removed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gadgor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

The Americorps position I am very interested in is for only 6 months and will end at the summer of 2017, which is about the time I am thinking about applying. Will schools question the length of my service?
You will have approximately 15x the amount of volunteering hours I had listed on my primary. 9 II later I'm doing ok.

Reactions: 1 user
Same position here man, I'm doing it. As long as it seems feasible you can finish your committed hours you should be fine. What are you doing for Americorps?

Hi everyone,

The Americorps position I am very interested in is for only 6 months and will end at the summer of 2017, which is about the time I am thinking about applying. Will schools question the length of my service?

You will be giving up 6 months of your life to service/volunteering. No one is going to question that.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

They will only question you if you try to pass off collecting a paycheck from AmeriCorps every couple of weeks as "volunteering".

I did 450 hours with AmeriCorps over a <1 year period, and it got me accepted to Tulane. It's very highly regarded here.

They will only question you if you try to pass off collecting a paycheck from AmeriCorps every couple of weeks as "volunteering".

I did 450 hours with AmeriCorps over a <1 year period, and it got me accepted to Tulane. It's very highly regarded here.

Sorry to derail the thread - but are you implying that's it's bad to classify americorps as volunteering? I'm in it right now and want to know for when I apply in 2017

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sorry to derail the thread - but are you implying that's it's bad to classify americorps as volunteering? I'm in it right now and want to know for when I apply in 2017
The University of Utah wants you to list service / volunteer hours on their form -

http://medicine.utah.edu/students/programs/md/admissions/self-assessment.pdf

They specifically say the hours have to be "without guarantee of reward or compensation". I called them up one day and asked them if AmeriCorps counted as service / volunteer hours. They said "of course not".

When I did my 450 hours of AmeriCorps, I made $3,000 in ordinary W-2 wage income, and another $1,500 of financial aid, also reportable as income on my taxes. I was working in a nursing home, alongside employees. I was making $4,500 / 450 = $10 an hour for my efforts. The employees were making $9 / hr.

Do you think I was volunteering?

The University of Utah wants you to list service / volunteer hours on their form -

http://medicine.utah.edu/students/programs/md/admissions/self-assessment.pdf

They specifically say the hours have to be "without guarantee of reward or compensation". I called them up one day and asked them if AmeriCorps counted as service / volunteer hours. They said "of course not".

When I did my 450 hours of AmeriCorps, I made $3,000 in ordinary W-2 wage income, and another $1,500 of financial aid, also reportable as income on my taxes. I was working in a nursing home, alongside employees. I was making $4,500 / 450 = $10 an hour for my efforts. The employees were making $9 / hr.

Do you think I was volunteering?

I see, but my company is very against us calling it "work". We're all referred to as volunteers. How did you list it on AAMCAS - was it "americorps volunteer" but classified under job?

Tulane was ok with it being classified as job? Just checking bc people have been telling me that it's counted as volunteering, so places like Rush and Tulane would be happy.

I see, but my company is very against us calling it "work". We're all referred to as volunteers. How did you list it on AAMCAS - was it "americorps volunteer" but classified under job?

Tulane was ok with it being classified as job? Just checking bc people have been telling me that it's counted as volunteering, so places like Rush and Tulane would be happy.

Are you getting paid? If so, you aren't a volunteer. We always call ourselves "AmeriCorps members". We're not employed by our service sites, but we're also not volunteers by any means. We receive compensation, so it is definitely a job. It should be listed as paid employment. I'm guessing schools know what AmeriCorps is, and that it's a job. Also note that Rush asks for "Community Service", which doesn't necessarily mean volunteering, in my mind at least.

I can't help you much with AMCAS because it has changed a lot since I applied. I do know that the Tulane secondary had a box to check if you had done AmeriCorps and if you checked it your odds increased enormously.

One of the benefits of doing AmeriCorps is that you have a ready example when on an interview they ask if you have ever had an ethical conflict and how did you resolve it. If the government hands you a paycheck and tells you to call it volunteering, do you call yourself a volunteer?

It also teaches you a lot about the doublespeak (a.k.a. "flat out lying") that is federal employment, if you've ever considered military medicine or working for the VA when you are done.

On a similar note, I am a returned peace corps volunteer, and I listed that experience as paid employment, since we get a stipend. Schools will still look highly on it and consider it "volunteering" even though you list it as employment (at least that's what I've heard)

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

I don't think it really matters what you classify it as, schools know what AmeriCorps is. Fwiw I listed it as volunteering and have done just fine this cycle.

I listed my Americorps service year as paid employment, but pretty sure they don't care either way. They know what Ameircorps is, and it's respected (especially if related to health field in some way). It's been brought up during all of my interviews. I say go for it!