1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Amount of Organic on MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by James Bond 007, Jul 16, 2006.

1. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I do not recall their being a single passage devoted exclusively to Organic Chemistry when I took the MCAT last August.

I just wanted to know if this was the case for any individuals who took the test in April 2006?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. R.P. McMurphy

Pre-Medical
    I only had 1 organic passage, but it was all organic. I think I also had about 3 discrete organic questions

4. ChymeChancellor

ChymeChancellor Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    Two organic passages here. They covered pretty basic topics though. One was on stereochemistry and another had this synthesis pathway thing... although I thought it had more to do with biochem. I recall having about 5 discretes on organic. None of them were too tough though. Your best bet for the organic sections is to get the basics down. That's all they seem to really test on. Also, know your spectroscopy... but don't knock yourself out over them. Just know alcohols, carbonyls... just the basics.

5. pej722

pej722 Member
    10+ Year Member

Yep, I also had very few questions on organic chem. Don't waste a lot of time on it. If you're pressed for time better to review biology

6. coralfangs

coralfangs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ya i agree, i have never met anyone who had more than 4 orgo passages
    i had 2 i think
    one completely murdered me, as in i didn't know what's going on with those crazy-ass orgo names

just know the basic for orgo, like where does each electron go and that is IT

7. Aurora013

Aurora013 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Really know stereochemistry/naming, understand electron movement (you have to be able to figure it out based on what they provide, or interpret what's given), and all the IR/NMR values for the basic groups. I had two orgo passages, and one was a really complex reactor that I couldn't even begin to interpret...

8. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    When you guys say discretes, you mean questions not based on passages?

9. Dr Durden

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, discrete = no passage and as I'm sure you're aware by now, they appear in clusters.

10. KeyLime

10+ Year Member

I had 2 organic passages, and they were pretty rough. I also took the test in April 05, and had about 40% organic, so it can vary from test to test.
    I mostly guessed on the two organic passages that I had on the April 06 test, and I think that it hurt my Bio score. I would like to be able to tell you to forget about organic, but I think that I could have scored higher had I paid more attention in my PR organic class. Practice looking at large reactions with several steps so you don't freak out like I did on the actual thing.