James Bond 007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2004
Status
I do not recall their being a single passage devoted exclusively to Organic Chemistry when I took the MCAT last August.

I just wanted to know if this was the case for any individuals who took the test in April 2006?

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I only had 1 organic passage, but it was all organic. I think I also had about 3 discrete organic questions

ChymeChancellor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Two organic passages here. They covered pretty basic topics though. One was on stereochemistry and another had this synthesis pathway thing... although I thought it had more to do with biochem. I recall having about 5 discretes on organic. None of them were too tough though. Your best bet for the organic sections is to get the basics down. That's all they seem to really test on. Also, know your spectroscopy... but don't knock yourself out over them. Just know alcohols, carbonyls... just the basics.

About the Ads

pej722

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Yep, I also had very few questions on organic chem. Don't waste a lot of time on it. If you're pressed for time better to review biology

coralfangs

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
ya i agree, i have never met anyone who had more than 4 orgo passages
i had 2 i think
one completely murdered me, as in i didn't know what's going on with those crazy-ass orgo names

just know the basic for orgo, like where does each electron go and that is IT

Aurora013

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Really know stereochemistry/naming, understand electron movement (you have to be able to figure it out based on what they provide, or interpret what's given), and all the IR/NMR values for the basic groups. I had two orgo passages, and one was a really complex reactor that I couldn't even begin to interpret...

WilliamsF1

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
When you guys say discretes, you mean questions not based on passages?

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
I had 2 organic passages, and they were pretty rough. I also took the test in April 05, and had about 40% organic, so it can vary from test to test.
I mostly guessed on the two organic passages that I had on the April 06 test, and I think that it hurt my Bio score. I would like to be able to tell you to forget about organic, but I think that I could have scored higher had I paid more attention in my PR organic class. Practice looking at large reactions with several steps so you don't freak out like I did on the actual thing.

About the Ads