Amount of ORGO in recent MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr octagon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me as to the amount of Organic Chemistry that has appeared on recent MCATS? I've heard that though the AAMC practice tests have a good amount, the more recent MCATs focus more on Biology and contain less Organic. Can anyone weigh in with an educated response? My reason for asking is that I do amazingly well on all the Biology passages but don't do so hot in the Organic passages (despite studying and doing well in Orgo) and I usually end up with around a 9-10 (on the AAMC prac tests) when I want a consistent 10+ (on my actual one coming up on 7/29).

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the amount of Organic Chemistry that has appeared on recent MCATS? I've heard that though the AAMC practice tests have a good amount, the more recent MCATs focus more on Biology and contain less Organic. Can anyone weigh in with an educated response? My reason for asking is that I do amazingly well on all the Biology passages but don't do so hot in the Organic passages (despite studying and doing well in Orgo) and I usually end up with around a 9-10 (on the AAMC prac tests) when I want a consistent 10+ (on my actual one coming up on 7/29).

I had one passage on sugars which is not eve 100% orgo and around 3 free standing questions. It sounds like there isnt much these days, which was unfortunate for me.

the recent official test i took had very little orgo, maybe even a little bit less than i saw on aamc practice tests (which was already minimal)

but i know of at least one official test within the past 3 months that supposedly had a seemingly disproportionate amount of orgo .. i forget which, though.

i didn't do too well in my orgo class, but i never felt really uncomfortable reasoning through the passages and i almost always did fine on them. on the official test i just took, though, there were a lot more memorization specifics that caught me off guard ... for ex: naming types of compounds ... which is supposed to be incredibly easy, but i didn't get it because i didn't study specifics. /facepalm

Thanks for the response! I feel slightly better knowing that I wont have to deal with as much orgo on the actual exam (hopefully) :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it last Friday and there was only 1 organic passage. Not sure how many discretes, but at least a couple. I would have preferred more, to be honest.

I took a test last August and one in May. The August one was chock full of Organic passages. The May one had very little Organic (approximately 1 passage plus a few discrete questions).

the recent trend has been that the amount of orgo is very little in most tests but then there is ONE test between the majority of test dates which has a disproportionate amount of it. just do the best you can with the material and hope you get the one with less orgo! haha