Amino Acids

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if we should memorize all 20 ammino acids? Have any of you guys faced a question on the MCAT (practice or not) in which memorization of them was essential?

Not really. However, you should have a general idea as to what a generic amino acid looks like (NH2-CHR-COOH, except for glycine, which is NH2-CH2-COOH. Also, amino acids exist in their zwitterion form in the cellular environment at the physiological pH of 7.4) which amino acids are polar, which are acidic (aspartic acid and glutamic acid) and which are basic (HAL or histidine, arginine, and lysine).

Last edited:
    About the Ads

IveyGirl

Apr 24, 2009
    Boston
    1. Pre-Medical
      unnecessary. the only ones you should know for sure are glycine and maybe proline. however, I'd know the pKa values for COOH and NH3 (the COOH is around 2 and the NH3 is around 9). this helps with determining protonation states in solutions of different pH values.

if you had the additional time i'd just try to semi-memorize which amino acids belong in which category (i.e. nonpolar, basic, acidic, polar, etc.)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.