AmeriCorps Economically Disadvantaged

DaredevilDO

May 21, 2012
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am currently volunteering full-time with AmeriCorps. I make about half minimum wage per hour, which works out to around 100% the federal poverty level and I am on food stamps as well. However, I have grown up working class/lower middle class with a cabbie dad and lab tech mom up until my AmeriCorps job. Given my family background, but considering I am not supported by anyone else, does this mean that I am considered economically disadvantaged?

MedPR

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Dec 1, 2011
    1. Pre-Podiatry
      I am currently volunteering full-time with AmeriCorps. I make about half minimum wage per hour, which works out to around 100% the federal poverty level and I am on food stamps as well. However, I have grown up working class/lower middle class with a cabbie dad and lab tech mom up until my AmeriCorps job. Given my family background, but considering I am not supported by anyone else, does this mean that I am considered economically disadvantaged?

No.

Interviewer: So I see you marked the disadvantaged box on AMCAS, why do you think you're disadvantaged?
      You: Well, I make 1/2 minimum wage and receive foodstamps. I'm also at 100% the federal poverty level.
      Interviewer: So you chose to be in this position. What about all the other disadvantaged students who are there not by choice?
      You: :confused:

I was asked that question by an interviewer, but fortunately :)rolleyes:) for me I grew up poor and in a medically underserved area so I didn't get any follow up questions.

Secondly, "100% of the federal poverty level" means you make double what the people right at the poverty line make. Sorry, not disadvantaged even if you were there not by choice.

About the Ads

gyngyn

Alta California
      Staff member
      Administrator
      Volunteer Staff
      7+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Gold Member
      Nov 4, 2011
      1. Attending Physician
        This is uncomfortably close to the applicant who declared disavantaged status because his children were on foodstamps due to his diversion of funds to the application process

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.