Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Amount of class/curriculae? (sp?)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SeventhSon, Dec 3, 2005.

1. SeventhSon

SeventhSon SIMMER DOWN
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    Does anyone know a place where there is a list of all school's amount (hrs/week) of class time and type of curriculum?

Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Keily

Keily Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I am looking for this info, too...................................can anyone tell us????

4. rugtrousers

rugtrousers Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As an MS4 on the other end of the process, I can't tell you how much the curriculum type doesn't matter. It's a good question to ask on the interview trail, and I was concerned with it too, but it's much more important to figure out how happy the students are, how prepared they feel for the boards and wards, and what kind of relationship they have with the faculty.

An important curriculum question to ask, however, is whether there are grades the first two years. It is much less stressful to go to a school where there is a pass/fail (not honors/pass/fail) system the first two years.

With regard to class time, again, see how happy the students are. I go a school with 19 hours of class per week, and I think I would shrivel up if I had 40 hrs/week.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

5. SeventhSon

SeventhSon SIMMER DOWN
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    yeah my principal interest is in class time. I study best on my own, and I think I would fit in the best with a program that encouraged like-minded students as well.

6. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

Hey SeventhSon,

This is a survey put on by AMSA, and the data includes avg. hours per week of classtime, as reported by students. Its a few years old, so I dont know how useful it is, but it may help for some schools.

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/