only went into town once a week, as it was a one-and-a-half-hour trip each time. Also, you don't get a lot of days off in NCCC, and there are certain days on transition where you are absolutely not allowed to take off. I would advise against applying if this is the AmeriCorps program she is interested in.

I also served in a state and national program that was more healthcare-related. I applied to medical school during this time and it worked out. I served a typical 37 hours a week and I felt like I had plenty of time to work on my applications. I was also honest with my program directors and informed them that I would be applying to medical schools, and they were extremely flexible with me taking days off for interviews. However, state and national, and vista programs can differ ALOT depending on the site, so I would try to find online reviews or ask previous members about how flexible the program is.

If you have any other questions about either program, feel free to PM me! I will say that NCCC was probably the most adventurous and unique experience, and my S/N term gave me a ton to talk about during interviews and helped me stand out.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along to my daughter (and remind her to make an account here so she can start posting instead of me) and see if there are any questions!

Reactions: 1 user