Amino Acids and Carbohydrates Ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeefan86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if this is on the DAT?!? I seeing these reappear on topscore and destroyer. guess im going to have to study them =/

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if this is on the DAT?!? I seeing these reappear on topscore and destroyer. guess im going to have to study them =/

yes chad has this as his last chapter. its not that bad just know the mutoration as CH2OH above the ring. also I saw questions like enantiomers of the D-Glucose? the answer is L-Glucose. Zwitterion and other little annoying facts lol

when are you taking your exam?

yes chad has this as his last chapter. its not that bad just know the mutoration as CH2OH above the ring. also I saw questions like enantiomers of the D-Glucose? the answer is L-Glucose. Zwitterion and other little annoying facts lol

Im taking the exam june 2nd, and im sh*tting my pants right now lol

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought mutoration is related to the alpha and beta OH, not that D-sugar CH2OH. Correct me if i am wrong.

I thought mutoration is related to the alpha and beta OH, not that D-sugar CH2OH. Correct me if i am wrong.

yea I think you're right. mutorotation refers to the anomeric carbon with alpha and beta. The CH2OH group on glucose is to tell if the sugar is D or L. I believe if the group is up its D and if its down its L. Does that sound right? I know it has something to do with D/L.

yea I think you're right. mutorotation refers to the anomeric carbon with alpha and beta. The CH2OH group on glucose is to tell if the sugar is D or L. I believe if the group is up its D and if its down its L. Does that sound right? I know it has something to do with D/L.

my bad, i made a boo boo. i mean that a D-Sugar has a CH2OH group above the ring.

There are some connections here that you guys are not talking about. Knowing the connections, makes understanding and remembering the D - L stuff pretty easy.

-D glucose and L glucose refer to which way that molecule rotates light. "D" being dextrorotary (right), "L" being levrotatry (left). This is easiest to spot in a straight chain drawing. http://www.chem.ualberta.ca/~vederas/Chem_263/images/Resource%20Folder/glc_Dsugar.gif . Carbon #5 has the OH on the "RIGHT" side of the chain in a "D" glucose. The only confirmation in our bodies is "D". I think the best way to remember this is to say that "The only sugar in my body is on DA RIGHT. The L confirmation you will find in Plant's.

When you re-draw a straight chain confirmation of Glucose into a cyclic confirmation. Every thing on the right side of the chain will be on the bottom side of the ring in the cyclic confirmation. So, "DA RIGHT" OH will be on the bottom of the ring. and LA WRONG OH for our bodies will go from the left side of the straight chain to being on top of the cyclic confirmation.

Now, for D glucose, the OH will be on the bottom of the ring at the anomeric carbon position while in the cyclic confirmation. An OH in the down position is referred to as ALPHA. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Glucose_Haworth.png
If the OH is on top it is referred to as BETA.
I remember this by saying "Since I am an ALPHA male, I need DA RIGHT sugar in my body."

When we take this up a level to starch and cellulose. Starch is a glucose polymer connected by ALPHA 1-4 bondage. "Since I am an ALPHA male, I need to eat some STARCH because it has DA RIGHT sugar for my body."

Cellulose is the structural component in for plants and our body can't digest it. Plant's have L confirmations straight chain glucose where the OH is in the BETA (top) position in the cyclic form. 1-4-BETA-linkage of Glucose is what makes cellulose and chitin. Both of which are structure uses, not digestive.

Hope that helps.

There are some connections here that you guys are not talking about. Knowing the connections, makes understanding and remembering the D - L stuff pretty easy.

-D glucose and L glucose refer to which way that molecule rotates light. "D" being dextrorotary (right), "L" being levrotatry (left). This is easiest to spot in a straight chain drawing. http://www.chem.ualberta.ca/~vederas/Chem_263/images/Resource%20Folder/glc_Dsugar.gif . Carbon #5 has the OH on the "RIGHT" side of the chain in a "D" glucose. The only confirmation in our bodies is "D". I think the best way to remember this is to say that "The only sugar in my body is on DA RIGHT. The L confirmation you will find in Plant's.

When you re-draw a straight chain confirmation of Glucose into a cyclic confirmation. Every thing on the right side of the chain will be on the bottom side of the ring in the cyclic confirmation. So, "DA RIGHT" OH will be on the bottom of the ring. and LA WRONG OH for our bodies will go from the left side of the straight chain to being on top of the cyclic confirmation.

Now, for D glucose, the OH will be on the bottom of the ring at the anomeric carbon position while in the cyclic confirmation. An OH in the down position is referred to as ALPHA. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Glucose_Haworth.png
If the OH is on top it is referred to as BETA.
I remember this by saying "Since I am an ALPHA male, I need DA RIGHT sugar in my body."

When we take this up a level to starch and cellulose. Starch is a glucose polymer connected by ALPHA 1-4 bondage. "Since I am an ALPHA male, I need to eat some STARCH because it has DA RIGHT sugar for my body."

Cellulose is the structural component in for plants and our body can't digest it. Plant's have L confirmations straight chain glucose where the OH is in the BETA (top) position in the cyclic form. 1-4-BETA-linkage of Glucose is what makes cellulose and chitin. Both of which are structure uses, not digestive.

Hope that helps.

thanks dude